grill/smoker question

Ohioguy

Apr 6, 2011, 12:33:53 PM4/6/11
Anyone know of a gas grill that allows a side firebox to be attached
later, to add the capability of charcoal smoking?

My gas grill rusted out last fall. For a short time, I toyed with
the idea of buying a charcoal grill. However, I really want the ability
to cook something up fast if I get the notion. Also, there is no gas
service at this house - electric only - so a gas grill would allow me to
do a little of that. Besides, if I want to do charcoal grilling, there
are many parks near here where we can do that once in a while, using the
public grills.

I realized that what I'd really like is the ability to cook fast with
gas, but occasionally also the ability to slow cook and smoke meats all
day with charcoal.

I suppose I'll have to buy a gas grill for one, and a charcoal smoker
for the other. I've searched online for a while, and can't seem to
locate a gas grill that also allows attachment of a side charcoal smoker
box for smoking.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? Would I be better off getting
two separate stand alone items? Thanks!

Dennis

Apr 6, 2011, 3:24:21 PM4/6/11
On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 12:33:53 -0400, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:

> I realized that what I'd really like is the ability to cook fast with
>gas, but occasionally also the ability to slow cook and smoke meats all
>day with charcoal.
>
> I suppose I'll have to buy a gas grill for one, and a charcoal smoker
>for the other. I've searched online for a while, and can't seem to
>locate a gas grill that also allows attachment of a side charcoal smoker
>box for smoking.
>
> Anyone know if such a thing exists? Would I be better off getting
>two separate stand alone items? Thanks!

I've been very happy with my Traeger wood pellet grill. It cooks like
a convection oven with smoke. Fill the wood pellet hopper, hit the
switch and it's ready to cook in 10-12 minutes. Not great for things
that require high temps like seared fish, but your typical
burgers/steaks/spareribs/chicken come out nearly perfect.

I don't know how the quality is since Traeger moved its production to
China (my grill was made in Oregon), but there are several US-made
competitors in the market now.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Ohioguy

Apr 7, 2011, 9:25:34 AM4/7/11
> I don't know how the quality is since Traeger moved its production to
> China (my grill was made in Oregon), but there are several US-made
> competitors in the market now.

Can you point me to a few companies that make their grills in the USA?

Dennis

Apr 7, 2011, 4:13:33 PM4/7/11

Here's a couple -- google for more:
http://www.makgrills.com/
http://pelletgrilloutlet.com/memphis-wood-pellet-grills

I have no experience with these companies.

Oh, another big plus for wood pellet grills that I really like: you
can put your food on, close the lid and leave it. Flip the
steak/chop/chicken mid-way through. No flare ups, no burning, no
baby-sitting the grill.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin