Verizon/Yahoo dropping stock quote API

root

Nov 2, 2017, 6:55:18 PM11/2/17
For decades finance.yahoo.com has provided (time delayed) stock
quotes for tracking your portfolio.

Yesterday this service was dropped, they say because some users
were violating the terms of service.

For now you can scrape the information you need from repeated
calls to:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TEVA/

using TEVA as an example portfolio component.

I'm not aware of alternative (free) sources for such data and
would welcome any suggestions.

BTW: one contributor to a forum on the subject at yahoo suggested
the term of service that was being violated was that users
were not viewing the ads.

jrg

Nov 2, 2017, 9:42:58 PM11/2/17
On 11/02/2017 03:55 PM, root wrote:
> For decades finance.yahoo.com has provided (time delayed) stock
> quotes for tracking your portfolio.

what do you mean here - a data feed for your spreadsheet or just setting
up a watch list?
When you say "quote" do you mean market and size info or just the last tick?

> Yesterday this service was dropped, they say because some users
> were violating the terms of service.
>
> For now you can scrape the information you need from repeated
> calls to:
>
> https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TEVA/
>
> using TEVA as an example portfolio component.

timely choice...

what do you mean by "calls to:"?

> I'm not aware of alternative (free) sources for such data and
> would welcome any suggestions.

There is no free lunch in this business. NASDAQ has a good site wherein
you can access a lot of info for free but even that has a limit on free.
You can get real time info
http://www.nasdaq.com

> BTW: one contributor to a forum on the subject at yahoo suggested
> the term of service that was being violated was that users
> were not viewing the ads.

yahoo has one of the worst sites - you are plastered with ads and
unwanted vids. I get it - they need to make a living but there are a
ton of sites out there that can probably fill your needs.

root

Nov 3, 2017, 11:15:28 AM11/3/17
jrg <conn...@cox.net> wrote:
> On 11/02/2017 03:55 PM, root wrote:
>> For decades finance.yahoo.com has provided (time delayed) stock
>> quotes for tracking your portfolio.
>
> what do you mean here - a data feed for your spreadsheet or just setting
> up a watch list?
> When you say "quote" do you mean market and size info or just the last tick?

This site describes what was offered by yahoo:

http://www.jarloo.com/yahoo_finance/

>> https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TEVA/
>>
>> using TEVA as an example portfolio component.
>

> what do you mean by "calls to:"?

You have to access separate pages for every stock in your portfolio.
Formerly one could string the entire portfolio as:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/teva+mrk+pfe+....

> There is no free lunch in this business. NASDAQ has a good site wherein
> you can access a lot of info for free but even that has a limit on free.
> You can get real time info
> http://www.nasdaq.com

I looked at nasdaq some time ago. As I remember the quote site used
color to represent positive/negative change. That color didn't survive
scraping the page.