Will garage sales sink like a lead balloon?

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 9, 2009, 9:19:18 PM2/9/09
Last week I noticed a sign in my local thrift shop saying that as of
2/10/09 they would no longer sell any product of any kind that is
designed for use by a child under 12 years of age. The lead ruling
makes resellers liable for any lead contamination over 600 ppm. The
testing to certify products makes it impossible for resellers to
justify. The fine for violation can be $100,000 per violation.
So many garage sales are built around children's toys and clothes.
These are the traffic builders garage sellers depend upon. I believe
the law is an over reaction. From a buyer's standpoint, I'm not
worried about the potential of lead on a button or in the paint on a
toy. Do you think garage sales will be reduced greatly in number or
enhanced with more adult type products because of the lead ruling?

Dave Garland

Feb 9, 2009, 9:46:17 PM2/9/09
albu...@mailinator.com wrote:
> Do you think garage sales will be reduced greatly in number or
> enhanced with more adult type products because of the lead ruling?

I think garage sales will ignore the lead ruling. If anything, the
fact that thrift shops are not avenues to dispose of those items may
mean that even more of them will be sold at garage sales.

And I doubt that there's an enforcement agency anywhere that wants to
stick its head into that nest of bees that would be roused by
attempting to enforce it against garage sales.

Dave

albu...@mailinator.com

Feb 9, 2009, 9:58:05 PM2/9/09

That makes sense if people think about it. The buyer won't have the
money to test for lead either. Buyers at garage sales don't remember
where they purchased everything anyway. On the other hand, thrift
shops may have a bit deeper pockets and there are those who look for
somebody to sue, except I don't know that any of the fine goes to the
buyer. They would probably have to bring a civil suit. I hope it works
out that garage sales are bigger then ever due to the economy because
I really count on them. I start making a list about this time of year.

Rod Speed

Feb 9, 2009, 10:37:04 PM2/9/09

Bet it has no effect at all.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Feb 10, 2009, 12:34:40 AM2/10/09
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:19:18 -0800 (PST), albu...@mailinator.com
wrote:

Eventually, such stuff will go to jury trial, and the juries will
refuse to convict. Until then, items will be sold to and for ADULTS
ONLY. Police will be too strapped for cash to follow up on people
selling doll clothing for dolls the size of a ten year old.

Stupid, stupid, stupid law. Idiotic Congress.

ares

Feb 10, 2009, 6:02:18 PM2/10/09
I thought they took a hit because of the gas prices; I had one last year and
brought in only $11 after a load of work setting up; did way better at
others I'd had, and this one was supposedly a community one that was
advertised in the paper. Hardly anyone showed up.
ares

<albu...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

BigDog1

Feb 10, 2009, 6:46:45 PM2/10/09
On Feb 9, 7:46 pm, Dave Garland <dave.garl...@wizinfo.com> wrote:

I'm pretty sure this law applies only to commercial enterprises, not
private sales. Even if I'm wrong, your assessment is exactly correct
- the state or local health department, which is the enforcement
agency (not the police as another poster mentioned), does not have the
time, staff, or inclination to tamper with garage sales.