Medicaid?

Walter

Mar 22, 2002, 3:02:20 PM3/22/02
Hello all,

I'm 63 and living entirely on Social Security of $1004 per month. No savings
or investments.

I went to a dermatologist about a long-time sore on my chest. He said it's
skin cancer and that I have them on my chest, face, and arms.

I couldn't afford treatment so he said I should get Medicaid and also go to
the clinic at the local county hospital. He said he accepts Medicaid, so he
could then treat me. (He kindly didn't charge me for the visit.)

What's Medicaid? Where and how do I get it? What are the eligibility
requirements?

Thanks for your help.
--

Walter Donavan
Please reply to newsgroup

Walter

Mar 22, 2002, 4:32:57 PM3/22/02
Pat,

Medicare is only for people over 65. The Social Security office was very
specific about that. Were they wrong? I am not quite 63.

Meanwhile, I found the local state office that handles Medicaid and food
stamps and will go there Monday.

Thanks again.
--

Walter
www.7stages.com
"Pat Meadows" <p...@meadows.pair.com> wrote in message

> You should have Medicare, not Medicaid. Medicare will pay
> for this type of thing.
>
> See: http://www.medicare.gov/
>
> Everyone who is on Social Security automatically has
> Medicare Part A at no cost, and is eligible for Medicare
> Part B, which costs $50/month.
>
> I'd recommend phoning your local Social Security office
> immediately and asking them how to get it quickly.
>
> Medicaid is only for people with very low incomes.
>
> I doubt very much that you would qualify for Medicaid with
> an income of $1003/month, although the eligibility criteria
> do vary by state, so I suppose it's possible.
>
> For info on Medicaid, see:
>

> http://www.ssa.gov/work/ResourcesToolkit/Health/medicaid.html
>
> Again, your local Social Security Office should be able to
> help you determine if you are eligible, and help you to get
> it if you are.
>
> Pat
>

> --
> Pat Meadows
> Software development and computer consulting
> http://www.wellsborocomputing.com

jun...@fakeemail.com

Mar 22, 2002, 7:01:25 PM3/22/02
Walter wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Medicare is only for people over 65. The Social Security office was very
> specific about that. Were they wrong? I am not quite 63.
>
> Meanwhile, I found the local state office that handles Medicaid and food
> stamps and will go there Monday.
>
> Thanks again.
> --
>
> Walter
> www.7stages.com

Walter, if you end up not qualifying for Medicaid, try your county
hospital anyway--they may have a special program for people without
health insurance. Depending on where you live, there may also be a
network of physicians who offer free care to low-income people. (In my
area, the local Medical Association branch runs this). You might also
try your county health dept.--they may know of a service they can refer
you to.

Junebug

Elise D. Faber

Mar 22, 2002, 10:18:08 PM3/22/02
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:32:57 -0500, "Walter" <inv...@email.not>
wrote:

>Pat,
>
>Medicare is only for people over 65. The Social Security office was very
>specific about that. Were they wrong? I am not quite 63.
>
>Meanwhile, I found the local state office that handles Medicaid and food
>stamps and will go there Monday.
>
>Thanks again.

medicare is also available to disabled people. since you are getting
social security before you are 65, sre you disabled? the cancer
diagnosis may make you disabled.

i agree with pat that $1000/mo is probably too high for medicaid. i
get less than that and i'm not eligible [in ny]. but they do have
[again in ny] a program that will pay your expenses after you have
paid a certain amount.

hope you get help.

elise

Old_Timer

Mar 22, 2002, 10:54:29 PM3/22/02
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 15:02:20 -0500, "Walter" <inv...@email.not>
wrote:

>Hello all,

Walter - Are you a military veteran?. Is there a Vets Admin Hospital
near you? If so you might be able to get some assistance there even
if you do have to make some co-payments. Check it out.

