Buying a new mattress and Ikea

john brook

Jan 13, 2011, 2:46:15 AM1/13/11
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Adrian

Jan 13, 2011, 2:52:03 AM1/13/11
"john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys.

IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
about that?

> Also it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
> spring cleaning.

Has it got a lot heavier since you bought it?

> Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a
> firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

What did you think when you went into the store and tried one?

Michaelangelo

Jan 13, 2011, 3:15:51 AM1/13/11
john brook burst on the scene, and said:
> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also
> it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
> spring cleaning.
>
> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
> 200x140x10cm for ᅵ60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
> thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if
> 10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we
> use a mattress pad.
>
> The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
> elswhere? Thanks.

I know nothing about foam mattresses but, looking at those available
online, 10cm seems quite shallow. 15cm seems a more common size. ᅵ60 is
also pretty cheap but probably accounted for by the thinness of the
mattress and Ikea's generally low prices.

I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
from people who know. If the Ikea one then seems a good buy you can
still go for it. You don't buy a new mattress very often and like most
things you get what you pay for so cheapest isn't necessarily best.

On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea
would be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at
them at all.

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Adrian

Jan 13, 2011, 3:20:05 AM1/13/11
Michaelangelo <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding

much like they were saying:

> On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea

> would be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at
> them at all.

We had an Ikea mattress for about 10-12 years. It was absolutely fine.

Richard Tobin

Jan 13, 2011, 3:42:09 AM1/13/11
In article <8p7qlp...@mid.individual.net>,
Michaelangelo <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> wrote:

>I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
>from people who know.

Other customers, you mean?

-- Richard

Peter Hawkins

Jan 13, 2011, 3:46:55 AM1/13/11

"Michaelangelo" <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> wrote in message

> john brook burst on the scene, and said:
>> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
>> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
>> heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring
>> cleaning.
>>
>> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one

>> 200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a

>> thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm
>> is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a
>> mattress pad.
>>
>> The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
>> elswhere? Thanks.
>
> I know nothing about foam mattresses but, looking at those available

> online, 10cm seems quite shallow. 15cm seems a more common size. £60 is

> also pretty cheap but probably accounted for by the thinness of the
> mattress and Ikea's generally low prices.
>
> I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice from
> people who know. If the Ikea one then seems a good buy you can still go
> for it. You don't buy a new mattress very often and like most things you
> get what you pay for so cheapest isn't necessarily best.
>
> On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea would
> be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at them at
> all.
>
> --
> Michaelangelo
> No good deed goes unpunished
>
> Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
> www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
> www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

We have ordered (but not had delivered yet) a new base and mattress, and the
mattress is a normal sprung one, but does not need to be turned.

This might help with it being too heavy, as once installed it shouldn't have
to be moved often.

I would think that a thin foam mattress might not be comfortable after a
while, but this is not from experience.
--
Peter Hawkins
South Lincolnshire

Foxy at Work

Jan 13, 2011, 4:08:47 AM1/13/11

As far as foam mattresses are concerned I wouldn't get a 10cm one, mind you
they are also quite heavy and not easy to turn. I love mine allthough it's
just a "topper" and in laid on top of my standard mattress. The price of �60
also seems very cheap.

Jen

michael adams

Jan 13, 2011, 4:04:51 AM1/13/11

"john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

From experience of thin cheap Ikea foam mattresses. Regardless of how often
they are turned or rotated the foam loses its resilience after about two
years or so. And so any valleys will reappear after a couple of days of
the mattress being turned. This is for users weighing no more than eleven
stone.

Without checking their website right now, I always wondered why some foam
mattresses cost two and three times the price of the cheap ones. Maybe this
is the reason why.

michael adams

Michaelangelo

Jan 13, 2011, 4:19:54 AM1/13/11

Staff.

The Natural Philosopher

Jan 13, 2011, 5:10:39 AM1/13/11
john brook wrote:

> The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
> elswhere? Thanks.

You could scarce find a *worse* deal.

