What to do when laptop keys stop working?

OhioGuy

Jan 25, 2009, 10:07:47 PM1/25/09
We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming
harder and harder to get them to register anything. It is really
becoming a distraction. Eventually, I feel the keys will stop working
entirely.

I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of issue,
and what options there are to fix the problem? For instance, does
anyone sell replacement keyboards for them?

I'm hoping that this isn't some sort of issue where I have to decide
between spending $250 to repair the laptop or buying a new one.

Thanks!

Rod Speed

Jan 25, 2009, 10:37:27 PM1/25/09
Fix them or if that isnt feasible, replace the keyboard.

OhioGuy wrote:

> We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming
> harder and harder to get them to register anything. It is really becoming a distraction. Eventually, I feel the keys
> will stop working entirely.

Some you can pop the keycap on and clean whats underneath, some you cant.

Dunno about Dell keyboards specifically. Dell should be able to tell you if you call them.

> I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of
> issue, and what options there are to fix the problem? For instance, does anyone sell replacement keyboards for them?

Yes, Dell does and there are some on ebay too for all the common laptops.

> I'm hoping that this isn't some sort of issue where I have to decide
> between spending $250 to repair the laptop or buying a new one.

A replacement keyboard shouldnt cost that.

Dave

Jan 25, 2009, 11:43:45 PM1/25/09

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message

That would be an easy choice. You can get a brand new laptop for about $300
delivered now. It's likely better in every way than the Dell you are
writing about, too.

As for the laptop in question, was anything spilled in it, like coffee or
similar? -Dave

Gary Heston

Jan 25, 2009, 11:51:28 PM1/25/09
In article <glj9f9$2lni$1...@news.ett.com.ua>, OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:
> We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming
>harder and harder to get them to register anything. It is really
>becoming a distraction. Eventually, I feel the keys will stop working
>entirely.

> I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of issue,
>and what options there are to fix the problem? For instance, does
>anyone sell replacement keyboards for them?

[ ... ]

You'd have to get a replacement keyboard from Dell. They'd want to have
a technician swap it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody

Tony Sivori

Jan 26, 2009, 12:02:09 AM1/26/09

When you have nothing to lose, that is, after it quits working entirely,
you can try taking it apart. You may be able to correct whatever
combination of gunk and wear that is preventing the keys from making
contact.

Of course, that would only apply if it is by today's standards a lower
spec laptop that could be replaced with a new one for about the same cost
as professional repair.

--
Tony Sivori

The Real Bev

Jan 26, 2009, 12:48:47 AM1/26/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> Fix them or if that isnt feasible, replace the keyboard.
>
> OhioGuy wrote:
>
>> We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming harder
>> and harder to get them to register anything. It is really becoming a
>> distraction. Eventually, I feel the keys will stop working entirely.
>
> Some you can pop the keycap on and clean whats underneath, some you cant.

My IBM Model M will be 21 in a month. I took the caps off, cleaned them, and
removed 21 years of cruft from underneath. Yeah, I realize I could have got
that out by removing the top and vacuuming, but it was kind of satisfying doing
it by hand. Besides, cablemodem service was down for half the weekend.

Laptop/notebook keyboards are hellspawn, as are touchpads. Fortunately I
discovered how to disable the touchpad on the Acer.

> Dunno about Dell keyboards specifically. Dell should be able to tell you if
> you call them.
>
>> I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of issue, and
>> what options there are to fix the problem? For instance, does anyone sell
>> replacement keyboards for them?
>
> Yes, Dell does and there are some on ebay too for all the common laptops.
>
>> I'm hoping that this isn't some sort of issue where I have to decide
>> between spending $250 to repair the laptop or buying a new one.

I've heard that laptops are the only thing you should ever buy an extended
warranty on because they ALL destroy some part of themselves that costs more
than the warranty within the extended warranty period.

> A replacement keyboard shouldnt cost that.

Those flexible roll-up keyboards are intriguing and seem like they'd be really
easy to stuff into the notebook bag. Anybody used one? I've only seen pictures.

