which cell phone/plan for emergency use only?

Ohioguy

Nov 19, 2011, 10:29:56 PM11/19/11
My wife wants a cell phone out in her car so that if the car breaks
down during commuting, she can call to be towed. She already has an old
cell phone under the seat that can call 911 in an emergency.

I realized I had an old "new in box" Tracfone that I bought at Kmart
for 8 bucks several years back. I was on the verge of buying a 1 year,
$100 card to activate it, but then paused. I found myself wondering, is
there a better option?

I have since found that T-Mobile offers a similar year of service for
about $100 as well.

Then I heard about AT&T Gophone's service, which is evidently $2 for
each day you use your phone. I can't seem to find real details, or an
example bill anywhere to look at, but it certainly does seem to be
saying unlimited voice use of the phone for $2, only on the days that
the phone is used.

This would seem to imply that if she only uses the phone for 1 day a
year, that it would only cost us $2. That seems too good to be true,
doesn't it? I'm wondering if they tack on some 911 fee, universal
service charge, plus lots of other taxes and fees or something like that.

I'm wondering what the catch is. Anyone have some firsthand
information they can share? I'd like to make a decision in the next
couple of days, so that she can have an emergency cell phone to use once
the snow and sleet are falling.

Thanks!
Message has been deleted

Bruce Esquibel

Nov 20, 2011, 11:04:08 AM11/20/11
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:

> This would seem to imply that if she only uses the phone for 1 day a
> year, that it would only cost us $2. That seems too good to be true,
> doesn't it? I'm wondering if they tack on some 911 fee, universal
> service charge, plus lots of other taxes and fees or something like that.

> I'm wondering what the catch is. Anyone have some firsthand
> information they can share? I'd like to make a decision in the next
> couple of days, so that she can have an emergency cell phone to use once
> the snow and sleet are falling.

No firsthand experience here but after reading the description of the
service, it does seem like there is some risk involved.

They consider the phone "in use" if either outbound or inbound calls are
made, including voicemail.

So I'd guess if someone called the number and it got handed off to vm, you
just spent $2.

Plus it's a credit system, you have to pre-pay to have money on account for
the $2 charges, although I don't see if there is a minimum to start.

Interesting idea though.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Ohioguy

Nov 20, 2011, 11:14:49 AM11/20/11
On 11/20/2011 1:20 AM, Derald wrote:
> I've been satisfied with PagePlus Cellular since the get-go. At any
> rate, ten bucks gets 100 minutes for 120 days, unused minutes are
> retained if time is added before they expire. Any phone that works on
> Verizon (except ->not<- a Verizon prepaid). You can buy minutes online
> and add them later, add minutes to your phone online, purchase minutes
> at many convenience stores and "drug" stores. Don't know but have been

Wow, that sounds like it would probably be the best option for us.
($30 a year) I do have two questions:

1) Is there some way to automate the buying of ten buck, 100 minutes for
the phone? I'm worried that, since this is supposed to be a rarely used
emergency phone, having to recharge every 120 days would increase the
likelihood that she would go to use the phone, and we would have
forgotten to apply a new $10 card to it.

2) Is there a list of phones that will work with this service?

Thanks!

Vic Smith

Nov 20, 2011, 11:34:35 AM11/20/11
First off, find out which company provides the coverage you need in
your area.
If T-Mobile has the coverage you need, they have a good pre-paid plan.
If you kick in $100 from the start, you are "Gold."
You get 1000 minutes and they are good for a year.
Then once a year you can purchase the minimum, 10 bucks.
No minutes ever expire if you do that.
I did that some years ago, and for my phone I spent 10 bucks for each
of the last 3 years. Still has about 500 minutes.
Averages to about 40 bucks a year for the 4-5 years I've had it
For my wife's phone it's worked out to be about 30 bucks a year for
the 7 years she's had it. She uses hers a lot more than me.
The longer you have it the less the yearly cost if you don't use a lot
of minutes.
Coverage comes first.
The other concern is how long a plan will last.
Things change.

--Vic

Message has been deleted

Mr. K

Nov 20, 2011, 12:52:06 PM11/20/11
In article <96aic7t51jak1u1nk...@4ax.com>,
My $.02
I have left a phone in the car and it seems the cold weather runs the
battery down faster. Even if not used. Is that common?
--
Karma, What a concept!