Oh, and it's 'elsewhere'.

harry

Jan 13, 2011, 5:13:41 AM1/13/11

If you are talking about "memory foam" an aspect not realised is that
they are very hot (and sweaty). This because compared with a standard
mattress they are very good insulation. When you think, there is only
a very thin layer on a standard spring mattress. And if you ever want
to "wash " it, you can look out. Best done on the driveway .

leevan

Jan 13, 2011, 5:18:02 AM1/13/11

Considering you spend around a third of your life on a mattress I would
suggest going for the best you can afford. £60 sounds far to cheap for long
lasting quality.
--
leevan's dickie birds
www.pbrentnall.co.uk

Skipweasel

Jan 13, 2011, 5:25:38 AM1/13/11
In article <igmak7$r3t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, bluestar954
@mail.invalid says...

> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
> 200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
> one elswhere for the same money?

Personally I can't stand foam mattresses - they last about a week.

Turn you turn your old one often?

Skipweasel

Jan 13, 2011, 5:26:39 AM1/13/11
In article <8p7uds...@mid.individual.net>,
mike...@lineone.net.invalid says...

> >> I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
> >> from people who know.
> >
> > Other customers, you mean?
>
> Staff.

Ah - what they mostly know is how to steer you towards the item which
will earn them the highest commission.

Michaelangelo

Jan 13, 2011, 5:27:15 AM1/13/11
leevan burst on the scene, and said:

> ᅵ60 sounds far to cheap for long lasting quality.

But about right for long-lasting back problems

Message has been deleted

Michaelangelo

Jan 13, 2011, 5:30:33 AM1/13/11
Michaelangelo burst on the scene, and said:
> leevan burst on the scene, and said:
>
>> £60 sounds far to cheap for long lasting quality.

Michaelangelo

Jan 13, 2011, 5:32:25 AM1/13/11
Tim Streater burst on the scene, and said:

> [1] Prolly a bit like the wooden beds that WW2 prisoners slept on,
> where they took the slats out to use for escape tunnel support.

If you require support in your escape tunnel I would suggest that you
use the orthopaedic mattress rather than the wooden slats.

Richard Tobin

Jan 13, 2011, 6:37:29 AM1/13/11
In article <8p7uds...@mid.individual.net>,
Michaelangelo <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> wrote:

>>> I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
>>> from people who know.

>> Other customers, you mean?

>Staff.

What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

-- Richard

Tabby

Jan 13, 2011, 7:11:42 AM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 7:46 am, "john brook" <bluestar...@mail.invalid> wrote:

I wouldnt even look at Ikea for mattresses. Had very satisfactory
experience with M&S. Cheap mattresses arent worth buying, even if
you're poor, as they dont last. A good mattress does.

NT

Andy Dingley

Jan 13, 2011, 7:18:31 AM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 7:46 am, "john brook" <bluestar...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
> 200x140x10cm for 60.

That's certainly cheap, but is it a good mattress?

IMHE, Ikea mattresses have several problems:
* They're a weird size, so you have to buy Ikea mattresses to fit Ikea
beds.
* The quality is low: comfort and longevity both suffer.
* PU foam isn't great whoever makes it.

My own favourite mattresses aren't cheap, but they do solve these
problems: _latex_ foam (i.e. natural rubber), not PU. It comes in
sheets and is cut to any size, so you can make it fit an Ikea
bedframe. Comfort is also brilliant - better even than viscoelastic
foams like Tempur.

Allan

Jan 13, 2011, 7:19:42 AM1/13/11
On 13/01/2011 07:46, john brook wrote:
> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
> heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

[snip]

You might like to look at:
http://www.which.co.uk/mattresses
or a Which? article from Aug 2008:
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/p66-69_mattresses-153509.pdf

Allan

Derek F

Jan 13, 2011, 7:35:20 AM1/13/11
On 13/01/2011 08:15, Michaelangelo wrote:
> john brook burst on the scene, and said:
>> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
>> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it
>> so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring
>> cleaning.
>>
>> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
>> 200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a

>> thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm
>> is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a
>> mattress pad.
>>
>> The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
>> elswhere? Thanks.
>
> I know nothing about foam mattresses but, looking at those available
> online, 10cm seems quite shallow. 15cm seems a more common size. £60 is

> also pretty cheap but probably accounted for by the thinness of the
> mattress and Ikea's generally low prices.
>
> I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice from
> people who know. If the Ikea one then seems a good buy you can still go
> for it. You don't buy a new mattress very often and like most things you
> get what you pay for so cheapest isn't necessarily best.
>
> On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea
> would be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at
> them at all.

