Could you live without clothes dryer? Washer only?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 27, 2009, 10:31:47 PM10/27/09
I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
the washer only

I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even
need a dryer.

Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
dry your clothes?

Rod Speed

Oct 27, 2009, 10:46:50 PM10/27/09
Yes. I do have one that I got for free and have never bothered to use it.

Never even bothered to try it out.

m...@privacy.net wrote:

> I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping the washer only

Works fine for me.

> I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even need a dryer.

Corse you dont.

> Could you live without a dryer?

Yes, and do, too.

> If yes, how would YOU dry your clothes?

I have enough clothes so that I can just wash when its not going to rain,
dry them on a line outside. Nothing flash, its just 3 runs of nylon rope
between rings on the wall of the house, rawlbolts, and rings on the fence.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Napoleon

Oct 28, 2009, 9:21:01 AM10/28/09
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:31:47 -0500, m...@privacy.net wrote:
>Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
>dry your clothes?

Yes, I have dryer, but rarely use it. I hang my clothes outside and in
the winter hang them in the basement. It makes it easier to have at
least two indoor clothes lines and a drying rack for the small things.
The dryer is mainly used for towels, that can get hard and itchy if
dried on the line.

Watch out for neighborhoods that don't allow you to hang clothes
outside. It's ridiculous, they don't like the look of hanging clothes,
but the humongous, chinese, plastic swingsets are fine.

Susan Bugher

Oct 28, 2009, 10:35:21 AM10/28/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:

<smile> Another "you know you're getting old when. . ." moment. Of
course you can live without a dryer. I can remember when scarcely anyone
owned a clothes dryer. (They became popular in the 1940-50s).

I suggest you get a clothesline or a drying rack and try line drying
before you give up your dryer. Line dried clothes are stiff and "boardy"
if you don't have a good breezy drying day or if you dry them indoors.
Things like comforters take "forever" to dry. . .

Dryers are a great time saver too, especially if you do lots of laundry.

If the tradeoffs are acceptable to you, give up your dryer. For what
it's worth, I'd hate to have to give up mine. . .

Susan

Al

Oct 28, 2009, 10:47:36 AM10/28/09

I dropped the dryer use about a year and a half ago and won't go
back. Here is what I did after some trial and error.
First, I own plenty of duplicate clothes, towels and so on. I have
plenty of plastic hangers available. I took six hangers and attached
eight small plastic clothespins to them spaced equally along the
length. I used those plastic pull ties to attach the clothespins to
the hangers. I made an area where I can hang clothes and other stuff
on hangers. I do the wash and hang everything up without worrying how
long it takes to dry. When it is dry, I move some hangers to another
use area and place underwear and socks to the proper drawers. For
clarification, those hangers with the eight clothespins are used for
hanging underwear and socks. It saves lots of space. Nothing has to go
outside. The whole operation only takes minutes for a load of items.

tmclone

Oct 28, 2009, 12:06:19 PM10/28/09

Nope. If I were forced to choose only one I'd get rid of the washer
and keep the dryer. I live in blue jeans. I can't IMAGINE wearing
jeans that were not tumbled dry. Also, I live in upstate NY where it
rained for at least a few minutes nearly every day this summer and
it's below freezing for 6 months of the year. I would use a laundry
service before I'd try to survive without a dryer.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 28, 2009, 1:17:08 PM10/28/09
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have enough clothes so that I can just wash when its not going to rain,
>dry them on a line outside. Nothing flash, its just 3 runs of nylon rope
>between rings on the wall of the house, rawlbolts, and rings on the fence.

do you live in an arid climate?

m...@privacy.net

Oct 28, 2009, 1:18:21 PM10/28/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:

>I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
>the washer only

I was also thinking abt getting a condensing washer

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 1:51:24 PM10/28/09
Susan Bugher wrote
> m...@privacy.net wrote

>> I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping the washer only

>> I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even need a dryer.

>> Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU dry your clothes?

> <smile> Another "you know you're getting old when. . ." moment. Of
> course you can live without a dryer. I can remember when scarcely
> anyone owned a clothes dryer. (They became popular in the 1940-50s).

> I suggest you get a clothesline or a drying rack and try line drying before you give up your dryer. Line dried clothes
> are stiff and "boardy" if you don't have a good breezy drying day

None of mine are, so it must be the clothes etc you choose to wear.