Gordon

Nov 20, 2011, 6:56:22 PM11/20/11
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote in

> I've been satisfied with PagePlus Cellular since the get-go.

I'll 2nd Page Plus. I just set up my wife and daughter with
a pair of PP phones. (BTW: There is an active community of
PP users on Facebook.).
In may case I dropped Sprint, ported the number to PP for
my wife to use, then got a new number for my daughter. I
then loaded up the phones with $25.00 (400 minutes). Counting
my own phone, I spent $50.00 for 3 cell phones last month.
PP is awesome.

SMS

Nov 20, 2011, 7:35:50 PM11/20/11
On 11/19/2011 7:29 PM, Ohioguy wrote:

> I have since found that T-Mobile offers a similar year of service for
> about $100 as well.

$10/year after the first year on T-Mobile.

The problem with T-Mobile is that the coverage is very poor. If you're
sure that she's not going to leave the urban core area T-Mobile will be
okay.

Pageplus is $30 a year ($10 added every 120 days) or $80 for 365 days
(added every 365 days). Far better coverage than T-Mobile since it's on
Verizon. The 120 day option is great, but you have to remember to add
money every 120 days, there is no way to do it completely automatically.

What you can do with Pageplus is to schedule a payment once per month,
but schedule the first payment the day before the 120 days expires. Then
go in and remove automatic payments, and then restart them for 120 days
later. If you forget to do this then nothing terrible happens, but
you're adding another $10 unnecessarily.

The lowest cost solution with good coverage is to use American Roaming
Network with an unregistered CDMA phone.
<http://www.americanroaming.com/retail_buy.php>. Outgoing calls only.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Nov 20, 2011, 7:55:20 PM11/20/11
In article <4ec87432$0$951$882e...@usenet-news.net>, Ohioguy <no...@none.net>
wrote:

> My wife wants a cell phone out in her car so that if the car breaks
> down during commuting, she can call to be towed. She already has an old
> cell phone under the seat that can call 911 in an emergency.

didn't we just have this discussion with you a few months back?
Message has been deleted

BigDog811

Nov 20, 2011, 10:26:57 PM11/20/11
On Nov 20, 10:52 am, "Mr. K" <george...@toast.net> wrote:
> In article <96aic7t51jak1u1nk0u8atug6f8gd18...@4ax.com>,
>  Vic Smith <thismailautodele...@comcast.net> wrote:
Yes it is. Temperature extremes play havoc on batteries - cell phones,
ipods, and other such devices SHOULD NOT be stored in vehicles. OPs
wife should carry her emergency phone in her purse or pocket, and not
store it in the car.

Vic Smith

Nov 21, 2011, 7:06:59 AM11/21/11
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:35:50 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 11/19/2011 7:29 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
>
>> I have since found that T-Mobile offers a similar year of service for
>> about $100 as well.
>
>$10/year after the first year on T-Mobile.
>
>The problem with T-Mobile is that the coverage is very poor. If you're
>sure that she's not going to leave the urban core area T-Mobile will be
>okay.

There is no problem with T-Mobile coverage if you're covered.
You should look at the big picture, not just remote parks in
California.
"Urban cores" is pure nonsense.
Except for some deep valleys I've had T-Mobile coverage in just about
rural area from Chicago to south Florida.
Of course that's all pretty close to an interstate highway, but most
people live pretty close to an interstate highway.
Ohio isn't Yosemite.

All Ohioguy has to do is ask locals how T-Mobile works for them.
If they have problems, don't get T-Mobile.
If it works for them, get T-Mobile.
No sense him paying more for Verizon or PagePlus because that's what
works for SMS.
You can easily find if a carrier has the coverage you need.
To be sure you can borrow a phone and take it to your usual places.

One thing I'll mention is my wife has to go outside her work to make a
call on her T-Mobile phone. She works in the ground floor center, a
kitchen with only SE facing windows.windows.
That's the only place her phone has failed to get a good signal.
She walked into the metal lined cooler there and her assistant was
yakking on his cell phone. He has Verizon.
But he also might have a better phone.
Don't know.

Now, if one of them was to get locked in that cooler, he would be the
one who could call for help.
But you can't get locked in that cooler.
My point here is if you're worried about getting locked in a cooler,
you should test your cell phone in the cooler.
Otherwise just test where you expect to normally use it.
Decide how much more you're willing to pay for "cooler protection."