I'd go there for the Swedish Meatballs and excellent potatoes:-) They
used to often have vouchers that gave you them for 1p. We would have one
each go round the shop and have another before leaving.
Derek

alexander.keys1

Jan 13, 2011, 7:53:19 AM1/13/11
> Derek- Hide quoted text -

Get a futon bed, Argos have them for about £100, futons are much
better for your back, they are less heavy to move, and you can fold
the bed up into a sofa.

Ronald Raygun

Jan 13, 2011, 8:51:22 AM1/13/11
Adrian wrote:

> "john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding much
> like they were saying:
>
>> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
>> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys.
>
> IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
> about that?
>
>> Also it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
>> spring cleaning.
>
> Has it got a lot heavier since you bought it?

Good point. Besides, you're not meant to clean the springs.

>> Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a
>> firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.
>
> What did you think when you went into the store and tried one?

I think you'll find they frown on people disrobing in the store,
and you can't really make a proper assessment when fully clothed.

Mr Pounder

Jan 13, 2011, 10:15:56 AM1/13/11

"john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Stick a 3 before your £60 and you will get something 1/2 decent.

Mr Pounder

Bod

Jan 13, 2011, 10:42:13 AM1/13/11
I can only but agree with that.

--
Bod

Mr Pounder

Jan 13, 2011, 10:54:18 AM1/13/11

"Bod" <bodr...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

You are not allowed to agree with me.
I've had enough!

Bod reported to ab...@somewhere.co.uk

Mr Pounder

Jan 13, 2011, 11:33:04 AM1/13/11

"Michaelangelo" <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> wrote in message

Some people lurk in your group.

Mr Pounder

Foxy at Work

Jan 13, 2011, 11:36:42 AM1/13/11

Lurkers are welcome. We don't even mind them "chipping in" now and then :)

Jen

john brook

Jan 13, 2011, 12:11:18 PM1/13/11

"Mr Pounder" <MrPo...@RationalThought.com> wrote in message

> "Bod" <bodr...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On 13/01/2011 15:15, Mr Pounder wrote:
>>> "john brook"<blues...@mail.invalid> wrote in message

Looks like it's easier to live with the hills and valleys. After all
providing i'm in the valley it's not to bad. A bit hammock like i
suppose.....

Rod Speed

Jan 13, 2011, 12:35:39 PM1/13/11
Richard Tobin wrote
> Michaelangelo <mike...@lineone.net.invalid> wrote

>>> Other customers, you mean?

>> Staff.

> What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

They'd obviously know how many customers have a problem with a mattress they flogged.

And whether those who bought 10cm thick foam mattresses complained
about them a lot more than those who bought the thicker ones etc.

Dave Starling

Jan 13, 2011, 1:12:28 PM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 5:11 pm, "john brook" <bluestar...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> Looks like it's easier to live with the hills and valleys. After all
> providing i'm in the valley it's not to bad. A bit hammock like i
> suppose

John - if its any good, I was in an Ikea earlier for a different
reason but ended up looking at the mattresses as my own mattress has
ended up with one large valley in the middle :( They have lots of
varieties from the 4 cm thick ones up to the pocket sprung (Hemvdek?)
for about £200. That looked good on the cross section and is about
36cm deep but wow, it was extremely firm to lay on. The softer/medium
mattresses looked like two big slabs of 10cm foam glued together. I've
heard people saying the memory foam mattresses end up making you
sweaty during sleep and perhaps moreso during other activities.

I think pocket sprung is the way to go and I can only guess the way is
to trudge around the bed shops and test them. Buying mattresses off
the internet seems risky if they end up either too firm or too soft
for your liking.

