Refurbished computers?

KenK

May 16, 2015, 1:34:59 PM5/16/15
Anyone have any experience with refurbished computers? A very quick Google
shows prices seem quite low. Evidently they include operating systems?

Reliable dealers?

TIA

RayP

May 16, 2015, 3:11:47 PM5/16/15
In news:XnsA49C6BA57A...@130.133.4.11,
KenK <inv...@invalid.com> typed:
> Anyone have any experience with refurbished computers? A very quick
> Google shows prices seem quite low. Evidently they include operating
> systems?
>
> Reliable dealers?

A friend of mine recently bought a refurbished laptop, and I later bought
two refurbished desktop computers, from a company called PC Rebuilders and
Recyclers ( http://pcrr.com ).

He got his through a special program that his cable company has for low
income families with kids in school who need Internet access and a low-cost
computer.

The two refurbished desktop computers that I bought through PCRR were on
behalf of a tax exempt nonprofit program that I am associated with that
needed them.

PCRR also sells directly to the public without the special nonprofit
discounts, and their regular to-the-public prices are also good. All three
computers (my friend's and the two for the nonprofit) work well and are
exactly as they were advertised to be.

Here's a direct link to their pricing:
http://store.pcrr.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=39

Bert

May 16, 2015, 4:59:15 PM5/16/15
<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with refurbished computers? A very quick
> Google shows prices seem quite low. Evidently they include operating
> systems?
>
> Reliable dealers?

Bought a refurbed Dell Optiplex 3010, which came with Windows 7 Pro SP1
64-bit pre-installed, with a recovery CD.

Got it from NewEgg. They were acting as an agent for "Blair Technology
Group" but it included a warrany from NewEgg, and additional coverage
from the "Google Trusted Stores program." Cost $240, with free shipping.

It's been sitting in the basement running about 16 hours a day for about
a year and a half, controlling my ham radio gear without incident.

--
be...@iphouse.com St. Paul, MN

Bert

May 16, 2015, 5:05:15 PM5/16/15
In news:XnsA49CA2A074D...@127.0.0.1 Bert <be...@iphouse.com>
wrote:

> Bought a refurbed Dell Optiplex 3010

No, it was a refurbed Dell Optiplex 960. The 3010 is the machine I'm using
right now :-)

M.L.

May 16, 2015, 5:58:56 PM5/16/15

>> Anyone have any experience with refurbished computers? A very quick
>> Google shows prices seem quite low. Evidently they include operating
>> systems?
>>
>> Reliable dealers?
>
>A friend of mine recently bought a refurbished laptop, and I later bought
>two refurbished desktop computers, from a company called PC Rebuilders and
>Recyclers ( http://pcrr.com ).

>PCRR also sells directly to the public without the special nonprofit
>discounts, and their regular to-the-public prices are also good. All three
>computers (my friend's and the two for the nonprofit) work well and are
>exactly as they were advertised to be.
>
>Here's a direct link to their pricing:
>http://store.pcrr.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=39

Those prices seems awfully high for such underpowered laptops. I got a
far better equipped new laptop for a much lower price at Walmart.

BigDog811

May 17, 2015, 11:30:35 AM5/17/15
Refurbs are fine, so long as the refurbishment is done by the original manufacturer or at one of their authorized repair facilities, and you buy from an authorized dealer. I'm typing this on a refurbished HP ProBook laptop I bought over two years ago. It's perfectly fine and I have no reason to believe it won't stay in service 'til I need or want something different. I saved nearly $200 on the purchase and it came with nearly the same warranty, and exactly the same return privileges as the brand new one sitting on the shelf next to it. Both of which have long ago expired.

There are people who actually prefer refurbs to new because they think they're more reliable. If the refurb is done properly the whole system has been thoroughly tested and whatever problem that caused the original owner to return it has been corrected. Many times a refurb doesn't even need repaired. It was simply been returned because the original owner didn't like it for some reason. Can't be sold as new, but if it's a reliable dealer, has still been thoroughly tested before going on the sales floor.

Don't confuse refurbished with rebuilt. Rebuilts are usually a conglomeration parts that may or may not be compatible, or even new, when it was put together. It may be perfectly fine, but you're taking your chances unless the seller/rebuilder is competent and will stand behind it. "As is" ain't good when it comes to computers.

RJH

May 18, 2015, 2:32:34 AM5/18/15
Some on the UK Mac newsgroup speak fondly of refurbished Macs via the
Apple store for much the reasons you state.

I get the education discount which doesn't apply to refurbished Macs,
but if I didn't get that, it's certainly something I'd look at.

--
Cheers, Rob