parking issue

Ohioguy

May 31, 2010, 9:00:54 PM5/31/10
My wife commutes to her job downtown. Previously she rode the bus,
but we moved out into the suburbs. There is only one place with a
convenient parking lot nearby, which is a welding company. My wife
picked that parking lot because it was close, and wouldn't require her
to walk through several dimly lit parking lots to get to her car.

Well ... they put her in an edge of the lot in a corner, right up
against the building where there is SUPPOSED to be a light, but the
light has burned out. Therefore, it is one of the least visible,
darkest spots in the whole parking lot.

She has brought this up at least 6 or 7 times with the folks she pays
for the monthly parking. At first the guy acted completely clueless.
She kept telling him that the light on their building was burned out,
and that she couldn't see well. He kept saying "you mean the street
light?", & stuff like that. She had to keep explaining, "No, if it was
a STREET light, I wouldn't be talking to you about it", etc., etc.

So they didn't do anything about it, and now it has been 3 months.
She went in the other day to pay, and since they kept forgetting to do
anything about it, she wrote up a short reminder note with the details,
and took it in with her when she paid. She again asked them to do
something, and they said they forgot, but would get around to it.

Ok, so then she says "Well, you keep forgetting, so here is something
to help you remember." The guy actually had the gall to hand the note
back to her, and once again said, "we'll get around to it".

This is starting to royally piss me off. I get to hear her complain
about it all the time, and as a guy I want to fix the situation. I want
her to be safe, and I want them to get off their butts and do the basic
maintenance that a customer has asked for numerous times.

In a situation like this, what do you think the best way to handle
this AND GET POSITIVE RESULTS would be?

Thanks!

MAS

May 31, 2010, 9:37:55 PM5/31/10

She's getting screwed. Tell them you'll "get around to paying the
monthly parking bill when they fix the light." Quick action guaranteed.

Marsha

Gary Heston

May 31, 2010, 11:16:17 PM5/31/10
In article <lZYMn.129897$0M5....@newsfe07.iad>,
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> My wife commutes to her job downtown. [ ... ]

> Well ... they put her in an edge of the lot in a corner, right up
>against the building where there is SUPPOSED to be a light, but the
>light has burned out. Therefore, it is one of the least visible,
>darkest spots in the whole parking lot.

[ ... ]

> This is starting to royally piss me off. I get to hear her complain
>about it all the time, and as a guy I want to fix the situation. I want
>her to be safe, and I want them to get off their butts and do the basic
>maintenance that a customer has asked for numerous times.

> In a situation like this, what do you think the best way to handle
>this AND GET POSITIVE RESULTS would be?

I can see an option or two;

If it's an incandescent bulb, stop by with a ladder and a CF bulb and
replace it yourself.

Find another parking space that's near a bus stop; park there and take
the bus the rest of the way.

File a lawsuit for breach of contract (you did sign a contract of some
sort, defining who's liable if the car is burglarized or damaged, etc.,
didn't you?) but have a new parking space lined up first.

File criminal charges of fraud (again, have a new space ready).

Buy her a big four or five cell MagLite.

If she's not been dealing with the welding shop owner, try going over
the counter helps' head to the owner.

Bear in mind that if the staff gets mad, her car is at risk of vandalism.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.

Jun 1, 2010, 12:13:33 AM6/1/10

"Gary Heston" <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> In article <lZYMn.129897$0M5....@newsfe07.iad>,
> Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
>> My wife commutes to her job downtown. [ ... ]
>
>> Well ... they put her in an edge of the lot in a corner, right up
>>against the building where there is SUPPOSED to be a light, but the
>>light has burned out. Therefore, it is one of the least visible,
>>darkest spots in the whole parking lot.
> [ ... ]
>
>> This is starting to royally piss me off. I get to hear her complain
>>about it all the time, and as a guy I want to fix the situation. I want
>>her to be safe, and I want them to get off their butts and do the basic
>>maintenance that a customer has asked for numerous times.
>
>> In a situation like this, what do you think the best way to handle
>>this AND GET POSITIVE RESULTS would be?

Talk to the manager of the lot and explain, in no uncertain terms, that
WHEN, not if, your wife is attacked or injured in their lot because of the
poor lighting about which they have been informed, IN WRITING, you will sue.
And you will win. What I can't figure out is why she's let this go on for
months? I'd have had a new lightbulb up there in a week or I'd have called
code enforcement or taken my parking business elsewhere.

Al

Jun 1, 2010, 8:02:29 AM6/1/10
On Jun 1, 12:13 am, "h" <tmcl...@searchmachine.com> wrote:
> "Gary Heston" <ghes...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> > In article <lZYMn.129897$0M5.1...@newsfe07.iad>,

> > Ohioguy  <n...@none.net> wrote:
> >>   My wife commutes to her job downtown.   [ ... ]
>
> >>   Well   ...  they put her in an edge of the lot in a corner, right up
> >>against the building where there is SUPPOSED to be a light, but the
> >>light has burned out.  Therefore, it is one of the least visible,
> >>darkest spots in the whole parking lot.
> >  [ ... ]
>
> >>   This is starting to royally piss me off.  I get to hear her complain
> >>about it all the time, and as a guy I want to fix the situation.  I want
> >>her to be safe, and I want them to get off their butts and do the basic
> >>maintenance that a customer has asked for numerous times.
>
> >>   In a situation like this, what do you think the best way to handle
> >>this AND GET POSITIVE RESULTS would be?
>
> Talk to the manager of the lot and explain, in no uncertain terms, that
> WHEN, not if, your wife is attacked or injured in their lot because of the
> poor lighting about which they have been informed, IN WRITING, you will sue.
> And you will win. What I can't figure out is why she's let this go on for
> months? I'd have had a new lightbulb up there in a week or I'd have called
> code enforcement or taken my parking business elsewhere.

You may be on to something there H. A parking lot in the city is
subject to zoning laws that may even include the proper lighting for
safety and security. OG should check in that direction.

Bill

Jun 1, 2010, 8:29:49 AM6/1/10
Offer to pay to have the light replaced or repaired if needed. If broken,
some commercial outdoor lights can cost several hundred dollars to
repair/replace (usually ballast). And it can cost several hundred dollars
for a new outdoor "commercial" fixture...

http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Light-Bulbs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZas2zZ66xgy/R-100011704/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Bob F

Jun 1, 2010, 11:22:42 AM6/1/10

Buy her a flashlight?

The business has made it pretty clear they don't consider it important.