Dave.

Message has been deleted

Tony Bryer

Jan 13, 2011, 2:40:37 PM1/13/11
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:11:42 -0800 (PST) Tabby wrote :
> I wouldnt even look at Ikea for mattresses. Had very satisfactory
> experience with M&S. Cheap mattresses arent worth buying, even if
> you're poor, as they dont last. A good mattress does.

Mine here came from Ikea and is fine. They do a whole range, prices here
from $60 (£39) to $949 (£612). I agree that very cheap is probably going
to be a bad buy unless for a rarely used spare bed.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

John Williamson

Jan 13, 2011, 2:39:25 PM1/13/11
I stay in a lot of cheap hotels. The worst mattresses are the foam ones
in cheap French chains, the best in Premier Inn in the UK. Maybe ask
them where they get theirs from?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

John Rumm

Jan 13, 2011, 4:01:46 PM1/13/11
On 13/01/2011 12:18, Andy Dingley wrote:

> My own favourite mattresses aren't cheap, but they do solve these
> problems: _latex_ foam (i.e. natural rubber), not PU. It comes in
> sheets and is cut to any size, so you can make it fit an Ikea
> bedframe. Comfort is also brilliant - better even than viscoelastic
> foams like Tempur.

Do you recommend and suppliers of latex mattresses or for that matter
just the foam cut to size?

--
Cheers,

John.

D.M.Chapman

Jan 13, 2011, 4:15:36 PM1/13/11
In article <8p92nc...@mid.individual.net>,

John Williamson <johnwil...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I stay in a lot of cheap hotels. The worst mattresses are the foam ones
>in cheap French chains, the best in Premier Inn in the UK. Maybe ask
>them where they get theirs from?

I agree - premier inn beds are pretty good. Better than many more expensive
hotels IMO.

http://www.premierinn.com/en/why/rooms.html

"King-size Hypnos beds"

http://www.hypnosbeds.com/

Not cheap...

Darren

Andy Dingley

Jan 13, 2011, 4:27:14 PM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 9:01 pm, John Rumm <see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:

> Do you recommend and suppliers of latex mattresses or for that matter
> just the foam cut to size?

There are a couple, just Google - mine came from some bunch up in
Yorkshire. I've also used Foam For Comfort for chair squabs (I make
chairs). I think the stuff is made in 2" sheets, which are then glued
up thicker, so you can have hard/soft as you like. They sew you up a
zipped mattress cover, as otherwise the stuff would erode on the
corners. For chairs I just upholster over it.

Vandy Terre

Jan 13, 2011, 5:36:02 PM1/13/11
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:13:41 -0800 (PST), harry <harol...@aol.com> wrote:

>If you are talking about "memory foam" an aspect not realised is that
>they are very hot (and sweaty). This because compared with a standard
>mattress they are very good insulation. When you think, there is only
>a very thin layer on a standard spring mattress. And if you ever want
>to "wash " it, you can look out. Best done on the driveway .

I agree that 'memory foam' is not a comfortable mattress. I enjoy a good foam
mattress. I really find innerspring mattresses uncomfortable and noisy (they
tend to ping when you move, okay most folks can't hear it, I can). I have an
old 'high density' foam mattress purchased back in 1984. It is starting to give
out so I keep it for camping use. It is good for two or three nights before it
started forming valleys.

I made the mistake of purchasing a 'memory foam' mattress to replace the 'high
density' foam. Tried to use it camping. In the hot months, 'memory foam' curls
up around you holding too much heat. In the cold months, 'memory foam'
remembers every bit of pressure for ever and is much like attempting to sleep on
a sack of half shelled walnuts.

Some where here on the farm I have several bags of wool from my sheep. This
wool has been clipped and held too long to make for easy spinning. I am
considering washing it all out and making a futon type mattress to replace the
'memory foam' I now use in the house. Real futons can become very heavy if the
wool used to make them becomes wet or heavily soiled. My homemade variety will
be bags of combed wool rollags that can be dismantled to wash once a year. This
washing should reduce collected soil and restore the fluff factor.

