Made Cheese Curds Last Night

Rick

Jan 16, 2009, 12:35:11 PM1/16/09
Hello all,

We made homemade cheese curds last night. They turned out very
squeaky, the way I like them. The cheese was bright white unlike most
of the store bought varieties I've eatan. It was nice to know what
actually went into the cheese.

Has anyone ever tried making cheese with sheep's milk?

Regards,

Rick Boesen
Olivet, MI
www.FiberArtFest.com
www.QuesoCabezaFarm.com

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jan 16, 2009, 7:20:51 PM1/16/09
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:35:11 -0800 (PST), Rick
<ri...@quesocabezafarm.com> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>We made homemade cheese curds last night. They turned out very
>squeaky, the way I like them. The cheese was bright white unlike most
>of the store bought varieties I've eatan. It was nice to know what
>actually went into the cheese.
>
>Has anyone ever tried making cheese with sheep's milk?

Nope, but I've had to forgo eating cottage cheese entirely, now that
ALL the brands use guar gum, which can give me serious thick mucous
problems. DId you make the curds with vinegar, or what?

Rick

Jan 20, 2009, 8:58:07 AM1/20/09
On Jan 16, 7:20 pm, hchick...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:35:11 -0800 (PST), Rick

We used calcium chloride to start the seperation of the curds and
whey. We also used rennet which is a special bacteria used in cheese
making. The curds turned out to be a little small as we pressed the
cheese to get the liquid out instead of hanging it in a bag and
allowing it to drain naturally.

meow...@care2.com

Jan 20, 2009, 7:21:12 PM1/20/09

Out of interest, can one drain commercial cottage cheese, press into a
ball and make hard cheese with it? Might be worth a try for some very
low fat hard cheese

NT