help me pick my a(ddre)ss!

1 view

Ohioguy

Oct 29, 2010, 9:02:55 AM10/29/10
I'm registering with a new Internet provider, and now I'm faced with
picking a new email address. I thought maybe I'd pick something to do
with my profession (writing), but my first few choices there are taken.
Then I thought maybe I'd pick something a little naughty or funny. I
was tempted to use phuqoff.already@..., which was available! (with the
real spelling) However, I had second thoughts, because many of my
friends are conservative, and might be offended if I used that to send
out my annual Christmas letter. Plus, I don't want any increased
temptation to send an angry email when I'm mad.

I'll probably continue using my other email addresses for most of my
emails, but I can't seem to find a website with creative, clever, (+
funny & short) email address ideas. I'm kind of at a loss, and the only
thing I can think of right now is something like "pumpkin263", because I
once grew a 263 pound pumpkin. Return2sender is available, but maybe
folks would mix that up in their heads with returntosender, and send
emails to the wrong place. "AllYourEmailsRBelongToUs" is simply too long.

Can anyone point me to a website that features email address ideas
that would fit the bill? Maybe catchwords or catch phrases (like 'fit
the bill') would work? Basically, I'd like something that folks will be
able to remember easily, without having to look in their address book.
Everything I find online seems to be actual people's bizarre email
addresses - not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Rod Speed

Oct 29, 2010, 2:34:49 PM10/29/10
Ohioguy wrote:

> I'm registering with a new Internet provider, and now I'm faced with picking a new email address.

I prefer to separate my email provider from my ISP so that
I can change ISP when I find one that provides better value
and change ISPs as effortlessly as changing my shirt.

I like google, mainly because it handles spam much better than
most of the rest like yahoo and has no limit on how much can
be stored, in fact they encourage you to keep stuff forever.

I dont actually bother to keep stuff with them, I keep
email forever on my own system, properly backed up,
but that can be handy for those who dont.

> I thought maybe I'd pick something to do with my profession (writing), but my first few choices there are taken. Then
> I thought maybe I'd pick something a little naughty or funny. I was tempted to use phuqoff.already@..., which was
> available! (with the real spelling)

Trouble with those is that you may well find that say the little
kid's grandparents etc arent too keen on using emails like that.

> However, I had second thoughts, because many of my friends are conservative, and might be offended if I used that to
> send
> out my annual Christmas letter. Plus, I don't want any increased temptation to send an angry email when I'm mad.

And you wont get any response from commercial operations if you
try to complain about the service you got with an email like that.

> I'll probably continue using my other email addresses for most of my emails, but I can't seem to find a website with

> creative, clever, (+funny & short) email address ideas.

I just use my real name, makes it a lot easier for others to
remember who a particular email actually belongs to etc.

> I'm kind of at a loss, and the only thing I can think of right now is something like "pumpkin263", because I once grew
> a 263 pound pumpkin. Return2sender is available, but maybe folks would mix that up in their heads with
> returntosender, and send emails to the wrong place. "AllYourEmailsRBelongToUs" is simply too long.

Yeah, you'd have bugger all chance of people being able to use
it correctly when you tell them what your email is over the phone,
or even when you write it on a paper form if your writing is as
bad as mine. I print things like emails when writing them by hand
and quite a few email systems are stupid enough to be case sensitive.

> Can anyone point me to a website that features email address ideas that would fit the bill?

Just use your real name.

> Maybe catchwords or catch phrases (like 'fit the bill') would work?

Nope, hardly anyone can keep track of who is using what.

> Basically, I'd like something that folks will be able to remember easily, without having to look in their address
> book.

Thats one hell of an ask and they would have to do that for the ISP
part of the name anyway. I have enough trouble with those myself
with my own personal collection of email addresses, particularly
with the larger operations like google that obviously have a much
higher chance of a particular email address already being used.

One approach is to get your own domain and so get much more
freedom on the email addresses you can use, but even thats not
that effortless in practice because if you start using email addresses
like r...@speed.com even if that was available, that looks wrong to
many naive computer users and so they are unlikely to use it correctly.

I fixed that problem by choosing a meaningless but easy
to remember domain name like lamcap.com or something.

