Medical dilemma - any suggestions?

spendwize.com

Jan 10, 2009, 1:26:00 PM1/10/09

xxxxo
-------------------------------------
There is a 29 year old adult single female living in Texas. Due to several
chronic and worsening medical conditions ( including IBS and fibromyalgia)
this gal has been unable to attain and hold a full-time job. She was fired
from the last one she held for 3 months for taking too many medical
emergency days (She offered to make her work up but was told the company
did not have any flex-time policy). Texas, in its conservative wisdom, has
denied her unemployment benefits. She has applied for social security
disability, but that process takes well over a year to resolve.
She is living currently with a "gentleman" acquaintance rent free, but her
savings are very limited and he- this gentleman- has been known to decide
on a moments notice that he wants her gone. She has looked into support
from social services to get her own place to live, but they have a
wait-list!
As her mother, I have used the limit of my financial means to subsidize
her living but I cannot do any more at this point, especially since it is
likely I will have to assume paying for her medical insurance any day.
Worst case scenario is that she moves back home , but I am in the
Northeast where the winters are miserable and the cold further aggravates
her conditions. How does she continue to survive - at least until the
spring - where she is now?

Delivered via http://www.spendwize.com http://www.spendwize.com/groups/
Consumer News and Discussions Platform of the Net
misc.consumers.frugal-living - 33309 messages and counting!

John A. Weeks III

Jan 10, 2009, 4:41:54 PM1/10/09
In article <4968e838$0$31588$6c36...@news.usenetserver.com>,
info_at_1-sc...@foo.com (spendwize.com) wrote:

> There is a 29 year old adult single female living in Texas. Due to several
> chronic and worsening medical conditions ( including IBS and fibromyalgia)
> this gal has been unable to attain and hold a full-time job.

How about:

1) dump the looser attitude.

2) get a job that has flex hours or is based on piece work. Maybe
this means stringing together a few part-time jobs.

3) dump the bozo.

4) move to where it is cheaper to live.

5) find someone of higher quality to date & get married to.

-john-

John A. Weeks III           612-720-2854            jo...@johnweeks.com
Newave Communications                         http://www.johnweeks.com

Dave

Jan 10, 2009, 11:04:35 PM1/10/09
On 10 Jan 2009 18:26:00 GMT
info_at_1-sc...@foo.com (spendwize.com) wrote:

> xxxxo
> -------------------------------------
> There is a 29 year old adult single female living in Texas. Due to several
> chronic and worsening medical conditions ( including IBS and fibromyalgia)
> this gal has been unable to attain and hold a full-time job. She was fired
> from the last one she held for 3 months for taking too many medical
> emergency days (She offered to make her work up but was told the company
> did not have any flex-time policy). Texas, in its conservative wisdom, has
> denied her unemployment benefits. She has applied for social security
> disability, but that process takes well over a year to resolve.
> She is living currently with a "gentleman" acquaintance rent free, but her
> savings are very limited and he- this gentleman- has been known to decide
> on a moments notice that he wants her gone. She has looked into support
> from social services to get her own place to live, but they have a
> wait-list!
> As her mother, I have used the limit of my financial means to subsidize
> her living but I cannot do any more at this point, especially since it is
> likely I will have to assume paying for her medical insurance any day.
> Worst case scenario is that she moves back home , but I am in the
> Northeast where the winters are miserable and the cold further aggravates
> her conditions. How does she continue to survive - at least until the
> spring - where she is now?

First, buy her a plane ticket to get her home. I'd suggest a bus or train ticket (cheaper), but with multiple medical conditions, the travel time needs to be as short as possible. Since she can't work, the weather where you (and I) live is not a serious consideration. She can stay home 24/7 until the weather improves. If you can't afford to heat the whole house 24/7, you can get your daughter a space heater for whatever room she wants to settle down in.

As for a long-term plan, I'd suggest you resign yourself to your daughter living at home at least until the social security disability kicks in.

AFTER she's set up at home, she should research social security disability. I believe I read somewhere (could be wrong) that it is retroactive to the time she applied for it. In other words, when it is approved, she might be due a large lump-sum payment to cover the last year or so that she was waiting. So she might find a lawyer or some other firm to front her money IF they believe that she will eventually get it. If it's true that SS disability is retroactive. Double-check that.

