Free Kindling

VFW

Jul 10, 2010, 10:44:01 AM7/10/10
I just advertised on Craigslist that I wanted old wood shingles and got
a hit. Lots of redwood ones. and some nails! Delivered and Free!
We're even trimming some to cover a shed. turn them over for the Re-born
Look.
--
Money! What a concept.

Al

Jul 10, 2010, 7:19:44 PM7/10/10

So you had a ton of these dumped in your driveway. Of course you
determined what they may have been treated with so you won't be losing
brain cells to the fumes.

VFW

Jul 10, 2010, 7:29:05 PM7/10/10
In article
<6a80235b-d612-4c2a...@q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Al <albu...@mailinator.com> wrote:

You have a nice day.

The Henchman

Jul 10, 2010, 10:35:38 PM7/10/10

"VFW" <geor...@toast.net> wrote in message

VFW: Al is correct. There are a number of commercial wood products that
are treated with dangerous chemicals that you should not breath when they
are burned. In particular burning treated wood with galvanized nails is a
double lethal does as the zinc from the nails reacts with the released
chemicals from the wood. What's even worse is handling the ash of such
woods is far more dangerous than breathing the smoke.

Al

Jul 11, 2010, 6:45:49 AM7/11/10
On Jul 10, 10:35 pm, "The Henchman" <y...@yup.org> wrote:
> "VFW" <george...@toast.net> wrote in message

> > In article
> > <6a80235b-d612-4c2a-bd4e-5900f9770...@q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,

> > Al <albun...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> .
>
> >> So you had a ton of these dumped in your driveway. Of course you
> >> determined what they may have been treated with so you won't be losing
> >> brain cells to the fumes.
>
> > You have a nice day.
>
> VFW:    Al is correct.  There are a number of commercial wood products that
> are treated with dangerous chemicals that you should not breath when they
> are burned.  In particular burning treated wood with galvanized nails is a
> double lethal does as the zinc from the nails reacts with the released
> chemicals from the wood.  What's even worse is handling the ash of such
> woods is far more dangerous than breathing the smoke.

HA HA HA

VFW did not want any help. He just wanted to brag a bit.
Now he can shingle the VW for a new look. Call it rustic over rust.
Free shingles off Craig's List.
What a concept.

The Henchman

Jul 11, 2010, 8:29:35 AM7/11/10

> VFW did not want any help. He just wanted to brag a bit.
> Now he can shingle the VW for a new look. Call it rustic over rust.
> Free shingles off Craig's List.
> What a concept.

I thought he wanted firestarter wood which is what kindling is around here.

Al

Jul 11, 2010, 4:43:59 PM7/11/10

True enough, but it's apparently an inside stove that he will get some
fumes from.

From a Nov. 09' post:
"To get the wood stove started in the morning I prepare ahead of time
paper bag that contains. some saw-dust, a piece of cardboard,some
kindling ,newspaper & maybe a piece of egg carton.
it sure gets the flue up to speed, pronto."

He ain't roasting hot dogs outside with it.