Battery-less tv remote control

aesthete8

Jul 19, 2012, 9:08:45 PM7/19/12
Is there such a thing?

Michael Black

Jul 20, 2012, 12:11:32 AM7/20/12
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, aesthete8 wrote:

> Is there such a thing?

Why?

Unless you sit on it or put books on it, it draws very little current,
maybe none at all, when it's just sitting there. Pressing a button uses
current, but it's a brief instance. The batteries may last almost as long
as if you just left them on the shelf.

Given that, any fidgetting is going to bring up the cost. You could use
rechargeable batteries, but then you'd need to keep recharging them, since
they self-drain. Add solar cells to charge the battery? But the
batteries last long enough. Add a crank generator to charge up the
batteries? But the batteries last long enough. You end up spending money
on a problem that isn't a problem.

SOmething like a flashlight makes sense, since it draws steady current
when on, and likely goes long periods without use. You want that
flashlight to work when the power goes off, hence it makes sense to have a
crank generator or a solar cell to keep it charged. But the circumstances
are different.

Michael

aesthete8

Jul 20, 2012, 1:48:03 AM7/20/12
On Jul 19, 6:11 pm, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012,aesthete8wrote:
I'm just tired of having to buy batteries.

Max Aluminum

Jul 20, 2012, 11:17:37 AM7/20/12
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:08:45 PM UTC-4, aesthete8 wrote:
> Is there such a thing?

It's a waste of time and money since the alkaline batteries last for years anyway in this device. If yours do not, you are buying cheap defective batteries.

Technically, it would be possible to make such a device by using current "induced" from the TV to the remote similar to what is done with anti-theft devices on articles that set off alarms when taken out the door at a store.

Beaver Fever

Jul 20, 2012, 3:09:38 PM7/20/12
My first Betamax in 1984 had a wired remote!

I don't even put fresh batteries in my remotes, I use batteries from
other devices that burn out quicker and they still last months or
years.

John Weiss

Jul 20, 2012, 4:11:42 PM7/20/12
Max Aluminum wrote:

> On Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:08:45 PM UTC-4, aesthete8 wrote:
> > Is there such a thing?
>
> Technically, it would be possible to make such a device by using
> current "induced" from the TV to the remote similar to what is done
> with anti-theft devices on articles that set off alarms when taken
> out the door at a store.

The FIRST TV remotes back in the 60s had no electrical power. They had
a "clicker" that hit a tuned rod, and the sound turned the TV on and
off.

Rod Speed

Jul 22, 2012, 2:22:12 AM7/22/12
aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote

> Is there such a thing?

Depends on what you mean by battery-less.

Its possible to do a remote that never needs the battery replaced.

Fake ID

Jul 23, 2012, 1:10:02 AM7/23/12
In article <cd2e73cd-4070-49cb...@po9g2000pbb.googlegroups.com>,
aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is there such a thing?

Don't know of any. Maybe there's an opportunity waiting to be
exploited.

How about devices that take their queues...er...cues by watching or
listening to the user?
A kinect-based "remote" that watches the user wave and gesture.
A siri "remote" that finds porn anytime someone says "fuck".
A remote that turns the TV on or off anytime someone claps.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 23, 2012, 1:56:32 AM7/23/12
In article <a71khu...@mid.individual.net>,
exactly how does that qualify as battery-less?

Rod Speed

Jul 24, 2012, 7:01:30 PM7/24/12
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> aesthete8 <art...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Is there such a thing?

>> Depends on what you mean by battery-less.

>> Its possible to do a remote that never needs the battery replaced.

> exactly how does that qualify as battery-less?

Its now clear that what he doesn't like is REPLACING batterys.

And something with a mega capacitor recharged by say solar doesn't have a
battery anyway.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 25, 2012, 2:49:31 AM7/25/12
In article <a78nrv...@mid.individual.net>,
I don't care what you call it but an electronic device that isn't connect to the
grid via wires is de facto packed with a battery

Rod Speed

Jul 25, 2012, 4:54:02 PM7/25/12
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> exactly how does that qualify as battery-less?

>> Its now clear that what he doesn't like is REPLACING batterys.

>> And something with a mega capacitor recharged
>> by say solar doesn't have a battery anyway.

> I don't care what you call it but an electronic device that isn't
> connect to the grid via wires is de facto packed with a battery

A mega capacitor isnt a battery.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 25, 2012, 10:42:47 PM7/25/12
In article <a7b4ne...@mid.individual.net>,
so it doesn't store energy? energy that can power electrical devices?

