cheap text printer

jeff

Oct 8, 2009, 8:50:44 PM10/8/09
Girlfriend is in need of a cheap printer for archiving office
documents. Won't need to worry about color quality. Won't need high
volume or speed. Availability and cost of black cartridges is an issue.
So is the cost of the printer and to some extent the size. The old
printer is getting retired because the ink is too hard to find.

Whose got a recommendation? There's a slew of brands out there. I've
been disappointed in Lexmark and pleased with HP (D7160) myself, but
everyone makes lemons.

Jeff

Gary Heston

Oct 8, 2009, 11:38:04 PM10/8/09

I have a Brother monochrome laser printer which is inexpensive ($250 from
Office Depot), and the toner cartridges are reasonable.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Oct 9, 2009, 1:15:37 AM10/9/09
In article
<ham1d8$ab8$1...@news.albasani.net>,
jeff <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:

Go to craigslist and post a listing in
wanted

or

Join freecycle and ask for one

Message has been deleted

Warren Block

Oct 9, 2009, 11:03:47 AM10/9/09

Avoid inkjets and buy a used laser printer:

http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/usedlasers.pdf

Gordon

Oct 10, 2009, 3:33:16 AM10/10/09
Shawn Hirn <sr...@comcast.net> wrote in news:srhi-5505E2.01200809102009@82-
136-209-74.ip.telfort.nl:

> In article <ham1d8$ab8$1...@news.albasani.net>, jeff <jeff_...@att.net>
> wrote:
>

> Why print documents to archive them? Convert them to PDF and then burn
> to CD or DVD.

Convert to PDF I agree with.
But not the burn to CD or DVD. Solid state storage is much
better. Burn them onto CF memory cards or an external solid
state drive. Much more stable and a better chance of it
being readable well into the future.

SMS

Oct 10, 2009, 10:17:42 AM10/10/09

I got a free HP Laserjet 5MP on Freecycle, which replaced my 25 year old
HP Laserjet III. There is no need to pay for a laser printer, people are
always giving them away. Worst case go on craigslist and pay $25-50. The
older HP laserjets are great, and toner cartridges are cheap.

SMS

Oct 10, 2009, 10:27:45 AM10/10/09
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> Go to craigslist and post a listing in
> wanted
>
> or
>
> Join freecycle and ask for one

I got my HP Laserjet on Freecycle. It replaced my Laserjet III that I
paid $1800 for back in the 1980's, which lasted 25 years. One thing I
found is that people are dumping old laser printers that lack an easy
way to be put onto a wireless network (or even a wired network),
especially ones that don't have a USB port (parallel only). I have a
D-Link wireless print server with two USB ports and one parallel port,
so my printers are all on the wireless network even though they don't
have wireless built in. My kids complain that they have to walk
downstairs to get their printouts, but it's good exercise for them, and
I no longer have to maintain printers in their rooms.

When I set up the printers on their computers I named them "Expensive
Color Printer" and "Cheap Laser Printer."

Michael Black

Oct 10, 2009, 11:04:18 AM10/10/09

I paid $15 for my HP 4P I guess six years ago. It replaced a TI laser
printer I'd bought at some other rummage sale for $25, but it was old and
as the toner ran out, I was unsure if the not so great printing was
because of too little toner or a bigger problem. It was cheaper to buy
another used printer than to fuss with the old. The HP has only 3000
pages on it, really pretty unused. I don't expect to have to replace it
soon, but even if I did, yes, it would be easy to find a similar printer
for a similarly small amount.

I'm seeing laser printers being tossed out now. Some of them must surely
be due to the toner having run out, since some of them are the newer type
of smaller and cheaper laser printers that can be had for $60 new. I
might have brought that Samsung laser printer home if I needed one, but
despite its small size, it was still bigger than I wanted to fuss with
when I had a perfectly good laser printer at home.

Michael