Another idea from a friend for a home made mattress was to watch the discount
stores for feather pillows. Sew the pillows together for a feather mattress.
If you used Velcro instead of sewing them together, then you could pull them
apart to wash once a year. Yes, you can machine wash and dry feather pillows.
The end result is clean pillows and some feather loss.

John Rumm

Jan 13, 2011, 5:49:23 PM1/13/11

Yup seen Foam for Comfort... shame they don't stick any prices on their
site these days.

Midge

Jan 13, 2011, 5:51:57 PM1/13/11
Interesting view on Premier Inn. I have had a Tempur mattress for some years
as it helps with a chronic back problem. Main snag I have with it is you
don't half notice when you're in someone elses bed (no smutty comments
please!). However, now I come to think of it, I don't think I've had any
issue with Premier Inn beds - which supports the view they are probably
better than most.

As far as "expensive" beds are concerned, when all is said and done its an
investment of less than 50p a day for something you use for 1/3 of the day,
and for maybe 10+ years. I can't think of many things that are better value
when you look at it like that.

BTW if anyone is interested in a view of the Tempur, mine is:

1. I got mine before other similar/cheaper products came on the market so
I'd recommend checking reviews of those and trying them. Its not new
technology any more.

2. Sleep around, and then shop around. Bought mine online in a sale and
saved over £300 but it still left a fair dent in the wallet.

3. Be prepared for some short term pain whilst your body adjusts to being
supported differently. Mrs Midge in particular suffered for a good few
weeks.

4. Some postings suggest you can feel hotter in summer. Agree - but we don't
personally find it uncomfortably so, and its down to personal preference.
For that reason alone, try any foam mattress till they get sick of the sight
of you in the store and make sure its suits you (that advice goes for any
bed come to think of it).

5. It's a good job they don't need turning, as they are surprisingly heavy
and there is nothing to grab hold of.

6. They are a bit like Marmite, you're either gonna love it or hate it.

"D.M.Chapman" <dmc@puffin.> wrote in message

John MacLeod

Jan 13, 2011, 7:18:21 PM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 10:49 pm, John Rumm <see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 13/01/2011 21:27, Andy Dingley wrote:
>
> > On Jan 13, 9:01 pm, John Rumm<see.my.signat...@nowhere.null>  wrote:
>
> >> Do you recommend and suppliers of latex mattresses or for that matter
> >> just the foam cut to size?
>
> > There are a couple, just Google - mine came from some bunch up in
> > Yorkshire. I've also used Foam For Comfort for chair squabs (I make
> > chairs). I think the stuff is made in 2" sheets, which are then glued
> > up thicker, so you can have hard/soft as you like. They sew you up a
> > zipped mattress cover, as otherwise the stuff would erode on the
> > corners. For chairs I just upholster over it.
>
> Yup seen Foam for Comfort... shame they don't stick any prices on their
> site these days.

Yes they do -- Dunlopillo Latex Mattress 78"x54"x6" medium firm,
£904.12. However I agree it's not very obvious -- there's a price
calculator which you can open from the bottom of the page. Works
fine.

Matty F

Jan 13, 2011, 7:19:37 PM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 8:46 pm, "john brook" <bluestar...@mail.invalid> wrote:
> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
> heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

I've had a waterbed for 20 years. The hills and valleys smooth out in
a few seconds!
It's impossible to move as it weighs 300kg, so if I move it to another
room I just drain it and refill with a dollar's worth of water.

Richard Tobin

Jan 13, 2011, 7:41:52 PM1/13/11
In article <8p8rfe...@mid.individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Staff.

>> What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

>They'd obviously know how many customers have a problem with a mattress
>they flogged.

Your experience of shopping is clearly completely different from mine.

-- Richard

Rod Speed

Jan 13, 2011, 10:23:46 PM1/13/11
Richard Tobin wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Richard Tobin wrote

>>> What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

>> They'd obviously know how many customers have a problem with a mattress they flogged.

> Your experience of shopping is clearly completely different from mine.

Or you have mindless prejudices/bigotry.