Old_Timer

su-t...@webtv.net

Mar 22, 2002, 11:58:14 PM3/22/02
you can get Medicare early if you need it, & way before you are 65.

also, the Medicare & Medicaid offices are supposed to be a lot nicer &
more helpful to you, when you have illnesses like cancer.

be sure to tell them about the cancer diagnosis up-front.

ask for an immediate, emergency-type appointment, because of the cancer
& the lack of medical care, ... so that you wont have to wait months or
so, for an appt.

when speaking to them (by phone?), stress that you have no medical care,
& that you have been refused medical care for your cancer by the
doctors, because you have no insurance.

at the appt, remember to stay calm & to just keep repeating the facts,
when you are asked.

-------------

Papers

get a copy from your doctor, of exactly what he diagnosed in writing,
... so that you can present this at your Medicare, Medicaid, or VA
appointment.

that will save some time.

before you keep the appt, ask the Medicare/Medicaid people about what
papers you will need to have & to bring with you, ... because this might
can save some time, too.

even if you dont have all the papers, do keep the first appointment
possible/available, because getting to medical care quickly is your main
priority.

do not give them the originals of any papers/documents, because they
often lose papers & then need more copies.

--------------

i have cancer too (Stage 3 breast cancer), i got an operation, & i am
getting chemotherapy now.

a diagnosis of cancer can be very scary at first, but after things
settle down some, it aint so bad.

they have much better & more effective drugs now, than even five years
ago.

---------------

i got Medicare very, very early, after my surviving two
assaults/attempted murders at the small post office where i worked in
1995.

if you have any problems getting Medicare, Medicaid, or VA help, then
please post here again.

someone will probably know the answer, or can make some suggestions.

take care.

susan, su_texas my opinions

Walter

Mar 23, 2002, 7:51:51 AM3/23/02
Thanks to everyone for your help. Although the skin cancer wasn't diagnosed
with a biopsy, it is probably the same basal cell carcinoma, that I had in
the early 1980's. The sore has been on my chest so long (a year or more)
that if it were melanoma I'd doubtless be dead. If I gave the impression
that this was an emergency, I apologize.

I live close to the county hospital and the Medicaid/food stamps office.
I'll pursue both on Monday. I've already asked the Medicaid office to send
me an application.

I am a veteran but the last time I went to the VA five or ten years ago they
said they couldn't treat me because I wasn't in long enough (abut 8 months).
But I'll call them anyway. Things can change.

Thanks again. Particular thanks to Susan.
--

Walter
Please reply to newsgroup

JonquilJan

Mar 23, 2002, 10:10:37 PM3/23/02
Been there - done that.

I am lucky (?) enough to have Medicare because I am on Social Security
Disability - but also qualified for a type of Medicaid for a while.
Medicaid (talking New York state) is entirely based on income. I was on a
spend down basis - I had to generate a certain amount of medical expenses in
a month and then Medicaid would pick up the rest. The only time it cut in
was when I was hospitalized and had to pay the deductible. Then Medicaid
covered me for the next 6 months. But - since Medicare was picking up so
much of the expenses, about the only thing Medicaid paid was perscriptions
and the co-pay/deductible I had. Not very much.

And I get less Social Security than you - and barely qualified. Mainly for
very low income, then it covers a lot. Could be different in your state.

State generated - check with your local Social Services.

JonquilJan

--

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
Walter <inv...@email.not> wrote in message

JonquilJan

~^Johnny^~

Mar 24, 2002, 9:25:59 AM3/24/02
wrote:

>Medicare is only for people over 65. The Social Security office was very
>specific about that.

Bull. Whoever told you that doesn't have his/her facts straight.

>Were they wrong?

Yes. They were wrong. Being eligible for full Social Security
benefits automatically qualifies you for Medicare.

I would hire an attorney who specializes in SS / Medicare, ASAP, if I
were you.

Any decision must be appealed within 60 days, and then your attorney
can help you take the case before an administrative law judge, if
necessary.

--
-john

~~~~~~~~
The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining
- JFK
~~~~~~~~

Quasinerd

Mar 24, 2002, 2:42:42 PM3/24/02
A lawyer I met who specialized in Soc. Sec.
disability denial appeals said it is a
"game"; he said Soc. Sec. turns down 80% of
initial applications, hoping people will go
away instead of appealing. The appeals are
no slam dunk either, you have to use the
right buzz words to get approved.

