Expensive new glasses!

KenK

Jul 27, 2013, 12:32:41 PM7/27/13
An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare! Last
trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in lenses, nothing
special. Will be looking for another optometrist for the future. However,
my sister says her last glasses were $500! So maybe it's just yet another
300% price increase over the past few years.

Mrs Irish Mike

Jul 27, 2013, 1:58:04 PM7/27/13
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:32:41 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:

You might look at something like http://www.cheapglasses123.com , this is the one I used. A friend also needed glasses for driving, she got sunglasses for less than $50. She didn't go with the bi-focal Rx, just the one to correct for near-sightedness.

You have a right to you prescription. Make sure you ask for your PD. Read a little and you could be saving a couple of hundred bucks.

The Real Bev

Jul 27, 2013, 2:35:05 PM7/27/13
On 07/27/2013 09:32 AM, KenK wrote:

> An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
> operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare! Last
> trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in lenses, nothing
> special. Will be looking for another optometrist for the future. However,
> my sister says her last glasses were $500! So maybe it's just yet another
> 300% price increase over the past few years.

1. Expensive frames are no better than cheap frames. The only cheap
frame I've ever broken in the decades I've worn glasses was when I
face-planted while skiing -- and I fixed it with superglue.

2. They want to sell you coatings that you probably don't need.

3. Does that include several remakes as your eyes change in the next
few months or so? When my mom had her cataracts done she needed three
different sets of glasses before her eyes settled down.

I've bought glasses on-line from both Zenni and Goggles4U. The problem
is in knowing how the frames will actually fit; I have a hard time
because of my nose shape, and wire-frames provide way too many different
powers depending on where you need to look -- twisting around to back up
a pickup truck is especially difficult at night.

It's better if you KNOW that your prescription is correct because you've
already worn glasses made to that prescription. If you haven't and if
you have a problem you can't know if it's the prescription or the
glasses themselves that are wrong.

If they'd asked me to do it I would have designed eyes a LOT better!

--
Cheers, Bev
"My life outside of USENET is so full of love and kindness that I have

Gary Heston

Jul 27, 2013, 5:26:59 PM7/27/13
In article <XnsA20A61188...@130.133.4.11>,
KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
>operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare! Last
>trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in lenses, nothing
>special. Will be looking for another optometrist for the future. However,
>my sister says her last glasses were $500! So maybe it's just yet another
>300% price increase over the past few years.

Not sure where you are; I'm in north Alabama and have two pair of
glasses, one optomized to focus on monitors (at arms length) and another
for anything beyond that (driving, yard work, etc.). I've had both pair
for about two years; they cost $350 each--with the frames at half price.
Without the discount, they'd have been $500 each. I get no help on the
glasses, just a discounted exam.

I've heard co-workers mention spending over $700 for glasses.

Gary

The Real Bev

Jul 27, 2013, 7:56:22 PM7/27/13
Did they sound like they were secretly bragging about it? The
'designer' frames are the biggest ripoff ever -- you pay for the name of
the designer, not the frame quality.

What extras (coatings, mostly) did you get besides single vision plastic?

--
Cheers, Bev
O_________________________________________________O

Bill Gill

Jul 28, 2013, 9:29:37 AM7/28/13
On 7/27/2013 11:32 AM, KenK wrote:
> An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
> operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare! Last
> trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in lenses, nothing
> special. Will be looking for another optometrist for the future. However,
> my sister says her last glasses were $500! So maybe it's just yet another
> 300% price increase over the past few years.

When I had my cataracts removed I got a pair of bifocals that
came with the operation at no extra charge. Your price sounds
way high. And I am still using the same ones. Well, sort of.
Actually I keep those in the living room so I can read and
look up and see the TV without taking off my glasses. For the
rest I have a pair of reading glasses by the computer to use
there and several pairs at different locations to use in
reading wherever I happen to be. I am using the 3 for $10
reading glasses from Walmart.

As far as prices go, here in the Tulsa area we have a number
of places advertising 2 pairs of bifocals for under $100.
So it seems you are really getting over charged.

Bill

KenK

Jul 28, 2013, 11:42:47 AM7/28/13
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 07/27/2013 09:32 AM, KenK wrote:
>
>> An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
>> operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare!
>> Last trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in
>> lenses, nothing special. Will be looking for another optometrist for
>> the future. However, my sister says her last glasses were $500! So
>> maybe it's just yet another 300% price increase over the past few
>> years.
>
> 1. Expensive frames are no better than cheap frames. The only cheap
> frame I've ever broken in the decades I've worn glasses was when I
> face-planted while skiing -- and I fixed it with superglue.
>
> 2. They want to sell you coatings that you probably don't need.

Yep. For one, a coating to turn the glasses dark in sunlight. I turned it
down. AFAIK mine include no extra coatings.

> 3. Does that include several remakes as your eyes change in the next
> few months or so?

Not that I know of.

> When my mom had her cataracts done she needed three
> different sets of glasses before her eyes settled down.

I had no problems after my first cataract op some 12 years ago.

> I've bought glasses on-line from both Zenni and Goggles4U. The
> problem is in knowing how the frames will actually fit; I have a hard
> time because of my nose shape, and wire-frames provide way too many
> different powers depending on where you need to look -- twisting
> around to back up a pickup truck is especially difficult at night.
>
> It's better if you KNOW that your prescription is correct because
> you've already worn glasses made to that prescription. If you haven't
> and if you have a problem you can't know if it's the prescription or
> the glasses themselves that are wrong.

