Highway Patrol officer helped slow a runaway Toyota Prius from 94 mph to a safe stop

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 9, 2010, 10:42:30 AM3/9/10
(What's the moral of the story here? That in America you don't get
respect in a little car, let alone in a bicycle. And so many cute
little cars in Europe. Sounds fair?)

Another of these little MOWING MACHINES runs out of control. My take
on the issue is that Toyota sends the engineers with the highest IQ to
work at Lexus, while those with very low IQ are assigned to Toyota. I
know because I once owned a little Toyota Tercel. UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED,
you know...

EL CAJON, Calif. – A California Highway Patrol officer helped slow a
runaway Toyota Prius from 94 mph to a safe stop on Monday after the
car's accelerator became stuck on a San Diego County freeway, the CHP
said.

Prius driver James Sikes called 911 about 1:30 p.m. after accelerating
to pass another vehicle on Interstate 8 near La Posta and finding that
he could not control his car, the CHP said.

"I pushed the gas pedal to pass a car and it did something kind of
funny... it jumped and it just stuck there," the 61-year-old driver
said at a news conference. "As it was going, I was trying the
brakes...it wasn't stopping, it wasn't doing anything and it just kept
speeding up," Sikes said, adding he could smell the brakes burning he
was pressing the pedal so hard.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

THE WISE TIBETAN MONKEY SAYS

"The monkey should be treated with the same respect as the lion"

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 9, 2010, 5:23:33 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 9:29 am, Michael <mrdarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 9, 8:57 am, IYM <"S U N risr"@optonline.net> wrote:
>

> > Conscience wrote:

> > > It's looking like an even lower IQ is required to purchase a Prius.
>
> > > It "jumps" to 94 mph before this idiot figures out how to stop it,
> > > instead wasting his time on the phone.
>
> > > Jumps, indeed. Incredible.
>
> > Since only the left leaning liberals, environmental tree-huggers and
> > Hollywood people buy them, that answers the "lower IQ" requirement....
>
> Ouch! :D
>
> Drove with a friend who had a turbo-diesel Jetta... he said he easily
> gets 50+ mpg on that. Wish Toyota made more turbodiesels...
>
> Michael- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they have them for Europe. But they send the junk here because
they assume people are dummy drivers. And they actually have a point!

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 9, 2010, 5:41:09 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 11:23 am, "Tom" <t...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net> wrote in message

> > "C. E. White" <cewhi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>
> >> - Why did the guy not press the stop/start button for 3 seconds?
>
> > 1) Panic. This points to the need to test drivers in situations which
> > almost guarantee failure, especially after a certain age. Testing
> > someone's signaling and parallel parking ability obviously proves nothing
> > about how they'll handle terror.
>
> > 2) At least 90% of drivers are not qualified to operate a spoon, much less
> > a motor vehicle. Our testing procedures do nothing to filter out these
> > people.
>
> Sounds like too many toyota engineers in this group, I thought only one
> person was in the car but a lot of people seem to know what he did or was
> supposed to do.
> its all the drivers fault, standard toyota press release to cover all
> defects.

Blame Toyota designers. They cater to these idiots who want "a little
automatic car," with no idea how to react in an emergency situation
or how to use the signal lights. Drivers are just issued a "license to
kill" and off they go with their little Toyota. But it could be worse
if they drove an SUV...

People who like to drive buy a VW, Mini or something... not available
in America.

TheTibetanMonkey

Mar 9, 2010, 6:16:05 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 2:13 pm, Conscience <nobama@göv.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-09 14:00:03 -0800, "Jeff Strickland" <crwlrj...@yahoo.com> said:
>

> > "Conscience" <nobama@göv.com> wrote in message

> >> My comment was sarcastic. A Prius "jumping" to 94. Funny.

> >> I'm sure of all you wrote. But the guy's an idiot. Too bad reaction-time
> >> and vehicle familiarity tests are required to be renewed on a regular
> >> basis when a license expires.
>
> > It's absurd that anybody thinks a driver can get so screwed around sideways
> > for so long that a call to 911 AND A RESPONSE from the CHP can take place
> > before the driver gets straightened out AND the cop reports that the brake
> > lights were coming on and that he could SMELL the brakes burning, and you
> > still think the driver is such an idiot that he can't find the right pedal.
> > It's not like it's a multiple choice question with a different answer
> > everytime. The guy had at least five minutes to react and become familiar
> > with the controls of his car.
>
> > Sure, some are clearly idiots, but they can't all be idiots and the CHP took
> > the car so it could be inspected. I don't know the results of the
> > inspection, but I'm sure we'll all know very soon.
>
> I see absurdity on the road every day. It's not much of a stretch to
> apply the average driver's "ability" to not knowing how to put a
> transmission in neutral.- Hide quoted text -

My girlfriend says she didn't know either what to do with her stupid
Lexus if it happened to her.

She gave me these options:

a) put the foot brake

b) switch the ignition off

But smart people don't buy a Toyota in the first place. She won't next
time, thanks to my wisdom.

VFW

Mar 9, 2010, 7:02:42 PM3/9/10
In article
<c4f416a2-882d-4142...@b30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
TheTibetanMonkey <comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

my question is;
did they get a speeding ticket?
If not , I'm going to use this plea if I ever get stopped for speeding.
--
Money; What a Concept !

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 11, 2010, 12:36:51 PM3/11/10
On Mar 9, 5:18 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net>
wrote:

> Because our system of testing drivers does not weed out the incompetent
> ones, who comprise almost 90% of drivers on the road.

The more stupid drivers on the road, the more Toyotas, and the more
Toyotas, the more chances of accidents like this.

VFW

Mar 12, 2010, 1:29:34 PM3/12/10
In article
<8b1d071a-c49f-4d88...@r1g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle
<nolionn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Question #2 Since this car was pre-recall years, was this guy looking
for this 15 minutes or a juicy law suit?
Somethings rotten somewhere?

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Mar 12, 2010, 3:45:23 PM3/12/10
On Mar 12, 10:29 am, VFW <george...@toast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <8b1d071a-c49f-4d88-98a9-bd21c51fb...@r1g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
>  TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

>  <nolionnoprob...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Mar 9, 5:18 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstr...@frontiernet.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Because our system of testing drivers does not weed out the incompetent
> > > ones, who comprise almost 90% of drivers on the road.
>
> > The more stupid drivers on the road, the more Toyotas, and the more
> > Toyotas, the more chances of accidents like this.
>
> Question #2 Since this car was pre-recall years, was this guy looking
> for this 15 minutes or a juicy law suit?
> Somethings rotten somewhere?
> --
> Money; What a Concept !

The fewer the Toyotas, the fewer stupid drivers, so let him get rich!

This is the equivalent of riding an automatic bicycle! Actually they
are not that bad but they are heavy. Anyway they don't kill people.