Is Dell Reliable?

1 view

T W

May 5, 2011, 12:01:44 AM5/5/11
Is Dell reliable and do they honor their warranties on computers and
monitors?

Michael Black

May 5, 2011, 12:33:30 AM5/5/11
On Thu, 5 May 2011, T W wrote:

> Is Dell reliable and do they honor their warranties on computers and
> monitors?

But that's two unrelated questions. If they are reliable, then who needs
to worry about warranty?

I've had this 1GHz Dell since December of 2003, and for much of that time,
it has been left on. It was a hand me down, so maybe it was about 2 years
old when I got it.

What's "reliable"? The hard drive was still running when I took it out to
put in a larger capacity drive. The original DVDrom (read only) drive did
fail, well never completely it just generated endless error messages. But
that was okay, I wanted a DVDRW drive anyway and did so in the spring of
2007. The video card started generated horizontal lines at some point
and while I thought it was the monitor, it was actually the card. So I
replaced it in June 2008 with a video card I'd taken out of some computer
I found on the sidewalk.

The RAM is still fine, even upgraded it, first adding 128megs via a DIMM I
found on some other computer lying on the sidewalk, and then later I
changed that to a 256meg DIMM (giving the maximum 512megs) from some other
computer left on the sidewalk.

I'd say it's been pretty reliable. I have opened it up a few times to
vacuum it out. I know nothing about warranty, since I would never pursue
that unless it was actually new to me.

Michael

John Weiss

May 5, 2011, 1:50:01 PM5/5/11
T W wrote:

> Is Dell reliable and do they honor their warranties on computers and
> monitors?

Dell (like Compaq) has been known to put proprietary parts into their
computers to prevent customers from buying aftermarket replacement and
upgrade parts. Don't know how they're doing on that aspect these
days...

Rod Speed

May 5, 2011, 2:26:07 PM5/5/11
T W wrote:

> Is Dell reliable

Not that great. I have seen more warranty repairs with Dell laptops than with other name brands.

> and do they honor their warranties on computers and monitors?

Yes.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

May 5, 2011, 2:50:14 PM5/5/11
In article <92g8e1...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> T W wrote:
>
> > Is Dell reliable
>
> Not that great. I have seen more warranty repairs with Dell laptops than with
> other name brands.

So you repair computers for a living?

Message has been deleted

T W

May 7, 2011, 1:05:21 PM5/7/11

That's good news.I was afraid that they try to give excuses.

Zilbandy

May 8, 2011, 1:07:07 AM5/8/11

On Sat, 7 May 2011 17:05:21 +0000, T W <tw...@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> wrote:

>>> Is Dell reliable
>>
>> Not that great. I have seen more warranty repairs with Dell laptops than with other name brands.
>>
>>> and do they honor their warranties on computers and monitors?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>That's good news.I was afraid that they try to give excuses.

Good luck trying to understand the techs as they read you the scripts
they are required to read as part of their service in their English as
a second or third language accents.

--
Zilbandy

The Real Bev

May 8, 2011, 5:07:43 PM5/8/11
On 05/07/11 22:07, Zilbandy wrote:

> Good luck trying to understand the techs as they read you the
> scripts they are required to read as part of their service in their
> English as a second or third language accents.

Indians generally speak English as a native language, they just talk a
LOT faster than we do. Just ask them to speak slower.

I just wish they'd all stop apologizing so much, it wastes time. I know
they're forced to do it, and it's better than being callously
indifferent to the sufferings of the caller, but still...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've learned that you can keep puking long

Rod Speed

May 8, 2011, 5:34:07 PM5/8/11
The Real Bev wrote
> Zilbandy wrote

>> Good luck trying to understand the techs as they read you the scripts they are required to read as part of their
>> service in their English as a second or third language accents.

> Indians generally speak English as a native language,

Pigs arse they do.

Mark Anderson

May 8, 2011, 10:14:49 PM5/8/11
In article sr...@comcast.net says...
> Me? I refuse to spend a dime of my money on anything other than Apple.

Steve Jobs thanks you for both supporting him financially and your kind
encouraging words in support of perceived quality. Perceived quality is
worth every penny you think you're getting.

Sudarshan Karkada

May 10, 2011, 4:10:13 PM5/10/11
Did I read someone praise Apple products on a frugal living newsgroup?

I have been using Dell computers at work for several years and never
experienced any problems. Never owned a Dell computer for home use,
but I have been using a Dell LCD monitor for the past 7 years and it
is still work great. The picture quality is better than the Viewsonic
LCD monitor I recently bought. (Full disclosure: Paid $600+ for the
21" Dell monitor 7 years ago and paid $160 for the 24" Viewsonic
monitor a few months ago.)

If the price (value) is right, I wouldn't hesitate buying a Dell
computer myself.

moronsbegone

May 12, 2011, 10:36:34 AM5/12/11
T W <tw...@SDF.LONESTAR.ORG> wrote in

> Is Dell reliable and do they honor their warranties on
> computers and monitors?

In my opinion [for what it's worth LoL], they are,
Reliable and do honer the warranty, BUT!!! When that warranty
expires and you want to fix it your self? FORGET IT!!! They
abandon their customers as soon as the warranty is out, so
keep that in mind when you opt out of the extended warranty
options. Being a Net Tech, I have abandoned flat screen "Green
Friendly" monitors, because they are planned obsulecents at
about 2 years from the time of purchase. We are filling land
fills with two year old flat screens at a rate unheard of
compared to the old CRT type monitor, after throwing two flat
screens away I dug out the old 21 inch sony trinitron VGA
color monitor and gave up on the new flat screen low energy
monitors, They blow up to early and waist your money.
If you can only afford to "EXTEND" a warranty on one of the 2
items I would extend the monitor's warranty NOT the computer,
after 2 years your compuuter will be old out of date and slow
anyway.

--
May You reep the poverrty You have Voted for.