Why Did The USA Rescue The Carnival Cruise Ship?

Mrs Irish Mike

Nov 11, 2010, 5:04:28 PM11/11/10
The ship is flagged in some place like Liberia. Carnival does that to
avoid paying taxes, minimum wage, overtime and supplying a safe and
humane working enviorment. Let Liberia tow them back. At the very
minimum, Carnival should pay back America for all it is out in this
rescue. Typical corprotism, having their cake and eating it too!

Raise the retirement age to 69 and stop giving tax deductions to
American home owners. Now that's the ticket!

Rod Speed

Nov 11, 2010, 9:04:11 PM11/11/10
Because thats how the international agreements on ship rescue work.

Mrs Irish Mike wrote:

> The ship is flagged in some place like Liberia. Carnival
> does that to avoid paying taxes, minimum wage, overtime
> and supplying a safe and humane working enviorment.

Its much more complicated than that.

> Let Liberia tow them back.

Not practical if they get a fire in the engine room in say the pacific.

> At the very minimum, Carnival should pay back America for all it is out
> in this rescue. Typical corprotism, having their cake and eating it too!

The international agreements on ship rescue dont work like that.

> Raise the retirement age to 69 and stop giving tax deductions
> to American home owners. Now that's the ticket!

Even sillier.

Bill

Nov 11, 2010, 10:36:36 PM11/11/10
I don't know, but I sure do think this was funny, as "snooty" people
tend to go on those cruises. Having worked around those people in the
past, I know that many of them will complain like stuck pigs if any
little thing is not exactly right...

...and reading the stories, one person complained of having to go
without hot coffee for three whole days! Oh the humanity!

Then another had to go without a shower for several days. Imagine
skipping a shower, let alone three! And on top of that having to eat
SPAM!

I'd sure like to see these people go camping in the woods for a week.
(And not in one of those fancy RV's - tent camping...)

Gordon

Nov 12, 2010, 12:10:20 AM11/12/10
Mrs Irish Mike <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote in news:274c9d36-1330-46ee-9738-
87c41d...@i32g2000pri.googlegroups.com:

I believe Carnival hired private tugs to bring the ship home.
The US Navy was used to help fly food out to the passengers.

> The ship is flagged in some place like Liberia. Carnival does that to
> avoid paying taxes, minimum wage, overtime and supplying a safe and
> humane working enviorment.

Not so. A safe and humane working enviroment is provided by
international standard. It's called SOLAS (Safty of Life At Sea).
IIRC: Ships opperating out of US ports must adhear to SOLAS.

> Let Liberia tow them back.

Oh yea! Send a tug from Liberia. And how long would that take?

> At the very
> minimum, Carnival should pay back America for all it is out in this
> rescue. Typical corprotism, having their cake and eating it too!

Actually, this is costing Carnival quite a bit.

Message has been deleted

New Leaf

Nov 12, 2010, 10:44:03 AM11/12/10

LOL! The "snooty" people abandoned ship years ago. They are filled
with normal people, many of whom are on modest incomes and have saved
for years. Think about it. You're 65, this is your 40th anniversary
and your kids saved up to send you on a vacation and you didn't get
what you've paid for.

Viv

Lou

Nov 14, 2010, 7:40:46 PM11/14/10

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

If your idea of a good vacation is to go traipsing through the woods,
cooking your meals over an open fire, and sleeping on the ground, with or
without a tent, don't go on a cruise. Cruise lines sell tickets on the
basis of providing abundant food, entertainment, comfort, and the chance to
see touristy sights on a day-trip basis. If you don't get what you paid
for, you have a right to get upset.

Michael Black

Nov 14, 2010, 9:48:56 PM11/14/10

And I'm not sure that those cruise-goers would react badly to camping.
Maybe they wouldn't go camping, but I imagine some would, and the "lack of
luxury" wouldn't be a problem because they'd be expecting the lack.

You're right, they were complaining about the loss of expected service.
The whole "danger" didn't seem too bad, a fire that was put out and didn't
seem to be a real danger, and no fear of sinking or a need to abandon
ship. Under those circumstances, grumbling about the lack of service does
not seem inappropriate.

If they'd had to go to lifeboats and then complained about the lack of
service, then they'd come across as snooty.

Oddly, the only time I've been on a ship was in late 1964 and then again
in 1965, when the whole family went to Europe for a year. Just a few
years later, few would consider taking ship, but then it was still a
viable transport. We even took the family car, so apparently that was a
frugal route. For about six months, we lived in a sublet apartment, and
then when summer came along, we went all over Europe, camping most of the
time. Even took in the New York World's Fair on the way and on the way
back.

Michael

Mrs Irish Mike

Nov 15, 2010, 11:19:53 AM11/15/10
On Nov 11, 6:04 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Because thats how the international agreements on ship rescue work.
>
> Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
>
> > At the very minimum, Carnival should pay back America for all it is out
> > in this rescue. Typical corprotism, having their cake and eating it too!
>
> The international agreements on ship rescue dont work like that.

