getting spam from luckyvilles.co.cc

J Burns

Jan 8, 2011, 3:25:21 PM1/8/11
For 15 years I've had little trouble with spam -- even when I posted my
email address on usenet.

Lately I've been getting spam for all kinds of trash. All the spam says
I can unsubscribe at luckyvilles.co.cc.

In December I got an email purporting to be from a friend, asking me to
open a fanbox account. Fanbox demanded lots of personal information. I
rejected it and informed her. She didn't send it. Fanbox is notorious
for getting contact addresses from people's gmail accounts.

I suspect luckyvilles got my email address from fanbox. I'm afraid
asking to unsubscribe would only make it worse.

Co.cc is a Korean host whose site has an online form for reporting spam.
Would it be wise to report it there?

My email account is through att/yahoo. Would that be a good place to
report it? I don't have web access to my account because when yahoo
took over, they demanded lots of personal information before I could
have a username and password.

How should I handle it?

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2011, 4:34:39 PM1/8/11
J Burns wrote:

> For 15 years I've had little trouble with spam -- even when I posted
> my email address on usenet.

That problem has gotten a lot worse in recent years.

> Lately I've been getting spam for all kinds of trash. All the spam
> says I can unsubscribe at luckyvilles.co.cc.

> In December I got an email purporting to be from a friend, asking me
> to open a fanbox account. Fanbox demanded lots of personal
> information. I rejected it and informed her. She didn't send it. Fanbox is notorious for getting contact addresses
> from people's gmail
> accounts.

> I suspect luckyvilles got my email address from fanbox. I'm afraid
> asking to unsubscribe would only make it worse.

Yes, it would likely confirm that it is a viable email address.

> Co.cc is a Korean host whose site has an online form for reporting
> spam. Would it be wise to report it there?

Nope.

> My email account is through att/yahoo. Would that be a good place to report it?

Pointless, they wont do anything about it.

> I don't have web access to my account because when yahoo
> took over, they demanded lots of personal information before I could have a username and password.

> How should I handle it?

Change to using gmail, it handles spam much better than yahoo does.

Vandy Terre

Jan 8, 2011, 5:21:08 PM1/8/11

Make a change in your e-mail address. Learn to hit the delete key on spam. Use
a newsreader with a filter.

J Burns

Jan 9, 2011, 8:49:03 AM1/9/11
On 1/8/11 5:21 PM, Vandy Terre wrote:
>> How should I handle it?
> Make a change in your e-mail address.

If I do that, the spammers will win, won't they? Legitimate mail won't
reach me.

> Learn to hit the delete key on spam.

Delete without opening? Such snap judgments could victimize people
legitimately trying to contact me.

> Use a newsreader with a filter.

I'll try to remember your advice if I ever have trouble with usenet spam.

This thread has been very informative. I've learned that others are
plagued with spam, while my three recent ads have been the only ones in
years.

The spammer has a US address. The FTC says they must have a conspicuous
opt out button and they must honor it. If that doesn't work, it grounds
for a complaint to the FTC.

The FTC also recommends complaining to the host. I see the spammer has
recently changed hosts, so maybe somebody complained.

Sofa Slug

Jan 9, 2011, 12:56:42 PM1/9/11

As long as script execution & HTML display are turned off in your
reader, it should be OK to open email without deleting, assuming there
are no attachments. I think what people are trying to tell you is that
learning to recognize email as spam before opening it is a good thing :)

Opt-outs are usually just a way for a spammer to confirm that you have
responded, inviting even more spam. Spammers normally go through a
series of hosts in order to continue undaunted in their annoying quest.

I recommend that you sign up with spamcop.net and knujon.com. Reporting
spam to both regularly, combined with common sense about giving out
email addresses (as well as account filtering), has vastly reduced the
amount of spam I receive.

Rod Speed

Jan 9, 2011, 4:27:42 PM1/9/11
J Burns wrote
> Vandy Terre wrote

>>> How should I handle it?

>> Make a change in your e-mail address.

> If I do that, the spammers will win, won't they?

Nope.

> Legitimate mail won't reach me.

Nothing to stop you from notifying those you want to get
email from of the new email address, and keeping the old
one while ever it keeps getting email you want to read.

You wont be able to stop spam to your original email
address now that its escaped, whatever you do.

>> Learn to hit the delete key on spam.

> Delete without opening?

She didnt say that. If you use a better email provider like gmail,
they will filter most of the spam for you, and they can work out
what is spam by seeing what gets sent to their system to more
than one person in significant volume. yahoo doesnt bother.

