Hot pot/Electric kettle

aesthete8

Jul 13, 2010, 10:21:22 PM7/13/10
I am hoping to find one that makes really hot water.

The hotter the better.

Any recommendations?

The Real Bev

Jul 13, 2010, 10:49:11 PM7/13/10

Consider getting an electric hot-water-on-demand faucet for your kitchen sink.
Hot enough for instant coffee or oatmeal and you don't have to pay for the
electricity to keep it hot even when you're not using it.

No, I don't have one, but my daughter does and I love it.

--
Cheers, Bev

SMS

Jul 14, 2010, 2:35:29 AM7/14/10

I don't think any of them make hot water over 212 degrees F.

We use a Zojirushi air pot that has three settings, 175, 195, and 208.
"http://www.zojirushi.com/ourproducts/elepots/cd_lcc.html"

There are many choices. I.e.
"http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11121294".

If you don't want to order one on-line, visit an Asian supermarket. They
are far too useful to be sold at regular stores in the U.S..

The ones with a manual pump last longer. I had a Zojirushi with an
electric pump where the pump failed.

For kettles, since they all boil water, they all go up to the boiling point.

Avoid those built-in hot water dispensers that are plumbed-in and that
use tap water. You want to use R.O. filtered water in the boiler.

Bob F

Jul 14, 2010, 3:19:30 PM7/14/10

I've had 2. Both leaked after awhile.

Where do you get the idea that you don't pay for the electricity to keep it hot
even when you don't use it? Both of the hot water faucets I owned had small
virtually uninsulated tanks heated by electricity as needed to keep them hot.
Whether you used them or not. Unless you reached under the counter and unplugged
them.

The Real Bev

Jul 14, 2010, 10:58:55 PM7/14/10

Error! Keeping an electric kettle going all day uses electricity. A friend
used to keep her coffeemaker going all day until she discovered that it
accounted for a huge percentage of their electric bill.

OTOH, we don't know what the original poster wanted the water for. Maybe he
DOES use it all day.

--
Cheers, Bev

Bob F

Jul 15, 2010, 6:41:03 PM7/15/10

I can't quite understanding how this responds to my post.

What's the error?

Gary Heston

Jul 15, 2010, 7:22:35 PM7/15/10
In article <4c3d5aad$0$22131$742e...@news.sonic.net>,

SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>On 13/07/10 7:21 PM, aesthete8 wrote:
>> I am hoping to find one that makes really hot water.

>> The hotter the better.

>> Any recommendations?

>I don't think any of them make hot water over 212 degrees F.

[ ... ]

Are there any pressure cookers with built-in elements? That
would do it.

As for the OP needing a way to cook smaller portions, try
cooking the rice in a microwave. As long as the proportion
of water to rice is correct, it should work fine. Just be
carefull when removing any cover you have on it to avoid
steam burns.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

If you want to reduce the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere,
go plant trees.

The Real Bev

Jul 15, 2010, 10:58:17 PM7/15/10
On 07/15/2010 03:41 PM, Bob F wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:

>>> I've had 2. Both leaked after awhile.

Replace a gasket? Gas-tank repair stuff?

>>> Where do you get the idea that you don't pay for the electricity to keep
>>> it hot even when you don't use it? Both of the hot water faucets I owned
>>> had small virtually uninsulated tanks heated by electricity as needed to
>>> keep them hot. Whether you used them or not. Unless you reached under
>>> the counter and unplugged them.
>>
>> Error! Keeping an electric kettle going all day uses electricity. A
>> friend used to keep her coffeemaker going all day until she discovered
>> that it accounted for a huge percentage of their electric bill. OTOH, we
>> don't know what the original poster wanted the water for. Maybe he DOES
>> use it all day.
>
> I can't quite understanding how this responds to my post.
>
> What's the error?

