why would 1 room in our house always be hottor or colder than rest?

Ohioguy

Sep 27, 2010, 9:36:17 PM9/27/10
We moved into a 1979 house back in March. Since then, I've noticed
that our daughter's room always seems to be hotter than the rest in the
summer, and cooler than the rest in Fall/Winter.

Anyone have any suggestions for what might cause this? I thought it
might be an issue with the ducts, until I realized this was also the
case when we didn't even have the AC or furnace on.

The strange thing is, this room seems to have more extreme temps than
our son's bedroom - which is on the corner, and thus has about 70% more
exterior wall. It kind of defies logic, at least at first glance.

Bob F

Sep 27, 2010, 10:42:05 PM9/27/10

The ducts feeding that room are not feeding enough air to it. Check for duct
controls that are not open, or partially close vents in the warmer (winter)
rooms. You could check the ducts for that room for obstructions (toys).

Susan Bugher

Sep 28, 2010, 10:50:35 AM9/28/10
Ohioguy wrote:

A difference in insulation in the ceiling (or walls) may be the cause
(been there, had that problem).

Susan

Rod Speed

Sep 28, 2010, 3:11:34 PM9/28/10
Ohioguy wrote:

> We moved into a 1979 house back in March. Since then, I've noticed
> that our daughter's room always seems to be hotter than the rest in
> the summer, and cooler than the rest in Fall/Winter.

Have you actually checked that with a decent thermometer ?

There are some things that make a room appear to be hotter
or cooler when in fact it isnt actually hotter or cooler at all.

> Anyone have any suggestions for what might cause this? I thought it
> might be an issue with the ducts, until I realized this was also the
> case when we didn't even have the AC or furnace on.

One obvious possibility is that it may not be as well insulated as
the other rooms you are comparing it with. That may not necessarily
be deliberate insulation, just the wall construction or exposure etc.

> The strange thing is, this room seems to have more extreme temps
> than our son's bedroom - which is on the corner, and thus has about
> 70% more exterior wall. It kind of defies logic, at least at first glance.

You can get that effect if the walls of his room are better insulated etc.

Message has been deleted

john hamilton

Sep 29, 2010, 7:33:26 AM9/29/10

"Gordon" <go...@alltomyself.com> wrote in message
> Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:sEboo.17378$X06....@newsfe10.iad:

ghosts can cause a room to feel inexplicably cold.

Jeff Thies

Sep 29, 2010, 9:34:56 AM9/29/10
That's what I thought, and in the summer the demons move in.

Jeff

Ohioguy

Sep 29, 2010, 8:13:44 PM9/29/10
> From personal experience I can tell you that insilation makes a big
> difference. I had a room like you describe. When I went into the
> attic I found gaps in the insilation and one entire rafter bay
> was uninsulated. 2 rolls of fiberglass made a huge difference.

Thanks, guys. Looks like I need to make this a more quantitative
comparison by using a thermometer, and taking readings between the rooms
at different times of days.

Now that the temps are a bit lower, I'll also go up into the attic
and take a look there. If I do it with someone tapping with a broom in
that room, I should be able to get a better idea of exactly where I am.

I may also try taking temps of the exterior walls. Not sure exactly
the best way to do that, but perhaps take my son's slightly insulated
lunchbox, put the open side against the wall, and thermometer in there?
I'm guessing that if 1 room is less insulated than the other, then
that room would have a lower temp faster than on a cool day.

I may end up needing to blow some of that cellulose insulation into
the wall for that room. The only other alternative I can think of would
be to totally rip out the drywall, put in new roll insulation, and then
new drywall. That would be a shame, since it was all just spackled and
painted.

Bob F

Sep 29, 2010, 9:50:05 PM9/29/10
Ohioguy wrote:
> I may also try taking temps of the exterior walls. Not sure exactly
> the best way to do that, but perhaps take my son's slightly insulated
> lunchbox, put the open side against the wall, and thermometer in
> there? I'm guessing that if 1 room is less insulated than the other,
> then that room would have a lower temp faster than on a cool day.

Harbor freight frequently has a thermometer on sale goy $10 that you just point
at something and push the button.

Rod Speed

Sep 30, 2010, 2:32:04 PM9/30/10
Ohioguy wrote:

>> From personal experience I can tell you that insilation makes a big difference. I had a room like you describe. When
>> I went into the attic I found gaps in the insilation and one entire rafter bay
>> was uninsulated. 2 rolls of fiberglass made a huge difference.

> Thanks, guys. Looks like I need to make this a more quantitative
> comparison by using a thermometer, and taking readings between the rooms at different times of days.

> Now that the temps are a bit lower, I'll also go up into the attic and take a look there. If I do it with someone
> tapping with a broom in that room, I should be able to get a better idea of exactly where I am.

You likely dont need to do that, just check that the insulation is there for
all the rooms, not obvious areas where its missing or has been removed.

> I may also try taking temps of the exterior walls. Not sure exactly the best way to do that,

The best way is with an infrared thermometer but they arent cheap.

You may be able to hire one from a tools rental operation place.

> but perhaps take my son's slightly insulated lunchbox, put the open side against the wall, and thermometer in there?

That wont work if one wall has the sun shining on it and the other
doesnt, that will make a lot more difference than anything else.

The sort of contact thermometer used for human temperatures might work.

> I'm guessing that if 1 room is less insulated than the other, then that room would have a lower temp faster than on a
> cool day.

Yes, particularly at night when you dont get the complication of what the sun is on etc.

> I may end up needing to blow some of that cellulose insulation into
> the wall for that room. The only other alternative I can think of
> would be to totally rip out the drywall, put in new roll insulation,
> and then new drywall. That would be a shame, since it was all just
> spackled and painted.

Yeah, but it may not be viable to blow it in because the timber horizontal
pieces in the framing may well stop you blowing insulation in very well.

Message has been deleted

Lou

Sep 30, 2010, 8:17:40 PM9/30/10

"Ohioguy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Some possibilities
1. There's less (or no) insulation in the walls or ceiling for this room
than there is for the rest of the house.
2. The house sits at just the right angle so that the exterior wall gets
the sun in the summer but not in the winter. My office at work is like
that.
3. She leaves the window open
4. The window(s) don't seal as well as those in the rest of the house.

Message has been deleted