Internet protection product?

KenK

Sep 28, 2011, 12:29:36 PM9/28/11
I have 2011 Kaspersky. Tried to renew it (runs out in a little over a week)
but it seems to be impossible to get the physical product upgrade. Tried
on-line and by phone. I use dial-up so a DLable product takes much too long
with my unreliable connection. Haven't seen 2012 in stores here. Guess I'm
going to have to buy another product. I don't like Norton - too hard to
remove - and have had back luck with Trend Micro. Any other suggestions?

TIA

Ken

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Message has been deleted

KenK

Sep 28, 2011, 1:16:47 PM9/28/11
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote in

> KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>I have 2011 Kaspersky. Tried to renew it (runs out in a little over a
>>week) but it seems to be impossible to get the physical product
>>upgrade. Tried on-line and by phone. I use dial-up so a DLable product
>>takes much too long with my unreliable connection. Haven't seen 2012
>>in stores here. Guess I'm going to have to buy another product. I
>>don't like Norton - too hard to remove - and have had back luck with
>>Trend Micro. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Ken
> O/S? Although, it has been seven years since I needed it, free
> software
> exists that will re-establish broken download connections so that
> unattended downloads on dial-up are practical, if time consuming. From
> version three, upwards, Firefox can resume broken downloads but I do
> not know whether it can induce your dialer to re-establish a broken
> connection. Also, many web servers do not support download resumption
> after a broken connection. Your question regarding malware/virus
> protection might be better put in alt.comp.freeware. A number of free
> alternatives perform on a level comparable to the Kaspersy product.
> More choices exist for Linux and Windows users than for Mac users, but
> what's new? Among them are Avast, Avira, Superantispyware,
> Malwarebytes. My personal choices are Avast and Malwarebytes because
> both continue to perform well in my obsolete O/S. I do not know
> whether any of the free products is distributed on CD but their
> respective web sites should have that information. In a pinch, you
> might be able to get someone with broadband to download them and put
> them on a USB flash drive.

Sorry - I forgot. I'm using Windows XP Home.

Annie Woughman

Sep 28, 2011, 7:14:58 PM9/28/11

"KenK" <inv...@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I have 2011 Kaspersky. Tried to renew it (runs out in a little over a
> week)
> but it seems to be impossible to get the physical product upgrade. Tried
> on-line and by phone. I use dial-up so a DLable product takes much too
> long
> with my unreliable connection. Haven't seen 2012 in stores here. Guess I'm
> going to have to buy another product. I don't like Norton - too hard to
> remove - and have had back luck with Trend Micro. Any other suggestions?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken
We have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for our computers and it
works great and it is free:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

We used to use AVG (also free) but it started becoming a system hog.

The Real Bev

Sep 28, 2011, 11:14:54 PM9/28/11
On 09/28/2011 04:14 PM, Annie Woughman wrote:
> "KenK"<inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> I have 2011 Kaspersky. Tried to renew it (runs out in a little over
>> a week) but it seems to be impossible to get the physical product
>> upgrade. Tried on-line and by phone. I use dial-up so a DLable
>> product takes much too long with my unreliable connection. Haven't
>> seen 2012 in stores here. Guess I'm going to have to buy another
>> product. I don't like Norton - too hard to remove - and have had
>> back luck with Trend Micro. Any other suggestions?
>>
> We have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for our computers
> and it works great and it is free:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx
>
> We used to use AVG (also free) but it started becoming a system
> hog.

Can you set it to just scan downloaded files that might be questionable?

--
Cheers, Bev
"A friend is someone who puts the needs of others above their own.

SMS

Sep 29, 2011, 12:32:00 PM9/29/11
On 9/29/2011 6:59 AM, Derald wrote:

> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 09/28/2011 04:14 PM, Annie Woughman wrote:
>>
>>> We used to use AVG (also free) but it started becoming a system
>>> hog.
>>
>> Can you set it to just scan downloaded files that might be questionable?
> Automagically or real-time? I used AVG, too, and abandonded it at about v8
> for the same reason: It just ate up resources and updates were molasses-slow.
> Used Avira (free) for a while but it's unstable when all the real-time sludge is
> disabled. Nowadays, I use Avast (free) in win2k (2gHzp4, 2gbyte RAM) with all
> the real-time stuff turned off except P2P scanning specific to uTorrent. It
> works well as a simple on-demand scanner with manual updates. AFAIK, though, all
> three have modules that run as services so some amount of resource use is
> constant.