Mine are all pure cotton except for the polar fleeces.

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 1:59:28 PM10/28/09
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Yep, and the clothes dry fine on the line outside in winter too.

The met records claim that we had snow just once in 100 years, but I bet it didnt stay long.

If you do multiple loads on the hottest dry days in summer, the first
load is often dry by the time the second load is ready for the line,
with the humidity 3-4% and the temp at 110F with a decent wind.
In fact if feels like you are walking into an oven when you hang the
clothes out on the line those days.

We do very occassionally get a day where the max doesnt get above 32F
in winter, but they are pretty rare and there are always sunny days in winter
and I have enough clothes so I can wait for good days for the wash.

Bob F

Oct 28, 2009, 3:34:18 PM10/28/09

Indoor clothes drying rack, with a fan blowing at it as needed for faster drying
when my house is unheated.

I still have the dryer but use it less, mostly for fluffing up things after
drying, using the air cycle.

itsjoan...@webtv.net

Oct 28, 2009, 3:49:35 PM10/28/09
On Oct 28, 2:34 pm, "Bob F" <bobnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> m...@privacy.net wrote:
> > I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
> > the washer only
>
> > I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even
> > need a dryer.
>
> > Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> > dry your clothes?

I would reeeeeally hate to give up my dryer. I do hang clothes
outside in the summer but no way can I do 2 or 3 loads and one be dry
by the time I'm ready to hang out another. Humidity here is quite
high throughout the summer. I h-a-t-e towels dried on a line, no
matter how much fabric softener I use. They're too stiff and
scratchy.

No place for an indoor clothes line either. I can remember my mother
hanging out clothes in the dead of winter and those clothes freeze
dried. When I do laundry I want to be done with it; hangers hanging
every where with wet clothes on them get on my last nerve. Even
though I have enough clothes and underwear to be able to skip 2 weeks
or more without washing I just don't want stuff hanging around waiting
to air dry indoors.

Unless you need the space where the dryer would be connected why not
keep it? Doesn't matter how much you move, you'll be surprised how
many times you'll use it without thinking.

Donna

Oct 28, 2009, 4:56:58 PM10/28/09
m...@privacy.net wrote in news:j7bfe59b45m66s5bp...@4ax.com:

> Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> dry your clothes?

Yes. I have before and probably will again some day. You use ingenuity and
hang things where you can - on a porch, on a rack in the house, on a line
in the yard, or wherever.

--
~Donna A~
http://www.thesewingdictionary.com

Lou

Oct 28, 2009, 7:47:18 PM10/28/09

"Susan Bugher" <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> m...@privacy.net wrote:
>
> > I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
> > the washer only
> >
> > I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even
> > need a dryer.
> >
> > Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> > dry your clothes?
>
> <smile> Another "you know you're getting old when. . ." moment. Of
> course you can live without a dryer. I can remember when scarcely anyone
> owned a clothes dryer. (They became popular in the 1940-50s).

I know what you mean - I remember sitcoms where the plot revolved around the
poor overworked wife schemeing to get hubby to buy a dryer.

Lou

Oct 28, 2009, 7:53:27 PM10/28/09

"Napoleon" <ana...@666yes.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:31:47 -0500, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> >Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> >dry your clothes?
>
> Yes, I have dryer, but rarely use it. I hang my clothes outside and in
> the winter hang them in the basement.

I don't think hanging stuff inside to dry saves much (if any) energy - it
takes a certain amount of heat to evaporate a given amount of water. The
water doesn't care if that heat comes from a dryer or the furnace.

Vandy Terre

Oct 28, 2009, 8:11:23 PM10/28/09
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:35:21 -0400, Susan Bugher <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote:

><smile> Another "you know you're getting old when. . ." moment. Of
>course you can live without a dryer. I can remember when scarcely anyone
>owned a clothes dryer. (They became popular in the 1940-50s).
>
>I suggest you get a clothesline or a drying rack and try line drying
>before you give up your dryer. Line dried clothes are stiff and "boardy"
>if you don't have a good breezy drying day or if you dry them indoors.
>Things like comforters take "forever" to dry. . .