The boat was disabled not in US waters, but in Mexican water.

Reminds me of a recent story of a man's house that burned to the
ground. He didn't pay a $75 annual fee to the fire department, so they
let it burn at the same time they protected a neighbor's house who did
pay the fee.

Two stories. One about an individual, the other about a corporation.
Both have not paid fees. One is homeless the other is made nearly
whole by the government.

Look here Rod Speed, I wonder if you know what is happening in the
US. Corporations have been granted the rights of an individual without
the duties of being a citizen. Corporations are paying little or no
taxes simply by opening a P.O.box in some little country and claiming
that it is their headquarters. Yet they anonymously 'fund' politicians
and the entire election process.

Rod Speed

Nov 15, 2010, 2:14:06 PM11/15/10
Mrs Irish Mike wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote

>> Because thats how the international agreements on ship rescue work.

>> Mrs Irish Mike wrote:

>>> At the very minimum, Carnival should pay back America for all it is out
>>> in this rescue. Typical corprotism, having their cake and eating it too!

>> The international agreements on ship rescue dont work like that.

> The boat was disabled not in US waters, but in Mexican water.

It wasnt in Mexican water, and the international agreements do not say that
only the country whose water its in gets to provide any assistence anyway.

> Reminds me of a recent story of a man's house that burned to the ground.

Completely and utterly irrelevant to international agreements on assistance to ships in distress.

> He didn't pay a $75 annual fee to the fire department, so they let it burn
> at the same time they protected a neighbor's house who did pay the fee.

Dont believe that. Bet its just another urban myth.

> Two stories. One about an individual, the other about a corporation.
> Both have not paid fees.

That is a lie with that cruise ship.

> One is homeless the other is made nearly whole by the government.

Another pig ignorant lie. The most the US military did was to provide some food.

The shipping company had to pay for the tugs to get it back to port etc etc etc.

> Look here Rod Speed, I wonder if you know what is happening in the
> US. Corporations have been granted the rights of an individual without
> the duties of being a citizen.

Thats another bare faced lie.

> Corporations are paying little or no taxes simply by opening a P.O.
> box in some little country and claiming that it is their headquarters.

Thats another bare faced lie. If it was that easy, they would all do that and they dont all do that.

> Yet they anonymously 'fund' politicians and the entire election process.

Thats another bare faced lie.

You dont have a fucking clue about anything at all.

Mrs Irish Mike

Nov 15, 2010, 3:42:38 PM11/15/10
On Nov 15, 11:14 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mrs Irish Mike wrote

> > Reminds me of a recent story of a man's house that burned to the ground.
> >
> > He didn't pay a $75 annual fee to the fire department, so they let it burn
> > at the same time they protected a neighbor's house who did pay the fee.
>
> Dont believe that. Bet its just another urban myth.
>

> You dont have a fucking clue about anything at all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life

"No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn
Tennessee house in ashes after homeowner 'forgot' to pay $75 fee..."

You're the one with no clue and you're rude.

Also, the the line of your's I quoted, the word is "it's" not "its".
Just thought you needed to know.

Rod Speed

Nov 15, 2010, 6:21:16 PM11/15/10
Mrs Irish Mike wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Mrs Irish Mike wrote

>>> Reminds me of a recent story of a man's house that burned to the ground.

>>> He didn't pay a $75 annual fee to the fire department, so they let
>>> it burn at the same time they protected a neighbor's house who did
>>> pay the fee.

>> Dont believe that. Bet its just another urban myth.

>> You dont have a fucking clue about anything at all.

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39516346/ns/us_news-life

> "No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn
> Tennessee house in ashes after homeowner 'forgot' to pay $75 fee..."

Just because some fool journo claims something, doesnt make it gospel, stupid.

> You're the one with no clue

Nope, you are, as always.

> and you're rude.

I call a spade a spade and a terminal fuckwit a terminal fuckwit.

You get to like that or lump it, fuckwit.

> Also, the the line of your's I quoted, the word is "it's" not "its".

Wrong, as always.

> Just thought you needed to know.

Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.

I CHOOSE to spell like that, fuckwit.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Nov 15, 2010, 6:47:44 PM11/15/10
In article <8kdtjf...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just because some fool journo claims something, doesnt make it gospel, stupid.

And just because you say so doesn't make it so, drongo

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla adipiscing suscipit, velit urna

Nov 16, 2010, 5:24:24 PM11/16/10

"Mrs Irish Mike" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> Dont believe that. Bet its just another urban myth.

>Also, the the line of your's I quoted, the word is "it's" not "its".

You meant "yours", not "your's", since there is no such word. You are,
however, correct about the "it's" versus "its". And "the" appears twice. RS
is a troll. Just killfile and move on.