The individual who owns the store may well know more about mattresses than you will ever do.

Ret.

Jan 14, 2011, 3:31:44 AM1/14/11

But the individual who owns the store may well be more interested in
flogging the mattress that gives him the biggest profit - rather than
recommending the best one for your needs...

I know someone who works in an electrical products store in the West
Country. He tells me that every now and again a particular manufacturer will
offer incentives to sales staff re the sale of their products - let's say a
particular brand of washing machine. While the incentive is running -
anyone asking for advice about the best washing machine will be pushed in
the direction of the one offering the incentives to the sales staff!

DFS furniture has gone downhill since they began sourcing their furniture
from China. Most of their leather furniture incorporates cheap 'split hide'
leather on sides and back - and the foam in the seat cushions is appalling -
you'll be lucky if you get three years of those cushions before they
'bucket'. Do you think that DFS sales staff will advise you of that if you
ask them about the quality of their furniture?

They will tell you that their leather furniture is 100% leather (which it
is) - they wont tell you that it is 50% cheap and nasty split hide!

--
Kev

Michaelangelo

Jan 14, 2011, 4:07:28 AM1/14/11
Ret. burst on the scene, and said:

> DFS furniture has gone downhill since they began sourcing their
> furniture from China. Most of their leather furniture incorporates
> cheap 'split hide' leather on sides and back

You obviously know little or nothing about leather and how it's used.
Quality is not determined by whether split hides are used or not.
Indeed the vast majority of leather articles, including the best
quality shoes and boots, are made using split hides. A full hide is far
too thick and unwieldy.

Ret.

Jan 14, 2011, 4:51:19 AM1/14/11
Michaelangelo wrote:
> Ret. burst on the scene, and said:
>
>> DFS furniture has gone downhill since they began sourcing their
>> furniture from China. Most of their leather furniture incorporates
>> cheap 'split hide' leather on sides and back
>
> You obviously know little or nothing about leather and how it's used.
> Quality is not determined by whether split hides are used or not.
> Indeed the vast majority of leather articles, including the best
> quality shoes and boots, are made using split hides. A full hide is
> far too thick and unwieldy.

Nonsense.

We visited a quality furniture store yesterday and I picked up one of the
leaflets lying about. It states:

"We only use the highest quality full grain leather on all of our sofas.
Many of our competitors use fragile split grain leather on the back and
sides of their sofas to save costs. On the other hand we use premium full
hide leather on the whole of our sofas. Why? Because you deserve the best of
course."

I am currently in dispute with DFS over the appalling quality of two sofas
we bought from them in 2007. The split hide on the sides and back is like
cardboard - it's dreadful - and because the colour 'painted' on to it is
matt - it does not even match the deeper coloured sheen of the decent
leather on the cushions and arms.

So you are wrong. Split hide may have its uses - but with regards to
furniture - it is poor quality and down-market. All quality leather
furniture uses full grain hide - all over.

--
Kev

michael adams

Jan 14, 2011, 4:41:56 AM1/14/11

> Ret. burst on the scene, and said:
>
> > DFS furniture has gone downhill since they began sourcing their
> > furniture from China. Most of their leather furniture incorporates
> > cheap 'split hide' leather on sides and back
>
> You obviously know little or nothing about leather and how it's used.
> Quality is not determined by whether split hides are used or not.
> Indeed the vast majority of leather articles, including the best
> quality shoes and boots, are made using split hides. A full hide is far
> too thick and unwieldy.

The distinction is between "full grain", "top grain", and "split hide".

"Full grain" leather uses the whole thickness of the skin. It retains the
pores on the surface - giving breathability, and the natural structure
of the hide is retained, imparting extra strength. "Full grain" leather
is always used for the best class work, thinner hides from younger animals
being used where required. Hence "kid" gloves etc.

"Top grain leather " is the surface layer of the hide, which while it
retains the pores and breathabilty has only half the strength of full
grain leather.