The big advantage with that approach is that if a particular email address
ends up in the hands of the spamming fools, you can just flush it forever
and use a different one with the domain handling that effortlessly.

> Everything I find online seems to be actual people's bizarre email addresses - not really what I'm looking for.

I have always maintained that you shouldnt use your ISP's email
service for the bulk of your email, so you can effortlessly change
ISPs when one goes bust or you find better value elsewhere etc.

Lot to be said for google, but it does restrict the emails that
arent already taken unless you have a particularly unusual one.

I had one hell of a job finding an email on hotmail for a Kurd
with a rather unusual name who wanted to use his real name.
We had to include some numbers in the name and that means
that no one can ever remember that email. I cant even remember
it myself and I set it up for him. He had his heart set on hotmail
for some reason I have now forgotten. I dont care for hotmail
myself, google is a lot more reliable and handles spam much better.

Message has been deleted

Michael Black

Oct 29, 2010, 8:25:24 PM10/29/10
On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Derald wrote:

> Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm registering with a new Internet provider, and now I'm faced with
>> picking a new email address. I thought maybe I'd pick something to do
>> with my profession (writing), but my first few choices there are taken.

> What's wrong with your actual name or some permutation thereof?
> Once you get the account established, you'll probably find that you
> have some number of additional email "boxes" at your disposal which
> may be used for all of the "cutesy" addies you could possibly desire
> and which may be deleted at will. Each of those boxes may be forwarded
> so there's no necessity to check them individually.

The trend seems to be away from email at your ISP. When I moved to my
current ISP in 2006, they asked me if I needed an email address. I
initially misinterpreted the question, I couldn't imagine why there'd
not be an email box associated with an account. But those old days
seem gone, too many do want to be able to shuffle from ISP to ISP,
unlike the old days when there was a sense of belonging to an ISP. So
their email is gmail or hotmail.

And it often looks silly. They don't want their name on the address, so
they end up with those silly names precisely because there's no "easy"
name to think of that hasn't been taken. An ISP limits how many names
would be used up since it's a small segment of the population. Go to
something worldwide like gmail, and chances are all the other "Michael
Blacks" (and there are a whole lot of them, I've bumped into at least half
a dozen over fiften years merely by chance) have gotten there first,
claiming the clear names, forcing people to come up with something
ridiculous like "catlips47" which really does not look professional.

And yet, they do keep using them for "professional" exchanges, instead of
getting another account with a more proper name.

If it's a business, you might as well stick to your name, they will know
it already, and it just makes things so much simpler, and professional
looking.

>Personally, I eschew "free" third-party email services because,
> if you don't pay them, they are under no obligation to safeguard your
> email or your address, regardless of hyperbole. The content on their
> servers is their property. Every TOS on the planet has a cop-out
> clause. Also, if one reads the fine print, one discovers that Google
> (for example) monitors email content in order to more finely tune
> adverts and for whatever other purpose may suit its fancy.

But, they are really useful for things you don't care about. I have three
gmail accounts, the first one I got back when you had to get an invite
from an existing user, and it was mostly curiosity. I'd never had one of
those free email accounts before that. I use it for signing up to
contests and email lists from businesses, things I don't care about.

I don't care about the email that goes to gmail, I wouldn't lose anything
if the account suddenly disappeared or crashed. Like I told someone back
in May, she got my real email account, the one that reflects my name.

Michael

Oct 30, 2010, 12:33:06 AM10/30/10

"Michael Black" <et...@ncf.ca> wrote in message

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Derald wrote:

Oh good doG, just use your dotcom. If you don't have one, GET ONE. It's
$9/month, cheaper than many non-commercial ISPs. This "dilemma" sounds very
"flyoverstate mentality". Are you from Ohio? GET OVER IT!

Rod Speed

Oct 30, 2010, 5:29:12 AM10/30/10

Thats trivially fixable by changing your name to something like Englebert Weaselstrangler.

Dont try that one tho, I've got a lock on it myself.

> forcing people to come up with something ridiculous like "catlips47" which really does not look professional.

Who wants to look like a hooker ?

> And yet, they do keep using them for "professional" exchanges,
> instead of getting another account with a more proper name.

> If it's a business, you might as well stick to your name, they will
> know it already, and it just makes things so much simpler, and
> professional looking.

