Column: "She thought her boyfriend was being generous, but he thought it was a loan"

Lenona

Jan 15, 2011, 12:45:33 PM1/15/11
I think every teen, especially, needs to read this.
Lenona.

http://lifestyle.msn.com/relationships/article.aspx?cp-documentid=27251711

Dear Miss Manners,
My wallet was recently stolen and a bunch of fraudulent charges were
posted to my bank account. I have made all the necessary phone calls
and arrangements to keep my credit safe and get my money back, however
I was left with no access to my money until I received my new ATM
card.

My boyfriend, who I've lived with for the last two years and been in a
serious relationship with, has been very comforting and understanding
telling me not to worry about money and that he'll take care of my
necessary expenses (i.e., gas or food) until I get my new card.

Now that I've gotten my money credited back from the bank, he expects
me to pay him back, as if his gracious gift of taking care of things
in my emergency situation was nothing more than a loan. Am I wrong to
feel insulted and let down that he was only 'loaning' me money when I
thought he was just being a wonderful partner?

Gentle Reader,
You two need to have a talk. If Miss Manners detects an underlying
resentment about your usual financial arrangements, surely the
gentleman does, too. If you feel unhappy with the arrangement by which
you each pay your own expenses, you are free to negotiate a basic
change if he is willing to go along with it.

But please do not denigrate his favor of covering your expenses while
you were waiting to recover your money. You are asking to collect
twice, once from the bank and once from him. He was, then, supportive,
but that is not the same thing as being willing to support you.