It was my error, actually. I wasn't clear. If you have an electric pot
boiling water all day it's GOT to add quite a bit to your electric bill. The
instant-on water heater thingy only uses electricity when you're actually
taking water from it. Clearly much cheaper. OTOH, since I don't know what the
original poster wanted to do with his hot water device, the always-on pot might
make sense. Or not.

--
Cheers, Bev

Bob F

Jul 16, 2010, 1:11:37 AM7/16/10

As I said, the "instant hot water"kitchen sink taps that I've had heat water
inside a small tank. They cycle on off all day and night to keep the water hot,
and the tanks have been virtually un-insulated. Since you likely would never
turn them off, they might be worse than the kettle.

I have never seen one that heats the water as you draw it. The water goes in the
bottom and hot water comes out the top. Like a water heater, the output gets
cooler if you draw too much at one time.

The Real Bev

Jul 16, 2010, 1:21:19 AM7/16/10

I ran the hot water for a few seconds and felt what appears to be a tank under
the sink. Room temperature, as was the tubing/piping. In theory with these
things you have an unlimited supply of hot water, so I don't see how a tank
would fit into that concept.

--
Cheers, Bev

SMS

Jul 16, 2010, 9:22:38 AM7/16/10
On 14/07/10 7:58 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

<snip>

> Error! Keeping an electric kettle going all day uses electricity. A
> friend used to keep her coffeemaker going all day until she discovered
> that it accounted for a huge percentage of their electric bill.

A coffee maker keeps the heating coil on all the time--there is no
temperature sensor. An electric air pot does not. It works like your
water heater and turns on only when the water cools down enough to
require re-heating. Since it's insulated, it's not constantly cycling.
Almost certainly the small amount of electricity it uses to keep the
water hot is more cost-efficient than frequently heating small amounts
of water on an electric stove or in a microwave. The most cost-efficient
method of heating water with electricity is an immersion because _all_
the heat goes into the water. This is essentially how an electric water
heater works as well.

What would be best with an electric air pot is to have it on a timer
that turns it off during long periods of non-use, but keeps it on at
peak usage times.

Bob F

Jul 16, 2010, 12:38:00 PM7/16/10
The Real Bev wrote:

>> As I said, the "instant hot water"kitchen sink taps that I've had
>> heat water inside a small tank. They cycle on off all day and night
>> to keep the water hot, and the tanks have been virtually
>> un-insulated. Since you likely would never turn them off, they might
>> be worse than the kettle. I have never seen one that heats the water as you
>> draw it. The water
>> goes in the bottom and hot water comes out the top. Like a water
>> heater, the output gets cooler if you draw too much at one time.
>
> I ran the hot water for a few seconds and felt what appears to be a
> tank under the sink. Room temperature, as was the tubing/piping. In
> theory with these things you have an unlimited supply of hot water,
> so I don't see how a tank would fit into that concept.

Maybe you actually found one with substantial insulation. I am pretty sure if
you took the "tank" apart, you'd find what looks like a baby tank water heater
inside. Try unplugging it overnight, than plug it in and see if the water
delivered immediately is full temp. If not, it is a tank type heater. If it is
full temp, let me know what the brand and model is - I might buy one.

Rod Speed

Jul 16, 2010, 3:04:14 PM7/16/10
Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <4c3d5aad$0$22131$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>> On 13/07/10 7:21 PM, aesthete8 wrote:
>>> I am hoping to find one that makes really hot water.
>
>>> The hotter the better.
>
>>> Any recommendations?
>
>> I don't think any of them make hot water over 212 degrees F.
> [ ... ]
>
> Are there any pressure cookers with built-in elements? That
> would do it.
>
> As for the OP needing a way to cook smaller portions, try
> cooking the rice in a microwave. As long as the proportion
> of water to rice is correct, it should work fine.

It takes a bit of experimentation to get the rice and water ratio and
time right, but is by far the best way to cook rice in smaller volumes.

aesthete8

Aug 8, 2010, 7:47:02 PM8/8/10

Would boiling water in a wok make it hotter?

aesthete8

Aug 11, 2010, 7:43:31 PM8/11/10