Clothing will not be as stiff and boardy if you add fabric softener to the final
rinse. If you are using a ringer washer/ top load with center agitator, use a
softener ball. The ball opens in the final rinse and saves you time watching
the washer for the right cycle.

Vandy Terre

Oct 28, 2009, 8:26:27 PM10/28/09
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:31:47 -0500, m...@privacy.net wrote:

How much is moving a lot? A washer is a lot of weight to manage in a loaded
vehicle or to just move it. You might want to sell both if you are moving more
than once a year. Clothing can be washed by hand and hung on a drying rack
inside or clothes line outside. Just make sure you have at least three outfits
to use in rotation. One that you are wearing, one that is drying and a spare if
the drying one isn't dry.

Now if you still intend to move the washer with you, remember to pack it full
once it is loaded on the moving vehicle. Wrap dishes or other kitchen stuff in
dish towels and dish clothes before packing to reduce breakage. Avoid packing
any thing in paper/ noodle/ packing material that you can. Clothing, bed
linens, towels and small rugs can be used to wrap many things. Doing this cuts
down on the weight being moved and the amount of trash to discard. Ideally, you
cut your load down to what fits easily into what ever you drive. Find homes for
any pets if you will be renting. Finding a rental that allows pets can be very
difficult and expensive.

Now if you are really moving a lot as in near monthly, you might want to
consider purchase of a small motor home. Then just plan to live in what ever
camp ground is closest to place of work. But again, toss anything you don't
really need or want. Weight in any moving vehicle costs money to move.

Once upon a time I made the mistake of marrying a man that would not keep a job,
pay the bills, or buy food. As a result I spent three years moving. I got
rather good at it. While married to him I averaged five different cities a year
with at least three addresses per city and we lived in four different States. I
finally got tired of being the only one paying any bills or buying any food and
moving, divorced him. Now I own the land beneath my home and have been here
near twenty years.

sr

Oct 28, 2009, 9:11:13 PM10/28/09

<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> [...]
I have a clothes dry, now. I don't dry clothes in it, but put the clothes
in it to shake out the wrinkles than I put the damp clothes on plastic
hanger and put them on the clothes line. Did the same at the nursing home,
it's a wonderful thing. Love the smell, also

sr

Oct 28, 2009, 9:13:10 PM10/28/09

"Napoleon" <ana...@666yes.net> wrote in message
=
In the winter, I hang clothes beside the woodstove area

Les Cargill

Oct 28, 2009, 11:20:42 PM10/28/09

But how much money does a clothes dryer cost to run? This:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
says $0.30 per load. A whopping 30 loads a month is
$9.00 a month.... I can't imagine 30 loads a month - I
run about eight per person in the household...

--
Les Cargill

Susan Bugher

Oct 28, 2009, 10:49:53 PM10/28/09
Rod Speed wrote:

I said "Line dried clothes are stiff and "boardy" if you don't have a
good breezy drying day or if you dry them indoors."

> None of mine are, so it must be the clothes etc you choose to wear.

Do you often make these wild leaps to silly conclusions?

(I note that you wrote in another post that you have good weather for
your outdoor line-drying => lots of those "good breezy drying days". I
guess you stopped reading what I wrote before you got to the "if".)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Oct 28, 2009, 11:03:52 PM10/28/09
Lou wrote:
> "Susan Bugher" <sebu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> <smile> Another "you know you're getting old when. . ." moment. Of

>> course you can live without a dryer. I can remember when scarcely anyone
>> owned a clothes dryer. (They became popular in the 1940-50s).

> I know what you mean - I remember sitcoms where the plot revolved around the
> poor overworked wife schemeing to get hubby to buy a dryer.

<grin> Missed those. In our rather remote town television arrived AFTER
clothes dryers.

Rod Speed

Oct 28, 2009, 11:41:09 PM10/28/09
Susan Bugher wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

> I said "Line dried clothes are stiff and "boardy" if you don't have a good breezy drying day or if you dry them
> indoors."

There's much better ways to quote than that.

>> None of mine are, so it must be the clothes etc you choose to wear.

> Do you often make these wild leaps to silly conclusions?

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> (I note that you wrote in another post that you have good weather for
> your outdoor line-drying => lots of those "good breezy drying days". I
> guess you stopped reading what I wrote before you got to the "if".)