"Split grain" leather is what's left after the top grain has been removed.
To obtain a gloss finish it's sanded and buffed and there are no natural
surface pores on the surface to impart breathability. As with top grain
it has only half of the strength of full grain leather. The worst of both
worlds.

michael adams

Mr Pounder

Jan 14, 2011, 8:00:20 AM1/14/11

"Foxy at Work" <privicy@.net.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

I tend to swear a lot and have been described as being arrogant, bombastic
and self righteous.
You are nice people and I will respect that.

Mr Pounder

Foxy at Work

Jan 14, 2011, 8:07:03 AM1/14/11
Mr Pounder wrote:

> I tend to swear a lot and have been described as being arrogant,
> bombastic and self righteous.
> You are nice people and I will respect that.

A nice man then really ! You have respect

Jen

John Rumm

Jan 14, 2011, 9:04:42 AM1/14/11
On 14/01/2011 00:18, John MacLeod wrote:
> On Jan 13, 10:49 pm, John Rumm<see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> There are a couple, just Google - mine came from some bunch up in
>>> Yorkshire. I've also used Foam For Comfort for chair squabs (I make
>>> chairs). I think the stuff is made in 2" sheets, which are then glued
>>> up thicker, so you can have hard/soft as you like. They sew you up a
>>> zipped mattress cover, as otherwise the stuff would erode on the
>>> corners. For chairs I just upholster over it.
>>
>> Yup seen Foam for Comfort... shame they don't stick any prices on their
>> site these days.
>>

> Yes they do -- Dunlopillo Latex Mattress 78"x54"x6" medium firm,
> Ł904.12. However I agree it's not very obvious -- there's a price

> calculator which you can open from the bottom of the page. Works
> fine.

Well spotted. Yup that works... just did a kingsize 8" thick layered one
- over Ł1300 alas!

AriesVal

Jan 14, 2011, 10:38:00 AM1/14/11
On 14/01/2011 13:00, Mr Pounder wrote:
> I tend to swear a lot and have been described as being arrogant, bombastic
> and self righteous.
> You are nice people and I will respect that.
>
> Mr Pounder

Well done for delurking - nice to meet you . I swear sometimes too,
words like work, and Christmas ;-)

--
May you live all the days of your life. ~Irish blessing
http://www.ariesval.co.uk/vals.page/

Rod Speed

Jan 14, 2011, 1:34:19 PM1/14/11
Ret. wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Richard Tobin wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Your experience of shopping is clearly completely different from mine.

>> Or you have mindless prejudices/bigotry.

>> The individual who owns the store may well know more about mattresses than you will ever do.

> But the individual who owns the store may well be more interested in
> flogging the mattress that gives him the biggest profit - rather than
> recommending the best one for your needs...

Yes, but you havent established that the profit does vary that much
accross the rang available to buy. They certainly dont just recommend
the most expensive products, and you can compare what they recommend
with what others flogging mattresses have to say about mattresses too.

> I know someone who works in an electrical products store in the West Country. He tells me that every now and again a
> particular
> manufacturer will offer incentives to sales staff re the sale of
> their products - let's say a particular brand of washing machine. While the incentive is running - anyone asking for
> advice about the best washing machine will be pushed in the direction of the one offering the incentives to the sales
> staff!

And that wont affect general comments about say pocket
spring and memory foam mattresses over times etc.

> DFS furniture has gone downhill since they began sourcing their
> furniture from China. Most of their leather furniture incorporates
> cheap 'split hide' leather on sides and back - and the foam in the
> seat cushions is appalling - you'll be lucky if you get three years of those cushions before they 'bucket'. Do you
> think that DFS sales staff will advise you of that if you ask them about the quality of their furniture?

They do have to tell you if they are split hide or not and you can shaft them
using your consumer protection operation if they lie about stuff like that.

> They will tell you that their leather furniture is 100% leather (which it is) - they wont tell you that it is 50%
> cheap and nasty split hide!

They dont get any choice when you ask if its split hide or not.

And its completely trivial to get those basics from some operation like Which etc anyway.

Andy Dingley

Jan 14, 2011, 2:26:35 PM1/14/11
On Jan 14, 2:04 pm, John Rumm <see.my.signat...@nowhere.null> wrote:

> Well spotted. Yup that works... just did a kingsize 8" thick layered one

> - over 1300 alas!

