Funny video on condoms

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 19, 2016, 4:17:02 PM4/19/16

It's satire, of course - but how many young men won't realize that?

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/01/watch-some-bros-debate-going-off-birth-control.html

But...I have to wonder if there ARE some - many? - drugstores left where you have to ask for the condoms before buying them. In the Bible Belt, maybe?

Lenona.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Apr 19, 2016, 4:29:20 PM4/19/16
You need to do a bit of travelling. I live in the "Bible
Belt" and condoms are right there on the shelves just like
sanitary pads, tampons, and K-Y jelly. No whispering to
the clerk what you need, grab what you need and head to the
cash register.

Shocking how *modern* we are down here.

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2016, 2:56:22 PM4/20/16
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 4:29:20 PM UTC-4, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

> You need to do a bit of travelling. I live in the "Bible
> Belt" and condoms are right there on the shelves just like
> sanitary pads, tampons, and K-Y jelly. No whispering to
> the clerk what you need, grab what you need and head to the
> cash register.
>
> Shocking how *modern* we are down here.

I only said "maybe." Obviously I can't check out every single drugstore.

Besides, it's no secret - or at least it wasn't in 2006 - that it CAN be pretty difficult for adults(!) to get their hands on birth control pills, especially if they don't live in a big city.

Want proof of that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/magazine/07contraception.html?oref=login&_r=0

(This was a cover story for the New York Times Magazine, by historian Russell Shorto.)

And it wouldn't surprise me if people had trouble buying condoms in, say, Utah.

Lenona.

Michael Black

Apr 21, 2016, 12:51:21 PM4/21/16
I thought some of the issue was that kids were too embarrassed, so they'd
be stealing the condoms rather than buy them, so the move to behind the
counter.

But I have no idea, I'm too young so they've always been right there on
display at the drugstores here. I don't know what it was like before the
seventies, for a long time the Catholic church was very much in control of
things here. After there was a fire in the twenties at a movie theatre, a
lot of kids killed by the stampeding, the church used that as an excuse to
keep children from seeing movies, I think you had to be over 12, and that
only disappeared sometime in the sixties.

Michael

Camellia Sinensis

Apr 24, 2016, 12:47:34 PM4/24/16
Where did you get that dumb idea? The LDS Church (based in Utah) has never
been against birth control. That is strictly up to the couple. The Church
teaches that one of the most important factors in determining family size is
the physical and mental health of the mother.

ItsJoan NotJoann

Apr 24, 2016, 6:04:55 PM4/24/16
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 11:47:34 AM UTC-5, Camellia Sinensis wrote:

> >And it wouldn't surprise me if people had trouble buying condoms in, say,
> >Utah.
>

> >Lenona.
>
> Where did you get that dumb idea? The LDS Church (based in Utah) has never
> been against birth control. That is strictly up to the couple. The Church
> teaches that one of the most important factors in determining family size is
> the physical and mental health of the mother.

+1

leno...@yahoo.com

Apr 25, 2016, 11:22:33 AM4/25/16
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 12:47:34 PM UTC-4, Camellia Sinensis wrote:

> >And it wouldn't surprise me if people had trouble buying condoms in, say,
> >Utah.
>

> >Lenona.
>
> Where did you get that dumb idea? The LDS Church (based in Utah) has never
> been against birth control. That is strictly up to the couple.

Including unmarried teen couples? Or unmarried adult couples in very small towns? Ha. Anyone who was born in the late 1950s and tried to buy condoms as a teen in the 1970s, almost ANYWHERE in the U.S., will tell you how humiliating the store clerks could be.

At any rate, I've never heard that the LDS Church is exactly friendly to those who want to marry and have lots of sex and have NO children whatsoever. I.e., the childfree, whom other churches describe as engaging in "moral rebellion."

From Albert Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY:

"this worldview [of intentional childlessness] is sick...Christians must recognize that this rebellion against parenthood represents nothing less than an absolute revolt against God's design."

"Couples are not given the option of chosen childlessness in the biblical revelation."

And here's an amusing response to that, with references to St. Paul's celibacy, plus the Mormon Church:

http://www.brucegourley.com/writings/inresponseto/almohlerchildlessness.htm

Finally, here's an interesting perspective from a Mormon woman (who did make more or less the same points you made - but note that the young women getting physical exams were apparently engaged to be married):

https://askmormongirl.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/ask-mormon-girl-how-do-mormons-feel-about-contraception/

Excerpt:

...Want more evidence that Mormons think contraception is A-OK? A 2004 article from the BYU student newspaper reported that at least 80% of the young women who go to the BYU Health Center for premarital gynecological exams request some form of birth control. Go Cougars!

Maybe it wasn't this way thirty years ago. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, there was a popular Mormon musical called Saturday's Warrior that put a negative spin on limiting family size (sing it with me now: "Zero Population is the an-swer, my friennnnnd!") and sent lots of good LDS couples home to bed to try for just one more "Saturday's Warrior" baby. These days, while you'll still find young LDS families with seven or more children--bless them!--a recent mantra I've heard in Mormon circles declares that "three is the new six."...

(snip)

There are 55 comments.

Lenona.

leno...@yahoo.com

May 1, 2016, 8:20:53 PM5/1/16
Forgot to say something: Married people, as a rule, are not the ones who buy condoms, for obvious reasons.* So if a community frowns greatly on unmarried people having sex, especially teens, it would seem likely that they would restrict condom access.

*In the same vein, a woman who chooses to risk the health hazards of the Pill is likely in a long-term relationship.

Lenona.

Bob F

May 1, 2016, 10:08:28 PM5/1/16
leno...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Forgot to say something: Married people, as a rule, are not the ones
> who buy condoms, for obvious reasons.* So if a community frowns
> greatly on unmarried people having sex, especially teens, it would
> seem likely that they would restrict condom access.

Especially if they want to promote abortion and the spread of disease.

leno...@yahoo.com

May 2, 2016, 8:26:51 PM5/2/16
Found a column on the cost of BC pills:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ask-amy-should-couples-split-the-check-for-birth-control/2016/04/28/6269875a-08d5-11e6-a12f-ea5aed7958dc_story.html

And here's a video I found in the comments: "If Buying Condoms Was Like Buying Birth Control":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IhgwCB14To

Lenona.