Guess again. I never ever said that its always breezy when I line dry, fool.

Lets go thru this very very slowly for the terminally stupid.

My clothes are not stiff and boardy when I line dry them on days with no wind at all.

Bob F

Oct 29, 2009, 1:04:03 AM10/29/09

If you run a humidifier in the winter like many in the cold north, that effect
may be neutralized.

Susan Bugher

Oct 29, 2009, 9:28:03 AM10/29/09
Rod Speed wrote:

> My clothes are not stiff and boardy when I line dry them on days with no wind at all.

Thanks for the clarification.

Susan

zxcvbob

Oct 29, 2009, 11:56:43 AM10/29/09
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
> the washer only
>
> I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even
> need a dryer.
>
> Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> dry your clothes?

Hang the small stuff on a line or a rack to dry. Take the big stuff
(that you don't wash all that often anyway) to the laundromat and pay
50� to use their dryer.

Bob

m...@privacy.net

Oct 29, 2009, 12:06:07 PM10/29/09
Vandy Terre <va...@tanglewood-destiny.com> wrote:

>>Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
>>dry your clothes?
>
>How much is moving a lot? A washer is a lot of weight to manage in a loaded
>vehicle or to just move it.

twice a year

Donna

Oct 29, 2009, 1:43:21 PM10/29/09
zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net> wrote in news:7ktsdnF3bbdeqU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Hang the small stuff on a line or a rack to dry. Take the big stuff
> (that you don't wash all that often anyway) to the laundromat and pay
> 50� to use their dryer.

You can dry the big stuff on a rack as well. It just takes planning. When
my kids were little, I had 2 drying racks and an outside line. We heated
with wood, so I had the added drying energy there, but in general, I rarely
if ever used my dryer.

Message has been deleted

Marsha

Oct 29, 2009, 8:24:45 PM10/29/09
Les Cargill wrote:
> But how much money does a clothes dryer cost to run? This:
> http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
> says $0.30 per load. A whopping 30 loads a month is
> $9.00 a month.... I can't imagine 30 loads a month - I
> run about eight per person in the household...
>
> --
> Les Cargill

For me, it's not the relatively small cost saving, although that's an
added benefit. It's that wonderful fresh-air smell and slight stiffness
from drying towels and a few other things outdoors. Air drying also
saves wear and tear on fabrics. The only things I put in the dryer are
my dress clothes for work, and they only take about 15 min.

Marsha

tmclone

Oct 29, 2009, 9:31:29 PM10/29/09
On Oct 29, 4:42 pm, Balvenieman <balvenie...@invalid.net> wrote:

> Susan Bugher <sebug...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I said "Line dried clothes are stiff and "boardy" if you don't have a
> >good breezy drying day or if you dry them indoors."
>
>         Cult Princess! Hello! LOL! "Rod Speed" is MCFL's "Bottoms"
> equivalent! Any attempt at rational discourse is likely to be a total
> waste. I have for years suspected "rod" to be software-based.
>         FWIW: Unless the wash water has astoundingly high mineral content,
> the culprit behind boardy stiffness and spikey terrycloth towels is most
> likely to be detergent residue. You can remove most of it, in a few
> washes, by adding a small amount of vinegar -- up to ½ cup for large
> load -- to a rinse. You can prevent or slow the accumulation by using
> only "enough" detergent, the shortest practical wash cycle, at least two
> immersion rinses (spray and cooldown "rinses" don't count) and
> occasionally additing a small amount of vinegar (no more than ½ cup for
> a large load) to the first rinse. With a little experience, you'll be
> well able to judge from the amount of sudsing in the second rinse
> whether it's time to use a little vinegar. That is, assuming that you're
> where you can or want to monitor the "automatic" washer ;-). I've seen
> commercial products for cleaning washing machines in the supermarket but
> don't know anything about them.
>         Using these techniques, laundry comes from the lines soft to the
> touch, relaxed and easy to fold, with relaxed "hand", drapes and wears
> well. Towels are soft, not scratchy, with good loft. I got this tidbit
> from Consumer Reports ages ago when it published far more useful
> information than just cursory product ratings.

