Opposing bicycling kills!

TheTibetanMonkey

Jan 18, 2010, 3:54:55 PM1/18/10
What is the moral of the following story? I guess opposing bicycling
kills!

(This is stuff happening in a Third World country... still a model for
some countries in the so called "developed world.")

CICLOVIA OR BIKE ROUTE

Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main
streets of Bogotá, Cali, Medellín, and other municipalities, are
blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The
largest is Bogotá with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on
over 120km of carfree streets.

Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main
streets of Bogotá, Cali, Medellín, and other municipalities, are
blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The
largest is Bogotá with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on
over 120km of carfree streets.

One of the main reasons cited by government is to promote physical
activity and health. There are other obvious social and cultural
benefits from using the public space as an open meeting area. There
are also environmental benefits in terms of cleaner air and increased
safety.

Ciclovías happen in many cities but the inspiration is credited to
Bogotá. The events have taken place since 1976 when they started
through the efforts of organizer Jaime Ortiz and others. Some credit
Bogotá Mayor Hernando Duran Dusan with starting Ciclovías in the early
1980s. Mayor Enrique Peñalosa deserves some credit for turning Bogotá
into a safe cycling city by taking on the dominance of automobiles in
the late 1990s.

In 2007, a Colombian congressman, Rep. José Fernando Castro Caycedo,
proposed a law restricting the hours of Ciclovias all over the country
to between 5 a.m. and 12 noon, charging that it caused traffic jams.
Ciclovia users protested the change, and received support from ex-
mayor Peñalosa and current mayor Samuel Moreno, as well as several
members of the city council and other congressmembers. As of June,
2008 the proposal appeared headed for defeat.

While he was speaking during the congressional public hearing on the
issue, Rep. Castro, a heavy smoker, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage,
collapsed, and died later that day. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclovia

"Monkeys can be happy with peanuts and bicycles, almost a perfect
combination to beat obesity and idiocy"

dgk

Jan 19, 2010, 8:36:54 AM1/19/10
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:54:55 -0800 (PST), TheTibetanMonkey
<comandan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the moral of the following story? I guess opposing bicycling
>kills!
>
>(This is stuff happening in a Third World country... still a model for
>some countries in the so called "developed world.")
>
>CICLOVIA OR BIKE ROUTE
>
>Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main

>streets of Bogot�, Cali, Medell�n, and other municipalities, are

>blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
>runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
>time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
>teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The

>largest is Bogot� with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on

>over 120km of carfree streets.
>
>Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main

>streets of Bogot�, Cali, Medell�n, and other municipalities, are

>blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
>runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
>time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
>teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The

>largest is Bogot� with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on

>over 120km of carfree streets.
>
>One of the main reasons cited by government is to promote physical
>activity and health. There are other obvious social and cultural
>benefits from using the public space as an open meeting area. There
>are also environmental benefits in terms of cleaner air and increased
>safety.
>

>Ciclov�as happen in many cities but the inspiration is credited to
>Bogot�. The events have taken place since 1976 when they started

>through the efforts of organizer Jaime Ortiz and others. Some credit

>Bogot� Mayor Hernando Duran Dusan with starting Ciclov�as in the early
>1980s. Mayor Enrique Pe�alosa deserves some credit for turning Bogot�

>into a safe cycling city by taking on the dominance of automobiles in
>the late 1990s.
>

>In 2007, a Colombian congressman, Rep. Jos� Fernando Castro Caycedo,

>proposed a law restricting the hours of Ciclovias all over the country
>to between 5 a.m. and 12 noon, charging that it caused traffic jams.
>Ciclovia users protested the change, and received support from ex-

>mayor Pe�alosa and current mayor Samuel Moreno, as well as several

>members of the city council and other congressmembers. As of June,
>2008 the proposal appeared headed for defeat.
>
>While he was speaking during the congressional public hearing on the
>issue, Rep. Castro, a heavy smoker, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage,
>collapsed, and died later that day. [1]
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclovia

I don't see what other conclusion anyone could draw. It appears to be
a direct act of god.

TheTibetanMonkey showing-the-path-of-enlightenment-in-the-jungle

Jan 19, 2010, 10:10:40 AM1/19/10
On Jan 19, 5:36 am, dgk <d...@somewhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:54:55 -0800 (PST), TheTibetanMonkey
>

> <comandante.ban...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >What is the moral of the following story? I guess opposing bicycling
> >kills!
>
> >(This is stuff happening in a Third World country... still a model for
> >some countries in the so called "developed world.")
>
> >CICLOVIA OR BIKE ROUTE
>
> >Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main
> >streets of Bogotá, Cali, Medellín, and other municipalities, are

> >blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
> >runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
> >time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
> >teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The
> >largest is Bogotá with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on

> >over 120km of carfree streets.
>
> >Colombia has the biggest events. Every Sunday and holiday the main
> >streets of Bogotá, Cali, Medellín, and other municipalities, are

> >blocked off for the event to become Carfree. From 7 am to 2 pm,
> >runners, skaters and bicyclists take over the streets. At the same
> >time, stages are set up in city parks. Aerobics instructors, yoga
> >teachers and musicians lead people through various performances. The
> >largest is Bogotá with 2 million people attending (30% of citizens) on

> >over 120km of carfree streets.
>
> >One of the main reasons cited by government is to promote physical
> >activity and health. There are other obvious social and cultural
> >benefits from using the public space as an open meeting area. There
> >are also environmental benefits in terms of cleaner air and increased
> >safety.
>
> >Ciclovías happen in many cities but the inspiration is credited to
> >Bogotá. The events have taken place since 1976 when they started

> >through the efforts of organizer Jaime Ortiz and others. Some credit
> >Bogotá Mayor Hernando Duran Dusan with starting Ciclovías in the early
> >1980s. Mayor Enrique Peñalosa deserves some credit for turning Bogotá

> >into a safe cycling city by taking on the dominance of automobiles in
> >the late 1990s.
>
> >In 2007, a Colombian congressman, Rep. José Fernando Castro Caycedo,

> >proposed a law restricting the hours of Ciclovias all over the country
> >to between 5 a.m. and 12 noon, charging that it caused traffic jams.
> >Ciclovia users protested the change, and received support from ex-
> >mayor Peñalosa and current mayor Samuel Moreno, as well as several

> >members of the city council and other congressmembers. As of June,
> >2008 the proposal appeared headed for defeat.
>
> >While he was speaking during the congressional public hearing on the
> >issue, Rep. Castro, a heavy smoker, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage,
> >collapsed, and died later that day. [1]
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciclovia
>
> I don't see what other conclusion anyone could draw. It appears to be
> a direct act of god.

For once God was on the side of the just.