As for medical costs, there are some doctors (a few) who refuse to participate in the insurance ripoff scam, and run their offices on a cash ONLY basis. If you can find one, you will save a ton of money, seeing as you are going to be paying for your daughter's medical costs one way or the other. The way it works is, if the doctor would normally charge say, $250 for a visit (billed partly to insurance), that doctor will instead charge say, $50, CASH ONLY, due at the time of the appointment. So looking at it from the patient's point of view, this is a huge savings. Instead of paying several hundred (or thousand) dollars a MONTH for medical insurance, and then having to pay a copayment and a percentage of the bill on top of that, your cost is just the $50. And with Walmart, Target, and many drug store and supermarket chains offering common prescriptions for about $5/month, or about $10/3 months now, you MIGHT be able to get by OK covering your daughter's medical costs out of pocket for a while. If some of her prescriptions are oddball, work with your doctor and your pharmacist to see if there are cheaper meds that might work as well.

There's no easy solution, but the only reasonable first step is to get your daughter home ASAP. Good luck, -Dave

JonquilJan

Jan 11, 2009, 7:01:14 PM1/11/09
Social Security Disability is retroactive to date of original application.
With me it took 6 months (but I was supposed to be dead by then). With a
cousin it was slightly over 7 years - and they moved and bought their own
home with the payment. And it could be an uphill fight - get/keep detailed
medical records - and details as to why she was discharged from prior
positions.

When she gets disability - she will also get Medicare. Will help with the
medical expenses/problems.

And look into employment that can be done from home. Retraining/education
available from disability/rehab - and possibly a state agency (in NY -
VESID).

Speaking from experience. I have been disabled since 1971 - after being
retrained/educated for an accounting position - which couldn't be sustained
due to consecutive medical problems - I was then retrained for computer work
(which wasn't available until the last few years) I have now been employed
from home - computer work - in an industry that wasn't even around until
the past few years.

I have the opposite problem - can't take the hotter weather.

JonquiJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Evelyn

Jan 11, 2009, 10:19:32 PM1/11/09

"Dave" <now...@nohow2.not> wrote in message

I agree that is very good advice. She also might consider that if she is
an emancipated (over 18) adult, she might be eligible for medicaid. People
who have no money who suddenly develop health problems often apply for, and
get it. If she is still the person's underage dependent, then that may not
be an option.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

tmc...@searchmachine.com

Jan 13, 2009, 5:39:07 AM1/13/09
On Jan 10, 1:26 pm, info_at_1-script_dot_...@foo.com (spendwize.com)
wrote:

> xxxxo
> -------------------------------------
> There is a 29 year old adult single female living in Texas. Due to several
> chronic and worsening medical conditions ( including IBS and fibromyalgia)
> this gal has been unable to attain and hold a full-time job. She was fired
> from the last one she held for 3 months for taking too many medical
> emergency days (She offered to make her work up but was told the company
> did not have any flex-time policy). Texas, in its conservative wisdom, has
> denied her unemployment benefits. She has applied for social security
> disability, but that process takes well over a year to resolve.
> She is living currently with a "gentleman" acquaintance rent free, but her
> savings are very limited and he- this gentleman- has been known to decide
> on a moments notice that he wants her gone. She has looked into support
> from social services to get her own place to live, but they have a
> wait-list!
> As her mother, I have used the limit of my financial means to subsidize
> her living but I cannot do any more at this point, especially since it is
> likely I will have to assume paying for her medical insurance any day.
> Worst case scenario is that she moves back home , but I am in the
> Northeast where the winters are miserable and the cold further aggravates
> her conditions. How does she continue to survive - at least until the
> spring - where she is now?

Your daughter most likely has Coeliac disease. It is an auto-immune
disorder which can easily be controlled by avoiding wheat. She is
probably allergic/sensitive to gluten and should cut it out of her
diet. Tell her to stop eating wheat and see if her health improves.
She should see improvement almost immediately.

www.Queensbridge.us

Jan 18, 2009, 3:44:20 PM1/18/09
wrote:
> Worst case scenario is that she moves back home , but I am in the
> Northeast where the winters are miserable and the cold further aggravates
> her conditions. How does she continue to survive - at least until the
> spring - where she is now?

If in NYS research Medicaid.

If in NYC see NYC Health and Hospital Corporation.
They have fee scaled clinics at some VERY GOOD hospitals.
Avoid Kings County Hospital.
They will help you fill out Medicaid applications.

Once you agree to pay her bills, .....well ..... they may say she
doesn't need Medicaid.

--
Get cell phone service for a little as $5.00 a month. Go to
www.virginmobileusa.com Check out Virgin Mobile phones and plans. Buy