Well...As someone using a top of the line water softener, along with
softener in the washer as well as a dryer sheet in the dryer, I have
to disagree. I would NEVER attempt to put on denim jeans dried on a
clothes line. They would cut my legs open they're so stiff. And towels
line dried? I wouldn't use line dried towel on my dishes! Where do you
people live?,Do you have normal human skin? Doubt it.

Les Cargill

Oct 29, 2009, 11:57:56 PM10/29/09
Marsha wrote:
> Les Cargill wrote:
>> But how much money does a clothes dryer cost to run? This:
>> http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
>> says $0.30 per load. A whopping 30 loads a month is
>> $9.00 a month.... I can't imagine 30 loads a month - I
>> run about eight per person in the household...
>>
>> --
>> Les Cargill
>
> For me, it's not the relatively small cost saving, although that's an
> added benefit. It's that wonderful fresh-air smell and slight stiffness
> from drying towels and a few other things outdoors.

This is very true.

> Air drying also
> saves wear and tear on fabrics. The only things I put in the dryer are
> my dress clothes for work, and they only take about 15 min.
>
> Marsha

I have had very few articles of clothing actually wear out. I will
continue to use the dryer - I pay for it in my rent.

--
Les Cargill

Susan Bugher

Oct 30, 2009, 2:39:06 PM10/30/09
Balvenieman wrote:

> Cult Princess! Hello! <SNIP>

<Grin> Hi. Thanks for all the good tips.

Susan

MarieD

Oct 31, 2009, 12:17:50 PM10/31/09
<m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking abt selling my clothes dryer and keeping
> the washer only
>
> I'm single and will be moving a lot and not sure I even
> need a dryer.
>
> Could you live without a dryer? If yes, how would YOU
> dry your clothes?

I would just hang them outside or in the house over chairs and furniture, or
buy a cheap clothes rack. I did live without a washer/dryer when my first
child was a baby; I washed clothes in the bathtub with detergent and
squeezed them out and hung them over the furniture. Not the best way, but it
worked.
Marie

rocket scientist

Oct 31, 2009, 6:22:47 PM10/31/09
In article <7ksh6oF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

we dry outside on a nice day. No laws against that .... yet !
when it turns rainey , like today, we have "laundry land" .. that is .
in come the clothes and they get hung up near the wood stove.

JonquilJan

Oct 31, 2009, 5:13:01 PM10/31/09
My mother lived without a dryer for years. Clothes were hung in the
basement to dry (took a few days) when the weather prohibited them being
hung outdoors (really smelled good that way!)

I use a laundromat (waher and dryer) for convenience - but often rinse/wash
things out by hand and hang them to dry at home.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2009, 11:50:13 PM10/31/09
rocket scientist wrote

I have enough clothes so I dont need to wash when there is any possibility of rain.

Nov 1, 2009, 7:03:25 PM11/1/09

"rocket scientist" <georg...@toast.net> wrote in message

Yeah, but then everything stinks of wood smoke. YUCK!

m...@privacy.net

Nov 2, 2009, 12:06:46 PM11/2/09
"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I suggest you get a clothesline or a drying rack and try line drying before you give up your dryer. Line dried clothes

>> are stiff and "boardy" if you don't have a good breezy drying day
>

>None of mine are, so it must be the clothes etc you choose to wear.

Do you have a lot of clothes that have synthetic
materials in them such as polyester?

Or is the bulk of your clothing ALL cotton?

m...@privacy.net

Nov 2, 2009, 12:07:45 PM11/2/09
Les Cargill <lcarg...@comcast.net> wrote:

>But how much money does a clothes dryer cost to run? This:
>http://www.csgnetwork.com/elecenergycalcs.html
>says $0.30 per load. A whopping 30 loads a month is
>$9.00 a month.... I can't imagine 30 loads a month - I
>run about eight per person in the household...

It's not abt the cost to run...... but is abt the
hassle to move when moving a lot.

Such as summer intern college student

Rod Speed

Nov 2, 2009, 4:39:08 PM11/2/09
m...@privacy.net wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

Only the polar fleeces.

> Or is the bulk of your clothing ALL cotton?

Yep, I avoid synthetics with Tshirts, jeans, shorts etc.

I do prefer a synthetic mix with sox, for better wear, but only wear those in
the winter, bare feet and what we call thongs whenever its warm enough.