The old cataract eye prescript remained much the same. The newly operated
eye is vastly different from the unoperated one but close to the other
eye.

> If they'd asked me to do it I would have designed eyes a LOT better!

I have some suggestions for prostates too.

KenK

Jul 28, 2013, 11:46:03 AM7/28/13
ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in

> In article <XnsA20A61188...@130.133.4.11>,
> KenK <inv...@invalid.com> wrote:
>>An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
>>operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare!
>>Last trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in lenses,
>>nothing special. Will be looking for another optometrist for the
>>future. However, my sister says her last glasses were $500! So maybe
>>it's just yet another 300% price increase over the past few years.
>
> Not sure where you are;

Fae SW AZ,

> I'm in north Alabama and have two pair of
> glasses, one optomized to focus on monitors (at arms length) and
> another for anything beyond that (driving, yard work, etc.). I've had
> both pair for about two years; they cost $350 each--with the frames at
> half price. Without the discount, they'd have been $500 each. I get no
> help on the glasses, just a discounted exam.
>
> I've heard co-workers mention spending over $700 for glasses.

From what I've ben hearing on-line, the success of the day-to-day usage
is more important than the price.

> Gary

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 28, 2013, 11:50:59 AM7/28/13
??? I went to the Athens WalMart and my glasses were nowhere near that
expensive. There are a couple of optomotrists in the area that advertise
heavily, and from what I found in customer reviews they were not worth the
price.

The Real Bev

Jul 28, 2013, 12:34:08 PM7/28/13
On 07/28/2013 08:42 AM, KenK wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On 07/27/2013 09:32 AM, KenK wrote:
>>
>>> An unexpectedly expensive day yesterday. $350+ for new post-cataract-
>>> operation glasses! That's with 25% discount and help from Medicare!
>>> Last trifocals some two years ago were $125. Trifocal lines in
>>> lenses, nothing special. Will be looking for another optometrist for
>>> the future. However, my sister says her last glasses were $500! So
>>> maybe it's just yet another 300% price increase over the past few
>>> years.
>>
>> 1. Expensive frames are no better than cheap frames. The only cheap
>> frame I've ever broken in the decades I've worn glasses was when I
>> face-planted while skiing -- and I fixed it with superglue.
>>
>> 2. They want to sell you coatings that you probably don't need.
>
> Yep. For one, a coating to turn the glasses dark in sunlight. I turned it
> down. AFAIK mine include no extra coatings.

When I had glass glasses back in the dark ages the photogray coating was
perfect -- light enough at night, dark when I was outside. I got
plastic ones later on which were absolutely worthless. Maybe the
plastic ones are better now, but probably not. Cheaper to order
sunglasses from Zenni or Goggles4U.

>> 3. Does that include several remakes as your eyes change in the next
>> few months or so?
>
> Not that I know of.
>
>> When my mom had her cataracts done she needed three
>> different sets of glasses before her eyes settled down.
>
> I had no problems after my first cataract op some 12 years ago.

OTOH, she had perhaps one of the last cataract operations to use
stitches and the quack gave her near vision without asking what she
wanted; I just happened to mention that choice was standard a couple of
years later and she was outraged -- distance vision would have been far
more useful to her.

>> I've bought glasses on-line from both Zenni and Goggles4U. The
>> problem is in knowing how the frames will actually fit; I have a hard
>> time because of my nose shape, and wire-frames provide way too many
>> different powers depending on where you need to look -- twisting
>> around to back up a pickup truck is especially difficult at night.
>>
>> It's better if you KNOW that your prescription is correct because
>> you've already worn glasses made to that prescription. If you haven't
>> and if you have a problem you can't know if it's the prescription or
>> the glasses themselves that are wrong.
>
> The old cataract eye prescript remained much the same. The newly operated
> eye is vastly different from the unoperated one but close to the other
> eye.
>
>> If they'd asked me to do it I would have designed eyes a LOT better!
>
> I have some suggestions for prostates too.

Jeez, ANYBODY could have designed a better prostate unless its true
purpose is to make you miserable and then kill you.

--
Cheers, Bev
If violence isn't solving the problem, you're not using enough of it.

vjp...@at.biostrategist.dot.dot.com

Jul 29, 2013, 8:50:01 PM7/29/13
I get $7 glasses from zenni.com. Bifocals and those that gradually change
are expensive and bifocals confuse me. I'd rather swap glasses.

I've never known anyone with trifocals so my method here may not apply

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Shoe-Chucker 2

Jul 31, 2013, 2:17:03 PM7/31/13
In article <1f11865d-d65c-4a34...@googlegroups.com>,
and did you know you can improve your vision, some eliminate the need
for glasses. I did.
--
Karma ; what a concept!

21bla...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2013, 7:28:12 PM12/19/13
i got a little carried away and
bought about 6 pairs of glasses,
for under $100, from

ZenniOptical.com

can't be beat

marc

The Real Bev

Dec 20, 2013, 1:43:37 AM12/20/13
If you need bifocals and +/-3D (or more) of correction you can get 2 or
3 pair for $100. Still not bad.

--
Cheers, Bev
"We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke

Shoe-Chucker 2

Jan 22, 2014, 8:51:48 AM1/22/14
In article <b6383d65-e19a-4955...@googlegroups.com>,
Some can actually improve their vision and not need glasses at all.
Hey, I've done it.
Google; Vision Improvement.

wilm...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2014, 1:32:00 PM6/24/14
On Saturday, July 27, 2013 9:32:41 AM UTC-7, KenK wrote:
Bump the already discussed.