Rod Speed

Jul 26, 2012, 12:06:00 AM7/26/12
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> I don't care what you call it but an electronic device that isn't
>>> connect to the grid via wires is de facto packed with a battery

>> A mega capacitor isnt a battery.

> so it doesn't store energy?

There are plenty of things that store energy
that arent batterys, like springs for example.

> energy that can power electrical devices?

See above.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 26, 2012, 7:30:58 PM7/26/12
In article <a7bu1d...@mid.individual.net>,
show me a spring that can power a telephone (without some fancy micro-generator
attached)

Rod Speed

Jul 26, 2012, 8:12:10 PM7/26/12

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" <atlas-...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
Irrelevant to whether batterys are the only way to store energy.

Mrs Irish Mike

Jul 26, 2012, 10:31:16 PM7/26/12

I have a different question:

Why do they make ALL TV remotes black? Watching a movie and the phone rings, and one is likely to miss the call searching for the remote.

Why not make them Day-Glo orange? Or shocking Pink? Or even white, so that they would stand out when looking for them under the couch.

Seems like an easy fix. Who do I talk to to get this done?

Rod Speed

Jul 26, 2012, 10:54:24 PM7/26/12
Mrs Irish Mike <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote

> I have a different question:

How dare you ?

> Why do they make ALL TV remotes black?

They don't, the remote for my Grundig is silver.

> Watching a movie and the phone rings, and one
> is likely to miss the call searching for the remote.

> Why not make them Day-Glo orange? Or shocking Pink?

Some do.

> Or even white, so that they would stand out
> when looking for them under the couch.

Some do.

> Seems like an easy fix. Who do I talk to to get this done?

No need to talk to anyone, just buy one.

Michael Black

Jul 27, 2012, 12:05:57 AM7/27/12
On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Mrs Irish Mike wrote:

I have a different question:

> Why do they make ALL TV remotes black? Watching a movie and the phone
> rings, and one is likely to miss the call searching for the remote.

They don't. My 22" LCD tv set i bought last year has a white remote, to
match the white tv set. I have universal remotes that are silver.

> Why not make them Day-Glo orange? Or shocking Pink? Or even white, so
> that they would stand out when looking for them under the couch.
>
> Seems like an easy fix. Who do I talk to to get this done?

Get some flourescent paint, and paint the backs of the remotes. it won't
always help, but plenty of times they do land keys down and that would
help.

Michael

The Real Bev

Jul 27, 2012, 4:38:44 PM7/27/12
On 07/26/2012 09:05 PM, Michael Black wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2012, Mrs Irish Mike wrote:
>

> I have a different question:
>>
>> Why do they make ALL TV remotes black? Watching a movie and the phone
>> rings, and one is likely to miss the call searching for the remote.
>>
> They don't. My 22" LCD tv set i bought last year has a white remote, to
> match the white tv set. I have universal remotes that are silver.
>
>> Why not make them Day-Glo orange? Or shocking Pink? Or even white, so
>> that they would stand out when looking for them under the couch.

Day-glo would definitely be nice.

>> Seems like an easy fix. Who do I talk to to get this done?
>>
> Get some flourescent paint, and paint the backs of the remotes. it won't
> always help, but plenty of times they do land keys down and that would
> help.

Fluorescent paint isn't all that useful except in total darkness.
Day-glo paint (ordinary spray cans) is very fragile. It needs a white
undercoat for the glo-ishness to work. If you spray clear stuff over it
it loses its glo and becomes ordinary paint. I don't know what they use
on the newer day-glo street signs, but it's probably very expensive.

I used to do my motorcycle helmets day-glo green or orange. Whoever
hits me is NOT going to be able to claim he didn't see me.

--
Cheers, Bev
"There's an apocryphal (I hope not !) story about a Bristol bike

John Weiss

Jul 27, 2012, 10:21:44 PM7/27/12
The Real Bev wrote:

> Fluorescent paint isn't all that useful except in total darkness.
> Day-glo paint (ordinary spray cans) is very fragile. It needs a
> white undercoat for the glo-ishness to work. If you spray clear
> stuff over it it loses its glo and becomes ordinary paint. I don't
> know what they use on the newer day-glo street signs, but it's
> probably very expensive.
>
> I used to do my motorcycle helmets day-glo green or orange. Whoever
> hits me is NOT going to be able to claim he didn't see me.

Last I knew, street signs were done in retroreflective glass
micro-beads.

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Jul 28, 2012, 11:21:54 PM7/28/12
In article <a7e4mv...@mid.individual.net>,