Telemarketing

1 view

KenK

Nov 12, 2009, 7:48:58 AM11/12/09
I've read there is a tone you can add to the beginning of your answering
machine message that indicates an unavailable connection to the
telemarketing dialing computers. How does one get this tone and add it to
the message? Anyone know?

TIA

Susan Bugher

Nov 12, 2009, 10:17:11 AM11/12/09
KenK wrote:

> I've read there is a tone you can add to the beginning of your answering
> machine message that indicates an unavailable connection to the
> telemarketing dialing computers. How does one get this tone and add it to
> the message? Anyone know?

See:
http://www.davehitt.com/jan02/tmmmda.html
<q>
Disconnected numbers always reply with a SIT tone, a bo-do-weep series
of notes, followed by a recording explaining the number is not available.

. . .

* Get your answering machine and set it in front of your PC speakers.
* Press whatever button starts recording your outgoing message.
* Click here
* Pause about a second, and then finish recording your outgoing
message.

That's it. Telemarketing machines that hear those tones will stop
calling, and within a couple of weeks you should get far fewer calls.
(Note: if you right click on the above link, you can save the .wav file
to your hard drive and play it from there. That will give you more
control over the timing.)
</q>

or. . .

If you have caller ID this program might work for you (I haven't tried it)
Program: Telemarketing Blocker
Company: KenGolf Group
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.kengolf.com/en/caller-id-software.htm

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

The Real Bev

Nov 12, 2009, 11:43:35 PM11/12/09
Susan Bugher wrote:

> KenK wrote:
>
>> I've read there is a tone you can add to the beginning of your answering
>> machine message that indicates an unavailable connection to the
>> telemarketing dialing computers. How does one get this tone and add it to
>> the message? Anyone know?
>
> See:
> http://www.davehitt.com/jan02/tmmmda.html
> <q>
> Disconnected numbers always reply with a SIT tone, a bo-do-weep series
> of notes, followed by a recording explaining the number is not available.
>

> * Get your answering machine and set it in front of your PC speakers.
> * Press whatever button starts recording your outgoing message.
> * Click here
> * Pause about a second, and then finish recording your outgoing
> message.
>
> That's it. Telemarketing machines that hear those tones will stop
> calling, and within a couple of weeks you should get far fewer calls.

I tried this before they started the no-call list. No joy. Mostly I get calls
now from home-improvement people, but some idiot from The Four Corners (I
assume the Indian reservation) calls at least once a week. I've yelled at the
stupid cows, but the calls keep coming. Last time I just laid the phone down
until they hung up. That was two weeks ago. Maybe I'm on to something.

> (Note: if you right click on the above link, you can save the .wav file
> to your hard drive and play it from there. That will give you more
> control over the timing.)
> </q>
>
> or. . .
>
> If you have caller ID this program might work for you (I haven't tried it)
> Program: Telemarketing Blocker
> Company: KenGolf Group
> Ware: (Freeware)
> http://www.kengolf.com/en/caller-id-software.htm

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Bob F

Nov 13, 2009, 3:10:43 AM11/13/09
KenK wrote:
> I've read there is a tone you can add to the beginning of your
> answering machine message that indicates an unavailable connection to
> the telemarketing dialing computers. How does one get this tone and
> add it to the message? Anyone know?

Google "sit.wav". Download the file, play it on the computer as you start your
machine message, then say what you will.

I did it before the do-not-call list thing, and it made a huge difference after
a few months.

Message has been deleted