> Such snap judgments could victimize people legitimately trying to contact me.

Then only delete what is obvious spam that gets past the filter.

>> Use a newsreader with a filter.

> I'll try to remember your advice if I ever have trouble with usenet spam.

> This thread has been very informative. I've learned that others are plagued with spam, while my three recent ads have
> been the only ones in years.

I get very little spam, even with the address I use on usenet.

> The spammer has a US address.

You dont know that. All you actually know is that they use a US address.

> The FTC says they must have a conspicuous opt out button

And you already said that they do have that.

> and they must honor it. If that doesn't work, it grounds for a complaint to the FTC.

And they dont do anything when you do.

> The FTC also recommends complaining to the host. I see the spammer
> has recently changed hosts, so maybe somebody complained.

Fat lot of good that will do you, they clearly found another.

J Burns

Jan 9, 2011, 6:46:54 PM1/9/11
On 1/9/11 12:56 PM, Sofa Slug wrote:

> As long as script execution & HTML display are turned off in your
> reader, it should be OK to open email without deleting, assuming there
> are no attachments. I think what people are trying to tell you is that
> learning to recognize email as spam before opening it is a good thing :)

I recognized the headers and thought, "Oh boy, I haven't had any spam in
years!" I'd started to think spammers didn't like me.

> Opt-outs are usually just a way for a spammer to confirm that you have
> responded, inviting even more spam. Spammers normally go through a
> series of hosts in order to continue undaunted in their annoying quest.

That's what I thought in the past, but the FTC recommends using them.

> I recommend that you sign up with spamcop.net and knujon.com. Reporting
> spam to both regularly, combined with common sense about giving out
> email addresses (as well as account filtering), has vastly reduced the
> amount of spam I receive.

The last time they got me was about ten years ago. I believe it was
overstock.com. I ordered a telephone. They said it was out of stock,
but if I'd leave my email address, they'd let me know when they had
more. Shortly after that, I started getting spam.

This time I think they got my address from somebody's gmail account. I
think there may be malware that changes a victim's DNS IPs, and their
DNS hijacks a victim to a fake gmail page that phishes their password to
harvest the addresses of friends.

Should I sign up with both?

Sofa Slug

Jan 10, 2011, 5:11:55 PM1/10/11
On 1/9/2011 3:46 PM, J Burns wrote:
> I recognized the headers and thought, "Oh boy, I haven't had any spam in
> years!" I'd started to think spammers didn't like me.
>>
>> Opt-outs are usually just a way for a spammer to confirm that you have
>> responded, inviting even more spam. Spammers normally go through a
>> series of hosts in order to continue undaunted in their annoying quest.
>
> That's what I thought in the past, but the FTC recommends using them.
>>
>> I recommend that you sign up with spamcop.net and knujon.com. Reporting
>> spam to both regularly, combined with common sense about giving out
>> email addresses (as well as account filtering), has vastly reduced the
>> amount of spam I receive.
>
> The last time they got me was about ten years ago. I believe it was
> overstock.com. I ordered a telephone. They said it was out of stock, but
> if I'd leave my email address, they'd let me know when they had more.
> Shortly after that, I started getting spam.
>
> This time I think they got my address from somebody's gmail account. I
> think there may be malware that changes a victim's DNS IPs, and their
> DNS hijacks a victim to a fake gmail page that phishes their password to
> harvest the addresses of friends.
>
> Should I sign up with both?

It can't hurt.

FTC not withstanding, opts-out are only good with "legit" sources. If
the email is genuinely from a retailer you've done business with, it's
probably safe to opt-out. For more info on this, see:
For a good overview on dealing with spam in general, go to:
http://www.mindworkshop.com/nospam.html

J Burns

Jan 11, 2011, 6:11:04 AM1/11/11

Thanks. Randy Cassingham says he gets tens of thousands of spam
messages each month, but he publishes his address to get subscribers.
His worsening problem could reflect the fact that he publishes his
address where it invited harvesting.

I've had very little trouble in recent years. So I wonder if his
opinion is correct, that government regulation made the problem worse.

> For a good overview on dealing with spam in general, go to:
> http://www.mindworkshop.com/nospam.html

I like that. ISPs used by spammers often don't approve, and those who
do can often be pressured. Luckyvilles' ISP looks responsible.

Luckyvilles seems to advertise American companies. I think that could
make it easy for the FTC to take away luckyvilles'clients.

The easiest approach for me may be to forward the spam to the two
organizations you mentioned earlier. I've been doing that.