--Vic

bob haller

Nov 21, 2011, 10:08:59 AM11/21/11
I tested one of my old verizon phones the other day, it had no
service.

i hit send and got a recorded message to wait for a operator to
complete call with credit card......

apparently any old digital verizon phone can make a outgoing call in a
emergency with a credit or debit card

Ohioguy

Nov 21, 2011, 12:42:48 PM11/21/11
On 11/20/2011 6:56 PM, Gordon wrote:
> I'll 2nd Page Plus. I just set up my wife and daughter with
> a pair of PP phones.

Thanks, everybody, for the help and suggestions with this.

Ok, I'm definitely going with Page Plus Cellular - they have good
coverage in my area.

I think I should restrict choices to a "dumb" phone instead of a
smart phone. My wife values simplicity, and I'm guessing that in an
emergency, she would rather have ease of use. Long talk time would
probably mean good battery, too.

I should probably also limit choices to flip phone - seems to be the
only way to guarantee that no keys are hit on accident. Considering the
issues we had once with a refurb Gophone, I should probably limit my
choices to new as well.

So, can anyone point me to a new "dumb" flip phone with at least 4
hours of talk time that will definitely work with Page Plus cellular?

Thanks!
Message has been deleted

Gordon

Nov 21, 2011, 4:40:06 PM11/21/11

> Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
>
>> I think I should restrict choices to a "dumb" phone instead of a
>>smart phone. My wife values simplicity, and I'm guessing that in an
>>emergency, she would rather have ease of use. Long talk time would
>>probably mean good battery, too.
> Customer service can disable any of the features for you. Remember
> that disabling text means you won't get renewal notices or SMS sent as
> email and disabling voice mail means missed calls really are missed. I
> don't know where you can get a new phone. I think those sold on the
> Pageplus site are refurbs. If the mcf-l cellphone mavens are still
> around, perhaps they have some suggestions.

Pageplus now only sells new phones. But, the down side of this
is that the selection is now about 3 phones. You can also check
with My Supply World or Kitty Wireless (they sell PP compatible
phones) to see if they have a better selection.

THE Wise & Wonderful Shawn Hirn

Nov 21, 2011, 10:08:05 PM11/21/11
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:

> My wife wants a cell phone out in her car so that if the car breaks
> down during commuting, she can call to be towed. She already has an old
> cell phone under the seat that can call 911 in an emergency.

If all she wants is to call a towing company and 911, the cell phone she
has is probably fine. Try dialing a phone number (not 911) and see what
happens. Odds are, her call will be intercepted and an automated system
will allow her to place the call for a fee, which she can pay for with a
credit or debit card.

SMS

Nov 22, 2011, 10:21:01 AM11/22/11
On 11/21/2011 9:42 AM, Ohioguy wrote:

> So, can anyone point me to a new "dumb" flip phone with at least 4 hours
> of talk time that will definitely work with Page Plus cellular?

New is tough.

Look for a Motorola V325i in good condition.

Should be a gazillion of these on craigslist, ebay, and freecycle.

SMS

Nov 22, 2011, 10:58:38 AM11/22/11
On 11/21/2011 9:42 AM, Ohioguy wrote:

> So, can anyone point me to a new "dumb" flip phone with at least 4 hours
> of talk time that will definitely work with Page Plus cellular?

Go to http://digicircle.com and search for V3C. You can pick up a RAZR
in excellent condition for under $20.

The Real Bev

Nov 23, 2011, 1:07:59 AM11/23/11
On 11/21/2011 10:43 AM, Derald wrote:

> Customer service can disable any of the features for you. Remember
> that disabling text means you won't get renewal notices or SMS sent as
> email and disabling voice mail means missed calls really are missed.

I haven't actually checked (it just occurred to me), but it would be
really nice if T-Mobile could reject calls from numbers not in my
phonebook. I really hate paying a dime to pick up a telemarketer call
because it MIGHT be somebody I know calling from an unfamiliar number.
If such calls were disabled I'd never have to worry about them :-)

I know telemarketing to cellphones is illegal. So is calling people on
the do-not-call list, and we all know how well that works.

--
Cheers, Bev
If I know that chaining yourself to a dead cow is stupid,

Rod Speed

Nov 23, 2011, 2:49:01 PM11/23/11
The Real Bev wrote
> Derald wrote

>> Customer service can disable any of the features for you. Remember
>> that disabling text means you won't get renewal notices or SMS sent
>> as email and disabling voice mail means missed calls really are missed.