--
Cheers, Bev
Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all

Rod Speed

Jan 26, 2009, 1:43:30 AM1/26/09
The Real Bev wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>> Fix them or if that isnt feasible, replace the keyboard.

>> OhioGuy wrote:

>>> We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming
>>> harder and harder to get them to register anything. It is really becoming a distraction. Eventually, I feel the
>>> keys will stop working entirely.

>> Some you can pop the keycap on and clean whats underneath, some you cant.

> My IBM Model M will be 21 in a month. I took the caps off, cleaned
> them, and removed 21 years of cruft from underneath. Yeah, I realize
> I could have got that out by removing the top and vacuuming, but it
> was kind of satisfying doing it by hand. Besides, cablemodem service
> was down for half the weekend.

> Laptop/notebook keyboards are hellspawn, as are touchpads. Fortunately I discovered how to disable the touchpad on the
> Acer.

I like touchpads myself and dont bother with a mouse.

>> Dunno about Dell keyboards specifically. Dell should be able to tell you if you call them.

>>> I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of issue, and what options there are to fix the problem?
>>> For
>>> instance, does anyone sell replacement keyboards for them?

>> Yes, Dell does and there are some on ebay too for all the common laptops.

>>> I'm hoping that this isn't some sort of issue where I have to decide
>>> between spending $250 to repair the laptop or buying a new one.

> I've heard that laptops are the only thing you should ever buy an
> extended warranty on because they ALL destroy some part of themselves
> that costs more than the warranty within the extended warranty period.

I've seen plenty that didnt, including every single one of my own.

>> A replacement keyboard shouldnt cost that.

> Those flexible roll-up keyboards are intriguing and seem like they'd
> be really easy to stuff into the notebook bag. Anybody used one? I've only seen pictures.

Nar, I've never tried one either.

meow...@care2.com

Jan 26, 2009, 7:07:16 AM1/26/09

Laptop keyboards are replaceable. Its also an option to plug a desktop
style external keyboard in.

NT

Lou

Jan 26, 2009, 8:41:09 AM1/26/09

"The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Those flexible roll-up keyboards are intriguing and seem like they'd be
> really
> easy to stuff into the notebook bag. Anybody used one? I've only seen
> pictures.

Those projected ones look even cooler - and I've never seen one of them
either, just pictures. Would also like to know if anyone's every used one.

The Real Bev

Jan 26, 2009, 3:19:56 PM1/26/09
Lou wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Those flexible roll-up keyboards are intriguing and seem like they'd be
>> really easy to stuff into the notebook bag. Anybody used one? I've only
>> seen pictures.
>
> Those projected ones look even cooler - and I've never seen one of them
> either, just pictures. Would also like to know if anyone's every used one.

I'd guess that touch typists wouldn't find them too valuable. I've seen a demo
at the local Best Buy but I haven't been tempted to try it. Probably should. I
looked all over for a flexible keyboard, but couldn't find one.

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

Marsha

Jan 26, 2009, 8:03:41 PM1/26/09

One thing you should never do, as a preventative measure, is eat while
you're using the keyboard. Crumbs always mysteriously end up underneath
the keys.

Marsha/Ohio

The Real Bev

Jan 26, 2009, 8:14:49 PM1/26/09
Marsha wrote:

> OhioGuy wrote:
>> We have a Dell laptop that has several of the keys slowly becoming
>> harder and harder to get them to register anything. It is really
>> becoming a distraction. Eventually, I feel the keys will stop working
>> entirely.

You need to call the helpdroid and keep asking until you find someone who can
answer. It's scary using brute force when you're not sure you're supposed to.

>> I was wondering if anyone ese had ever dealt with this sort of issue,
>> and what options there are to fix the problem? For instance, does
>> anyone sell replacement keyboards for them?
>>
>> I'm hoping that this isn't some sort of issue where I have to decide
>> between spending $250 to repair the laptop or buying a new one.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> One thing you should never do, as a preventative measure, is eat while
> you're using the keyboard. Crumbs always mysteriously end up underneath
> the keys.

