clothes dryer heat

RickMerrill

Oct 28, 2009, 2:26:34 PM10/28/09
Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back
into the house in the winter?

Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 2:39:31 PM10/28/09
RickMerrill wrote

> Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back into the house in the winter?

Nope, I line dry in winter.

> Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

Nope, because I dont use a dryer.

I dont use much heat in winter either now that I have
changed over to using a electric throw. Works very well.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 28, 2009, 3:37:21 PM10/28/09
On Oct 28, 1:26 pm, RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com>
wrote:

> Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back
> into the house in the winter?
>
> Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

Me neither. I don't want to risk mold and mildew even though moisture
in dry air is soothing to the skin, but I don't think the dryer is the
way to do it efficiently.

Al

Oct 28, 2009, 4:27:00 PM10/28/09
wrote:
> Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back
> into the house in the winter?
>
> Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

Not interested, but if I were I could make one easily enough without
your help.
Many people are not even using a dryer so they are not wasting any
hear.
If you use a dryer, you have money to burn.

Lou

Oct 28, 2009, 7:45:01 PM10/28/09

<itsjoan...@webtv.net> wrote in message

I don't think whether it's "efficient" or not is the issue - the dryer
produces warm, moist air as the inevitable result of operation. There may
be other, more efficient (in terms of electricity or gas usage, or the human
effort involved) ways of achieving this, but the dryer will continue to
produce it's output whenever it's used. So it makes sense to use this warm,
moist air if you actually have a use for it.

My chief concern would be filtering out the lint - a nylon stocking or pair
of pantyhose or something similar lets too much of the fine particulate
matter through, into the air, where the occupants of the dwelling can inhale
it.

A heat exchanger would seem to obviate both concerns - dust and excessive
humidity. A sizable fraction of the heat would be extracted from the
exhaust stream and dumped in the interior living space, while the dust and
moisture continue to be vented outside.

Message has been deleted

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 29, 2009, 2:26:15 PM10/29/09
On Oct 28, 2:26 pm, RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com>
wrote:

> Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back
> into the house in the winter?
>
> Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

No, I prefer not to inhale the carbon monoxide that my dryer
generates.

Cindy Hamilton

Rick Merrill

Oct 29, 2009, 3:14:34 PM10/29/09

heh? In a heat exchanger the old air exits and fresh air picks up the
heat from the old air, giving you fresh air.

Rod Speed

Oct 29, 2009, 4:24:54 PM10/29/09
Rick Merrill wrote
> Cindy Hamilton wrote
>> RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com> wrote

>>> Do you exhaust the clothes dryer heat back into the house in the winter?

>>> Would you be interested in building a DIY heat exchanger?

>> No, I prefer not to inhale the carbon monoxide that my dryer generates.

> heh? In a heat exchanger the old air exits and fresh air picks up the heat from the old air, giving you fresh air.

Trouble is that with a DIY heat exchanger, there is a substantial
risk of ending up with some of the carbon monoxide getting past
the heat exchanger and being breathed and that can kill you.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 30, 2009, 10:32:54 AM10/30/09
On Oct 29, 3:14 pm, Rick Merrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com>
wrote:

I know what a heat exchanger does. As rarely as I agree with Rod
Speed,
this is one of those times. A DIY heat exchanger gives me the
willies,
even though my husband is an excellent craftsman.

The paltry amount of heat that would be recovered is not worth the
risk.

In any event, our winter heating bill is not that high. We spend a
lot more
to heat the outdoor hot tub all winter, and to run the central air in
the
summer.

Cindy Hamilton

Oct 30, 2009, 3:50:16 PM10/30/09

"Cindy Hamilton" <angelica...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

RickMerrill

Oct 31, 2009, 10:43:31 AM10/31/09

Suddenly I see that you probably have gas dryer while I have
an electric dryer that produces No Carbon Monoxide!

Happy Halloween.

Cindy Hamilton

Nov 2, 2009, 1:40:52 PM11/2/09
On Oct 31, 9:43 am, RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.nospam.com>
wrote:

> Suddenly I see that you probably have gas dryer while I have
> an electric dryer that produces No Carbon Monoxide!

Consumer Reports claims that 80% of all dryers are electric.
I'm in the 20% that usually pays less to dry their clothes.
Certainly, electric rates here in Michigan make that true.
Places where electric rates are lower, maybe not.

Cindy Hamilton