> I haven't actually checked (it just occurred to me), but it would be really nice if T-Mobile could reject calls from
> numbers not in my phonebook.

Not a great idea if the local hospital or cops cant call you to tell
you that someone who is down there needs your assistence etc.

Or even just someone who happens to have a working cellphone
lending that phone to someone you know well who wants to call
you when their phone has stopped working etc.

> I really hate paying a dime to pick up a telemarketer call because it MIGHT be somebody I know calling from an
> unfamiliar number.
> If such calls were disabled I'd never have to worry about them :-)

Till you find out that hubby died without being able to talk to you etc.
Message has been deleted

Vic Smith

Nov 23, 2011, 7:41:01 PM11/23/11
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 17:41:48 -0500, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

> What is your point? My wife is the only living soul who has my cell
>phone number. No one at the police station, hospital, etc. is going to
>be trying to reach my cell phone. What part of "emergency use" isn't
>clear to you? My cell phone is for me to place calls, not to receive
>them. As a rule, it isn't even turned on. Who needs it? Who the hell
>wants his day interrupted with telephone calls, anyway? Beside, the news
>that ones spouse has died is hardly an emergency or even urgent because
>what the recipient can do with or about the "news" is absolutely
>nothing.

Besides that, you can assign a ring tone to numbers calling that you
care about. Ignore the rest.
Too technical for me, but my son set up our home phones and my wife's
cell phone that way.
Not my cell phone though. Only answer that one when I'm in Florida
and the kids call, because I told them to call that one to use some
minutes instead of my wife's minutes.
I hear mine ring once in a while. But I ignore it.
Probably maxed out the "missed calls" counter.

--Vic
Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Nov 24, 2011, 1:26:43 PM11/24/11
Derald wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Derald wrote

>>> I haven't actually checked (it just occurred to me), but it wouldbe really
>>> nice if T-Mobile could reject calls from numbers not in my phonebook.

>> Not a great idea if the local hospital or cops cant call you to tell
>> you that someone who is down there needs your assistence etc.

>> Or even just someone who happens to have a working cellphone
>> lending that phone to someone you know well who wants to call
>> you when their phone has stopped working etc.

>>> I really hate paying a dime to pick up a telemarketer call because
>>> it MIGHT be somebody I know calling from an unfamiliar number.
>>> If such calls were disabled I'd never have to worry about them :-)

>> Till you find out that hubby died without being able to talk to you etc.

>>> I know telemarketing to cellphones is illegal. So is calling people
>>> on the do-not-call list, and we all know how well that works.

> What is your point?

That the approach Bev was proposing has some very real downsides
like the ones I listed.

> My wife is the only living soul who has my cell phone number.
> No one at the police station, hospital, etc. is going to be trying
> to reach my cell phone.

Doesnt mean that thats true of everyone, so some of them will get
the downsides I listed if the cellphone telco does what Bev proposed.

> What part of "emergency use" isn't clear to you?

She wasnt just talking about emergency use phones.

> My cell phone is for me to place calls, not to receive them.

Thats not true for many cellphone users. Plenty of them dont even
bother with a landline now.

> As a rule, it isn't even turned on. Who needs it?

Someone who doesnt even have a landline anymore and who only
has the cellphone or someone who moves around quite a bit and
who prefers to be able to get phone calls most of the time.

> Who the hell wants his day interrupted with telephone calls, anyway?

Plenty who want to be callable when someone they
care about ends up in hospital and are about to die etc.

> Beside, the news that ones spouse has died is hardly an emergency or even urgent
> because what the recipient can do with or about the "news" is absolutely nothing.

Yes, but if they arent dead yet, many would prefer to be able
to talk to the person who is about to die before they die, or
even just be notified that someone they care about is in hospital
after a serious accident even if they arent about to die etc.

I've even had the cops call me on more than one ocassion and
tell me something I do want to know, like the fact that they have
some of my property that was stolen from my car by a couple
of kids that were caught quite literally walking around the streets
in the middle of the night loading up a wheelbarrow they had stolen
from somewhere, with the stuff they could get from various cars.

I would also like to be told by the cops that they had found
my stolen car quickly enough so that I could go and retrieve
the car before it gets torched or stolen again, etc etc etc.

One of my neighbours rang me and told me that it looked like
my house was on fire. Turned out that it wasnt and that it was
just an unusual situation where water was evaporating from my
1' wide roof gutters after a summer shower and it just looked
like smoke but wasnt.