Fortunately it's harmless with the Model M. The springs are mounted in a
silo-like tube that the keytop fits over, kind of like the top of a mushroom
with the stem stuck on a pencil, so the crud just falls to the platform in which
all the little silos are molded. I was careful to cover up the top of the silo
with a fingertip when I blew the final bits of crud out. I suspect that I could
even spill liquid into it with no harm done. No, I'm not going to try.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jay

Jan 26, 2009, 8:57:19 PM1/26/09
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in

> I'd guess that touch typists wouldn't find them too valuable.
> I've seen a demo at the local Best Buy but I haven't been
> tempted to try it. Probably should. I looked all over for a
> flexible keyboard, but couldn't find one.

Do you have 'Staples' in your area? If so, a few months ago, they
did have flex keyboards. At that time they were on sale. $9.99
IIRC

The Real Bev

Jan 26, 2009, 9:13:23 PM1/26/09
Jay wrote:

These people have several. I bought my SDHC card from them and am happy.
Delivery took about a week.
<http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=flexible+keyboard&_sacat=See-All-Categories>

--
Cheers,
Bev

Nicik Name

Jan 27, 2009, 1:19:41 AM1/27/09

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message
WD40

SMS

Jan 27, 2009, 10:14:40 AM1/27/09

I've replaced the keyboard in my Compaq laptop. Very simple to replace.

Chris Hill

Jan 27, 2009, 10:17:05 AM1/27/09

Just use an external keyboard. One day keys on the aging laptop
keyboard will likely start firing of their own accord, then it is time
to either repair it, or more likely replace it.

SMS

Jan 27, 2009, 10:19:02 AM1/27/09

You can look here: "http://www.laptoppartsworld.com/components/" among
many places. You need to find how hard it is to replace the keyboard on
your model. Generally you can replace the keyboard from the top, with no
disassembly of the whole laptop required.

Seerialmom

Jan 27, 2009, 2:52:16 PM1/27/09

I'd connect an external keyboard before spending big bucks on
repairing. Unfortunately you can't just go to Fry's or Compusa (is
that still open?) to buy replacement keyboard membranes/sensors for
laptops. But you can buy a relatively light weight roll up keyboard
for about $20.

Seerialmom

Jan 27, 2009, 2:55:42 PM1/27/09

IBM had laptops 21 years ago???? Was it about 50 pounds?

The Real Bev

Jan 27, 2009, 9:47:28 PM1/27/09
Seerialmom wrote:

> IBM had laptops 21 years ago???? Was it about 50 pounds?

You could get an Otrona then -- under 20 pounds, 2 floppy drives, 5" screen,
cute as hell. Way overpriced JPL status symbol, and when management stopped
buying them the company folded.

IBM didn't make laptops then, just desktops with the world's finest keyboard,
which is why mine is worth preserving. Using one with a laptop gives you the
best of both worlds.

--
Cheers,
Bev

OhioGuy

Jan 27, 2009, 11:40:09 PM1/27/09
> As for the laptop in question, was anything spilled in it, like coffee or
> similar? -Dave

No, nothing, it was just used daily.

Someone suggested I pry up one side of the key and try cleaning it.
I had no idea the edges of the keys on the keyboard could tilt up like
that, so I just blew hard under the key. Guess what? Now the key works
just fine.

Looks like I'll have an extra keyboard for $22 shipped, to use when
and if this one finally does give up.

Tomes

Jan 28, 2009, 9:10:50 PM1/28/09
"The Real Bev" ...

> Those flexible roll-up keyboards are intriguing and seem like they'd be
> really
> easy to stuff into the notebook bag. Anybody used one? I've only seen
> pictures.

I have tried a couple and heard about others. They pretty much are useless
and maddening. The problem is that unless you press down exactly straight
down they do not register the stroke. Maddening.
Tomes

Tomes

Jan 28, 2009, 9:14:38 PM1/28/09
"OhioGuy" ...
You might get a cheap keyboard that either plugs into the USB port or is
wireless [not as cheap]. Maybe use one from an old computer.
Tomes