I also gave up on AVG and switched to Avast. Avast appears to be the
best in terms of not being a resource hog and actually working. Don't
get me started on Norton.

Apparently we are not alone:
<http://www.cnet.com/4504-20_1-0.html?dlProdId=11570241&dlProdId=11594869&dlProdId=11261609&dlProdId=11668370&dlProdId=11464383>

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Sep 30, 2011, 12:28:56 AM9/30/11
On 09/29/2011 09:32 AM, SMS wrote:

> On 9/29/2011 6:59 AM, Derald wrote:
>>
>> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Can you set it to just scan downloaded files that might be questionable?
>> Automagically or real-time?

At will. "This .exe file might be suspicious, just let me look at it
with fpscan..." The linux version is still free, so I check stuff I'm
going to move to my windows machine.

>> I used AVG, too, and abandonded it at about v8
>> for the same reason: It just ate up resources and updates were molasses-slow.

I've got that, but it seems unobtrusive. Since I only use that machine
every few weeks I'm always prompted to download and install some new
update. Comes with the territory.

>> Used Avira (free) for a while but it's unstable when all the real-time sludge is
>> disabled. Nowadays, I use Avast (free) in win2k (2gHzp4, 2gbyte RAM) with all
>> the real-time stuff turned off except P2P scanning specific to uTorrent. It
>> works well as a simple on-demand scanner with manual updates. AFAIK, though, all
>> three have modules that run as services so some amount of resource use is
>> constant.
>
> I also gave up on AVG and switched to Avast. Avast appears to be the
> best in terms of not being a resource hog and actually working. Don't
> get me started on Norton.
>
> Apparently we are not alone:
> <http://www.cnet.com/4504-20_1-0.html?dlProdId=11570241&dlProdId=11594869&dlProdId=11261609&dlProdId=11668370&dlProdId=11464383>

--
Cheers,
Bev
When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a thumb.

Mac Cool

Sep 30, 2011, 3:06:05 AM9/30/11
KenK:

> impossible to get the physical product upgrade

Newegg.com has it for $39.99
Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Sep 30, 2011, 7:43:28 PM9/30/11
On 09/30/2011 05:34 AM, Derald wrote:

> The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>At will. "This .exe file might be suspicious, just let me look at it
>>with fpscan..."
> Oops; that's what I meant. Missing a few more brain cells, I suppose. As
> stated elsewhere, that's how I use my virus scanner, too, and I don't know why I
> do that.

Because it's fast and having some virus thing check everything that
moves slows stuff down a lot.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.

Gary Heston

Sep 30, 2011, 9:07:49 PM9/30/11
In article <ieidnWzUdPSoNBjT...@earthlink.com>,
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>At will. "This .exe file might be suspicious, just let me look at it
>>with fpscan..."
> Oops; that's what I meant. Missing a few more brain cells, I suppose. As
>stated elsewhere, that's how I use my virus scanner, too, and I don't know why I
>do that.

For those using MSE, this might be of interest:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/30/microsoft_nukes_google_chrome/

When Microsoft came out with Internet Exploder 1.0, upon installation it
eradicated every trace of any other browser (including links/bookmarks)
with no warning or confirmation.

Microsoft claimed this was a bug. I don't know of anyone who believed
that.

I'm not sure anyone should, now.

Gary

Message has been deleted

Dennis

Oct 1, 2011, 2:33:19 PM10/1/11
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:07:49 -0500, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

>For those using MSE, this might be of interest:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/30/microsoft_nukes_google_chrome/

FTR, I use both MSE and Chrome, and have had no problems. Maybe this
(from the linked article) saved me:

A separate Chrome user said in this support forum that "Chrome users
that do not send usage statistics to Google are unaffected."

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin