Replace internal DVD-RW on Dell Inspiron 5000 rather than buy a new laptop? External or internal and compatibility?

mike

Aug 21, 2010, 11:07:14 AM8/21/10
Not sure where else to post this. Here seemed like a good place.

I've got a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop and it's served me well for about
5 years. Had to replace the hard drive once, but I got a higher speed
one and have been pleased with it.

Now the DVD-RW has died. Rather than purchase a new laptop, I'd like
to find an internal replacement for it that is compatible. Assuming
here that purchasing from Dell.com would be too expensive. Can I get a
compatible internal DVD-RW drive for my laptop from someone other than
Dell? How can I determine what will fit / work?

I realize I could purchase an external USB or firewire DVD-RW, but
that makes the laptop a lot less useful outside of my home. However,
what would be more expensive? An internal replacement DVD-RW for this
particular laptop or an external DVD-RW?

Thanks very much.

SMS

Aug 21, 2010, 11:25:34 AM8/21/10

"http://www.brainydeal.com/Slim-8x-CD-DVD-RW-Dual/M/B002IJ6CHG.htm"

Note the most of the internal drives are pretty standard but they attach
a proprietary connector to the standard connector, and may have a custom
colored plastic front piece. You can sometimes swap those from the old
drive. But the actual correct drive is not much more expensive.

mike

Aug 22, 2010, 7:27:15 AM8/22/10
On Aug 21, 11:25 am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> "http://www.brainydeal.com/Slim-8x-CD-DVD-RW-Dual/M/B002IJ6CHG.htm"
>
> Note the most of the internal drives are pretty standard but they attach
> a proprietary connector to the standard connector, and may have a custom
> colored plastic front piece. You can sometimes swap those from the old
> drive. But the actual correct drive is not much more expensive.

Thanks SMS. Just realized I have an Inspiron 6000, not a 5000. Wrote
to Dell and they gave me the following part numbers for my Inspiron
6000:

"M6788, P7464 , UC823. You may choose any one part number provided"

May just get an external one; then it can be shared with my wife's
NetBook. It's about the same price; possibly less than getting the
internal. Good to have options.