Selling artwork in a bad market

Macuser

Dec 12, 2008, 9:34:50 PM12/12/08
Can anybody give me tips on selling original artwork in a bad market? I
have a whole room full of work to deal with, and could use the tips. Most
recently, an antique painting that was accepted by the Doyle gallery in NYC
for auction sold for less than half the appraised price. The auction
happened to take place on the day the stock market fell 700 points, so this
probably affected the outcome. Just my luck.

And what have you got?

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

The Real Bev

Dec 13, 2008, 1:52:14 PM12/13/08
Macuser wrote:
> Can anybody give me tips on selling original artwork in a bad market?

Yard sale. Don't turn down any offers.

--
Cheers, Bev
==============================

Macuser

Dec 13, 2008, 6:13:55 PM12/13/08
Oy, not good! This is fine art and I won't put it outside with the castoff
knick-knacks.

I think I will contact several dealers about the stuff. Maybe the art market
will recover at bit in late 2009.

Strap yourselves down, kiddies. We're in for a rough ride.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."

"The Real Bev" <bashle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The Real Bev

Dec 13, 2008, 7:58:08 PM12/13/08
Macuser wrote:
> Oy, not good! This is fine art and I won't put it outside with the castoff
> knick-knacks.

People who say that end up at the end of the day with a lot of "fine
art" on their hands that not even the Salvation Army is interested in.

> I think I will contact several dealers about the stuff. Maybe the art market
> will recover at bit in late 2009.

Perhaps, but Id be willing to bet that yours won't be in the
upwardly-mobile group.

Why not test the waters with ebay?

NotMe

Dec 14, 2008, 2:37:08 PM12/14/08

"Macuser" <spamisa...@meat.com> wrote in message
: Can anybody give me tips on selling original artwork in a bad market? I
:
This is geared more to the commercial side but the principles apply
everywhere.

A heads up:

Check out www.no-spec.com for some of what you'll run into on CL and what
other creative folk are doing to address the abuse.

Check out www.gag.org their handbook ($35 at most bookstores) is a gold
mine. Especially the section on contracts.

Good luck and don't let anyone sell you short.

As to fine art: We sell only first sale right (we retain all copyrights).
done that for over 40 years.

Aside from a skill set you need a decent business plan and a commitment to
stick to it.