Balck and Decker Power Monitor frugal?

m...@privacy.net

Dec 19, 2008, 9:12:21 PM12/19/08
Would this device be frugal?

It allows one to monitor power use in real time

http://www.blackanddecker.com/Energy/products.aspx?WT.mc_id=BD00039

Jeff

Dec 19, 2008, 11:04:34 PM12/19/08

Well, it is $100. Nice toy though.

With that said, I often read my meter to check on overall daily useage.

I have a infrared thermometer to look for heat leaks. Now, that's a
neat tool you can get for under $50.

Also, the kill a watt devices are ~$25.00 and would give you much
better stats on single appliances.

Jeff

Bill

Dec 20, 2008, 11:14:10 AM12/20/08
Well this would indicate you are using too much electricity and then you
would need to do something to cut back electric use or not do something to
cut back on electric use.

You would not cut back on things you must have, like the refrigerator needs
to keep running, but you might turn off lights more and take fewer showers
if you have an electric water heater. Maybe use the microwave more. Install
CFL's. Insulate the house better and seal air leaks.

But you should be doing these things anyway if you feel your electric bill
is too high.

However this device will teach you how to save electricity and give you
instant feedback on your savings, so I guess it would be an excellent
training aid.

m...@privacy.net

Dec 20, 2008, 3:13:34 PM12/20/08
"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>However this device will teach you how to save electricity and give you
>instant feedback on your savings, so I guess it would be an excellent
>training aid.

Yeah I'm just wondering if anyone out there has tried
one

And if its worth the $100!

Coffee's For Closers

Dec 21, 2008, 12:41:09 AM12/21/08
In article <cekqk49as1pn5dif3...@4ax.com>,
m...@privacy.net says...

Are you referring to the whole-house meter thing?

If I were to concerned with micro-managing, I would buy something
like a "Kill-A-Watt" device:

http://www.p3international.com/products/special/P4400/P4400-
CE.html

(Beware the line break in the URL.)

This place is selling them for US$15:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001&n
m_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Electronic+Gadgets-_-
P3+International-_-82715001

(Beware the line break in the URL.)

It measures one item at a time, so you can see the exact amount
used by your computer, or your television, or any individual item
that plugs into a wall outlet.

This can help you to figure out how much it costs to do a load of
laundry. Or the operating cost of an old refrigerator or CRT
monitor, to estimate the financial payback of buying a newer,
more efficient one.

A hot water cylinder is a major power-hog, but may be difficult
to measure. Mine doesn't have any place to insert a Kill-A-Watt
type meter for measurement over time. I think a clamp-on multi
meter can be used to see the consumption, although I could also
just turn everything else off, and see how fast the main meter
feeding my apartment runs. But that still doesn't tell how many
hours the water cylinder runs on an average day. OTOH, that
Black And Decker unit wouldn't work for that, either.

Anyway, as mentioned by another poster, these devices only give
you numbers. The savings come from physically doing other things
to actually reduce your usage.

Personally, I don't feel any great urge to buy any of these
devices. I have already made conservation efforts, with
weatherstripping, CFL bulbs, warm clothes, etc. My fridge (owned
by me) is relatively new, as is my water cylinder (in a rented
flat.)

I do still use a CRT monitor, but I got it for free, and have two
spares (also for free.) And I suppose I tend towards enjoying
power-gulping hot showers.

But I still qualify for my provider's "Low User" plan. Which is
another thing to look for. This is a way of balancing the flat
daily connection fee versus the per-KWH usage fee. So, if my
consumption is below a certain KWH per month threshold, this
billing plan costs less compared to the regular plan.
Availability depends on your location and provider.

Also, Kill-A-Watt type device would be more cost and hassle,
since I am on 240-volt, 50-hz. And, for some strange reason,
there is limited availability of that version.

--
Earn Money With Your Web Site
http://www.WebSponsorZone.Net

Tim Jackson

Dec 21, 2008, 6:27:08 AM12/21/08
Coffee's For Closers wrote:
> In article <cekqk49as1pn5dif3...@4ax.com>,
> m...@privacy.net says...

> A hot water cylinder is a major power-hog, but may be difficult

> to measure. Mine doesn't have any place to insert a Kill-A-Watt
> type meter for measurement over time. I think a clamp-on multi
> meter can be used to see the consumption, although I could also
> just turn everything else off, and see how fast the main meter
> feeding my apartment runs. But that still doesn't tell how many
> hours the water cylinder runs on an average day. OTOH, that
> Black And Decker unit wouldn't work for that, either.
>
> Anyway, as mentioned by another poster, these devices only give
> you numbers. The savings come from physically doing other things
> to actually reduce your usage.

It's easier and cheaper to measure such things with an hour meter than a
power meter. The power consumption of (e.g.) a water heater when
switched on is pretty constant, it is usually written on a rating plate,
and you can check it any time with a multimeter. The big variable is
the on-time, and you can record this by simply connecting a time
recorder across the element terminals. LCD hour recorders cost about
£10 here in the UK, and only require wiring to existing terminals on the
heater or thermostat.

The same technique can also be applied to non-electrical devices such as
central heating burners, by connecting to the thermostat or control valve.

Tim Jackson

Message has been deleted

harry

Dec 21, 2008, 4:09:58 PM12/21/08
On Dec 21, 11:27 am, Tim Jackson <t...@tim-jackson.co.uk> wrote:
> Coffee's For Closers wrote:
> > In article <cekqk49as1pn5dif3gr1gsikhukqg9q...@4ax.com>,

Or indeed you could use a mains powered electric clock. Set to 12 o'
clock & you can count up to twelve hours for nothing. (Assuming you
have one to hand :-)