I have also rang a different neighbour when I saw someone
go over the brick wall on the park side of their yard to check
if that was an intruder or if it was just a mate of one of their
kids. When I didnt get an answer to the phone call, I called
the cops and got them to check what was going on.

Rod Speed

Nov 24, 2011, 1:40:26 PM11/24/11
Vic Smith wrote
> Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote

>> What is your point? My wife is the only living soul who has my cell
>> phone number. No one at the police station, hospital, etc. is going
>> to be trying to reach my cell phone. What part of "emergency use"
>> isn't clear to you? My cell phone is for me to place calls, not to
>> receive them. As a rule, it isn't even turned on. Who needs it? Who
>> the hell wants his day interrupted with telephone calls, anyway?
>> Beside, the news that ones spouse has died is hardly an emergency or
>> even urgent because what the recipient can do with or about the
>> "news" is absolutely nothing.

> Besides that, you can assign a ring tone to numbers calling that you
> care about. Ignore the rest.

Same problem. If you wife has just died before you could talk to her,
because you ignored the call from the hospital or from someone at the
scene of the accident to say that she has been involved in a serious accident...

> Too technical for me, but my son set up our home phones and my wife's
> cell phone that way.

Its got some real downsides.

> Not my cell phone though. Only answer that one when I'm in Florida
> and the kids call, because I told them to call that one to use some
> minutes instead of my wife's minutes.

Plenty only have a cellphone now.

> I hear mine ring once in a while. But I ignore it.
> Probably maxed out the "missed calls" counter.

My neighbour is glad that he isnt that stupid, I've called him a number
of times now when his house alarm has gone off, more than once
when it was a real burglar that set it off and another time when
one of his brothers had been around to use the pool, had forgotten
to lock the door as left, and I discovered the door unlocked when the
alarm went off by itself.

Vic Smith

Nov 24, 2011, 2:46:28 PM11/24/11
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 05:40:26 +1100, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Vic Smith wrote

>> Besides that, you can assign a ring tone to numbers calling that you
>> care about. Ignore the rest.
>
>Same problem. If you wife has just died before you could talk to her,
>because you ignored the call from the hospital or from someone at the
>scene of the accident to say that she has been involved in a serious accident...

So what? I have a landline.
And if my wife is out I always answer that phone.
If I'm out I check for voice mail when I get back.

>> Too technical for me, but my son set up our home phones and my wife's
>> cell phone that way.
>
>Its got some real downsides.

None I've seen. All good to know who's calling by the ring.

>> Not my cell phone though. Only answer that one when I'm in Florida
>> and the kids call, because I told them to call that one to use some
>> minutes instead of my wife's minutes.
>
>Plenty only have a cellphone now.

Yep. Son and daughter have cell only.
I have landline and cell.
Nobody calls my cell unless I've instructed them too.

>> I hear mine ring once in a while. But I ignore it.
>> Probably maxed out the "missed calls" counter.
>
>My neighbour is glad that he isnt that stupid, I've called him a number
>of times now when his house alarm has gone off, more than once
>when it was a real burglar that set it off and another time when
>one of his brothers had been around to use the pool, had forgotten
>to lock the door as left, and I discovered the door unlocked when the
>alarm went off by itself.

Never had a burglar bother me here.
Same could be said about a house fire or the roof blowing off.
I'll find out soon enough.
Not the reason I have a cell phone.
The cell is only for when I'm in the car going somewhere.
That's it. It's not the boss of me.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Nov 24, 2011, 3:08:48 PM11/24/11
Vic Smith wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Vic Smith wrote

>>> Besides that, you can assign a ring tone to numbers calling that you
>>> care about. Ignore the rest.

>> Same problem. If you wife has just died before you could talk to her,
>> because you ignored the call from the hospital or from someone at the
>> scene of the accident to say that she has been involved in a serious accident...

> So what? I have a landline.

Plenty dont anymore. And the landline wont help you if you are
out when someone calls you from the accident scene and your
wife has given them the cellphone number to call and tell you
she's had a serious accident because she is not in any condition
to call you herself or you have had enough of a clue to include
both your landline number and the cellphone number in the car
she drives etc so someone can call you from the scene of the
accident if that is required and she isnt even conscious etc.

> And if my wife is out I always answer that phone.

Pity about when you are both out.

> If I'm out I check for voice mail when I get back.