Ouch! Mine was about £800 when I bought it.

Amethyst Deceiver

Jan 15, 2011, 7:31:15 AM1/15/11

And you honestly think they're going to tell the customer that?
Seriously?

Amethyst Deceiver

Jan 15, 2011, 7:33:04 AM1/15/11
On 13 Jan 2011 07:52:03 GMT, Adrian <tooma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>"john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding much
>like they were saying:

>> It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
>> mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys.
>

>IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
>about that?

Of course not, it's far easier to complain to the world than to
actually do something.

Andy Burns

Jan 15, 2011, 7:34:19 AM1/15/11
Amethyst Deceiver wrote:

> <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Richard Tobin wrote
>>

>>> What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?
>>
>> They'd obviously know how many customers have a problem with a mattress they flogged.
>>
>> And whether those who bought 10cm thick foam mattresses complained
>> about them a lot more than those who bought the thicker ones etc.
>
> And you honestly think they're going to tell the customer that?
> Seriously?

If they saw it as a way of up-selling to a more expensive, more
profitable mattress, then yes.

Amethyst Deceiver

Jan 15, 2011, 7:35:07 AM1/15/11
On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:25:38 -0000, Skipweasel <no...@127.1.1.1> wrote:

>In article <igmak7$r3t$1...@news.eternal-september.org>, bluestar954
>@mail.invalid says...
>> We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
>> 200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
>> one elswhere for the same money?
>>

>Personally I can't stand foam mattresses - they last about a week.
>
>Turn you turn your old one often?

Speak you Shakespearean these days, Gooey?

Rod Speed

Jan 15, 2011, 2:58:54 PM1/15/11
Amethyst Deceiver wrote

Yep, operations like Ikea do exactly that.

Rod Speed

Jan 15, 2011, 3:00:52 PM1/15/11
Andy Burns wrote
> Amethyst Deceiver wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Richard Tobin wrote

Doesnt explain why operations like Ikea do sell those cheaper mattresses to those who want them.

john brook

Jan 16, 2011, 3:42:46 PM1/16/11

"Amethyst Deceiver" <ne...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message

that's an idiot comment. they don't have a good reputation for dealing with
complaints... and they have had very bad publicity in the past. we have seen
masses of people queuing to return stuff and people shouting.

are they going to send someone out to inspect it....of course not.

we cannot even get it down the stairs because its so heavy and it wont go in
the car. even if we got it there they can so easily say.. you haven't
turned it often enough...

are Ikea paying you to say stuff like this?

Frank Erskine

Jan 16, 2011, 6:03:57 PM1/16/11

I had an idea that Ikea bed-stuff (such as mattresses) are
non-standard sizes, certainly not British standard, so that you would
probably have to buy the whole lot to make sure it all goes together
properly.

--
Frank Erskine

Amethyst Deceiver

Jan 17, 2011, 2:43:49 PM1/17/11
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:42:46 -0000, "john brook"
<blues...@mail.invalid> wrote:

>"Amethyst Deceiver" <ne...@lindsayendell.org.uk> wrote in message
>> On 13 Jan 2011 07:52:03 GMT, Adrian <tooma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"john brook" <blues...@mail.invalid> gurgled happily, sounding much
>>>like they were saying:

>>>IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
>>>about that?
>>
>> Of course not, it's far easier to complain to the world than to
>> actually do something.
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>that's an idiot comment. they don't have a good reputation for dealing with
>complaints... and they have had very bad publicity in the past. we have seen
>masses of people queuing to return stuff and people shouting.

And yet you go back?

>are they going to send someone out to inspect it....of course not.

They come with a guarantee. Have you read it and followed the
instructions?

>we cannot even get it down the stairs because its so heavy and it wont go in
>the car. even if we got it there they can so easily say.. you haven't
>turned it often enough...

How did you get it up the stairs? Serious question.

>are Ikea paying you to say stuff like this?

Seriously, is that the best you can do? "You don't agree with me so
you must be on their side."