I referred a friend to him when her
disability was denied even though she had a
massive stroke and was severely disabled on
one side and couldn't speak more than word or
two correctly, and needed to read from a cue
card to speak even just her name and phone
number for an emergency call.

Her husband had a job and her kids moved in
to do all the cooking and cleaning and help
her eat and bathe, etc. I wondered what
people do who don't have a wage earner or
adult children with full time free to help.

> >>A good attorney may help you in qualifying for
> >>SSDI if you are disabled and unable to work. And if you are
> >>turned down, an attorney may help you fight an appeal. It
> >>can take up to six months...
> >
> > Mine took ... two and a half years. It's a good thing I was
> >married and my husband was working
>
> I work in a volunteer job where I hear from many who have
> had to appeal, reapply, reappeal, and so forth, but finally
> do get accepted. But what an ordeal. Often these folks
> have no source of income in the meantime.

jun...@fakeemail.com

Mar 24, 2002, 4:33:47 PM3/24/02
Pat Meadows wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:42:42 GMT, Quasinerd
> <Quas...@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> >Her husband had a job and her kids moved in
> >to do all the cooking and cleaning and help
> >her eat and bathe, etc. I wondered what
> >people do who don't have a wage earner or
> >adult children with full time free to help.
> >

> I don't know either: welfare, I suppose.
>
> Pat

In my state, only single parents with minor kids can get welfare. It's
not given to adults who are not supporting kids. That leaves a nursing
home or the street.

Lang Siu

Mar 25, 2002, 7:08:36 PM3/25/02

You're 2 years shy for applying Medicair - medical insurance paid
by Federal and State, but you still can go city/county hospital to have
free treatment or with minimum pay (i.e. $10).
Try any hospital near you, ther must be some treatment program for
low income-ers as long as you can prove that you have low income .

Lang

JonquilJan

Mar 26, 2002, 11:42:53 AM3/26/02
I think thw only reason my Disability came through in 6 months was that I
wasn't supposed to even live that long.

JonquilJan

JonquilJan

Mar 26, 2002, 11:47:21 AM3/26/02

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 19:42:42 GMT, Quasinerd
> <Quas...@netscape.net> wrote:
>

> >Her husband had a job and her kids moved in
> >to do all the cooking and cleaning and help
> >her eat and bathe, etc. I wondered what
> >people do who don't have a wage earner or
> >adult children with full time free to help.
> >

> I don't know either: welfare, I suppose.
>
> Pat

I was on welfare for the 6 months it took for my disability to come through.
But the Disability payment was retroactive. Had to pay Welfare back every
penny I had received. But that Welfare payment kept me afloat for those 6
months.

Incidently, I was single, living with my widowed mother who was working. I
had a full time job before the illness (cancer) but three months in the
hospital, 2 surgeries, radiation, chemo, etc used up all the medical
insurance I had plus all the savings.

gggg...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2020, 7:30:20 PM2/9/20

ItsJoan NotJoann

Feb 9, 2020, 9:48:29 PM2/9/20
On Sunday, February 9, 2020 at 6:30:20 PM UTC-6, gggg...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, March 22, 2002 at 12:02:20 PM UTC-8, Walter wrote:
> > Hello all,

*SNIP*

> > Walter Donavan
> > Please reply to newsgroup
>
> https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/09/trump-border-wall-cash-billions-112860

Somebody must be off their medications or is blind as a bat. This is the
second ancient (read: March 22, 2002) post you've dug and seen fit to reply
to.

I don't think Walter is still hanging around and wondering why it's taken
you just shy of eighteen (18) years to reply to him.

gggg...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2020, 8:40:00 AM7/1/20
On Friday, March 22, 2002 at 12:02:20 PM UTC-8, Walter wrote:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/01/oklahoma-expand-medicaid-pandemic-346681

Beaver...@live.com

Jul 6, 2020, 11:07:18 PM7/6/20
A lot of the people posting in this thread are dead.