> >Personally, I eschew "free" third-party email services because,
>> if you don't pay them, they are under no obligation to safeguard your
>> email or your address, regardless of hyperbole. The content on their
>> servers is their property. Every TOS on the planet has a cop-out
>> clause. Also, if one reads the fine print, one discovers that Google
>> (for example) monitors email content in order to more finely tune
>> adverts and for whatever other purpose may suit its fancy.

> But, they are really useful for things you don't care about. I have
> three gmail accounts, the first one I got back when you had to get an
> invite from an existing user, and it was mostly curiosity. I'd never
> had one of those free email accounts before that. I use it for
> signing up to contests and email lists from businesses, things I
> don't care about.

And I use mine for usenet, because their spam filtering is quite effective.

Dan Birchall

Oct 30, 2010, 6:31:51 AM10/30/10
rod.sp...@gmail.com (Rod Speed) wrote:
> Thats trivially fixable by changing your name to something like
> Englebert Weaselstrangler.
>
> Dont try that one tho, I've got a lock on it myself.

You just sent me scurrying off to Wikipedia to check whether you were
in fact a former member of TISM, along with such luminaries as
Genre B. Goode, Jock Cheese, and Eugene de la Hot-Croix Bun.

--
Some people wear black t-shirts to make some kind of fashion statement.
I'm the type who wears black t-shirts because they don't show the blood.

Gordon

Oct 30, 2010, 8:17:36 PM10/30/10
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:iCzyo.3107$3f....@newsfe12.iad:

> I'm registering with a new Internet provider, and now I'm faced with
> picking a new email address. I thought maybe I'd pick something to do
> with my profession (writing), but my first few choices there are taken.

Use some variation of your name to make it easier for
people who receive you e-mails to tell where they come from.

Better yet, take this oppertunity to register your own domain
name. You can then set up as many e-mail names as you want
(actually most registrars limit you to 100). Then set up
your e-mail to forward to your ISPs e-mail box.

Or, you can go to Yahoo, Hotmail, G-mail, AOL, Mail.com, etc
and set up a portable e-mail address that will not change
as you change ISPs. I did that about 11 years and 4 ISPs
ago. Switching ISPs since then has been less painless.

Gary Heston

Oct 31, 2010, 12:31:09 AM10/31/10
In article <iCzyo.3107$3f....@newsfe12.iad>, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> I'm registering with a new Internet provider, and now I'm faced with
>picking a new email address. I thought maybe I'd pick something to do
>with my profession (writing), but my first few choices there are taken.
[ ... ]

Is OhioS...@newisp.com taken?

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Assange: Australian for terrorist.

Chief Thracian

Nov 4, 2010, 6:40:02 PM11/4/10
On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 05:34:49 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I like google, mainly because it handles spam much better than
>most of the rest like yahoo and has no limit on how much can
>be stored, in fact they encourage you to keep stuff forever.

That's because Google wants as much data on its users as
possible...which they can sell over and over again, f*ck your privacy.
Also, they've become an arm of the government, thus keep *all* your
mail in their servers is quite a boon for big brother.

I wouldn't recommend anyone use Gmail, unless I worked for the CIA.

>I had one hell of a job finding an email on hotmail for a Kurd

> <snip> He had his heart set on hotmail for some reason I
> have now forgotten.

Most hackable?

Rod Speed

Nov 4, 2010, 7:45:03 PM11/4/10
Chief Thracian wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>> I like google, mainly because it handles spam much better than
>> most of the rest like yahoo and has no limit on how much can
>> be stored, in fact they encourage you to keep stuff forever.

> That's because Google wants as much data on its users as possible...

Irrelevant, the fact remains that you can keep stuff for as long as you like.

> which they can sell over and over again, f*ck your privacy.

They dont get to sell anything I dont want sold.

> Also, they've become an arm of the government,

Pigs arse they have.

> thus keep *all* your mail in their servers is quite a boon for big brother.

Pity I dont.

> I wouldn't recommend anyone use Gmail, unless I worked for the CIA.

More fool you.

>> I had one hell of a job finding an email on hotmail for a Kurd
>> <snip> He had his heart set on hotmail for some reason I
>> have now forgotten.

> Most hackable?

Nar, its just what he had used in the past.