She may be dead by then.

>>> Too technical for me, but my son set up our home
>>> phones and my wife's cell phone that way.

>> Its got some real downsides.

> None I've seen.

Yes, those events fortunately dont happen that often.

But late once its happened and she died before she can get to talk to you etc.

> All good to know who's calling by the ring.

But fucked if you are too stupid to answer the call because
its not her thats ringing personally, but someone else at the
accident scene calling on their own cellphone to tell you that
your wife is very seriously injured and cant call you herself.

>>> Not my cell phone though. Only answer that one when I'm
>>> in Florida and the kids call, because I told them to call that
>>> one to use some minutes instead of my wife's minutes.

>> Plenty only have a cellphone now.

> Yep. Son and daughter have cell only.
> I have landline and cell.
> Nobody calls my cell unless I've instructed them too.

And you may well regret that if your wife ends up in a serious
accident and you are both out and you dont have your cellphone
number included in the car so someone can call you if your wife
is incapable of calling you herself because she is too seriously
injured to do that.

>>> I hear mine ring once in a while. But I ignore it.
>>> Probably maxed out the "missed calls" counter.

>> My neighbour is glad that he isnt that stupid, I've called him
>> a number of times now when his house alarm has gone off,
>> more than once when it was a real burglar that set it off and
>> another time when one of his brothers had been around to
>> use the pool, had forgotten to lock the door as left, and I
>> discovered the door unlocked when the alarm went off by itself.

> Never had a burglar bother me here.

Thats what he said the first time too.

Thats what I said the first time it happened too.

> Same could be said about a house fire or the roof blowing off.
> I'll find out soon enough.

In his case it was much better to find out while the crim was still catchable.

> Not the reason I have a cell phone.
> The cell is only for when I'm in the car going somewhere.

And that can be when your wife has been involved in a serious accident
and isnt capable of calling you herself or of even telling someone that
you are too stupid to answer your cell if it isnt her calling.

> That's it. It's not the boss of me.

It aint the boss of you if someone is telling you that your wife has
been involved in a serious accident and cant call you herself either.

The Real Bev

Nov 26, 2011, 1:32:44 AM11/26/11

On 11/23/2011 02:41 PM, Derald wrote:
> "Rod Speed"<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote
>>> Derald wrote

>>> I haven't actually checked (it just occurred to me), but it would
>>> be really nice if T-Mobile could reject calls from numbers not in
>>> my phonebook.
>>
>> Not a great idea if the local hospital or cops cant call you to
>> tell you that someone who is down there needs your assistence etc.
>>
>> Or even just someone who happens to have a working cellphone
>> lending that phone to someone you know well who wants to call you
>> when their phone has stopped working etc.
>>
>>> I really hate paying a dime to pick up a telemarketer call
>>> because it MIGHT be somebody I know calling from an unfamiliar
>>> number. If such calls were disabled I'd never have to worry about
>>> them :-)
>>
>> Till you find out that hubby died without being able to talk to you
>> etc.

Wouldn't happen unless he had time to find my cell number call a friend
who knows my cell number. It would probably be more efficient for the
friend to call me after he calls 911 for my husband.

>>> I know telemarketing to cellphones is illegal. So is calling
>>> people on the do-not-call list, and we all know how well that
>>> works.
>>
> What is your point? My wife is the only living soul who has my cell
> phone number. No one at the police station, hospital, etc. is going
> to be trying to reach my cell phone. What part of "emergency use"
> isn't clear to you? My cell phone is for me to place calls, not to
> receive them. As a rule, it isn't even turned on. Who needs it? Who
> the hell wants his day interrupted with telephone calls, anyway?
> Beside, the news that ones spouse has died is hardly an emergency or
> even urgent because what the recipient can do with or about the
> "news" is absolutely nothing.

My phone is off most of the time too. I only use it for "I'm here, where
are you?" or "I forgot the..." or "I'm running late, wait for me" calls
to friends and relatives. Not chatting.

I'm not really happy to turn it on and see I have a text message (5
cents) or voicemail (10 cents/minute) with no additional information
about the sender. Both turn out to be telemarketers. You can't kill
them. You can't turn them in to anybody who cares. And you spent money
to read their message. Maybe smartphones provide more information, but
they aren't what you use with a $10/year plan unless you find one at a
yard sale for $5.

I don't like being cheated, even out of small amounts. Do you?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey