Cancelling CompuServe - Gonna Have Issues?

Coffee's For Closers

Sep 13, 2010, 1:34:04 AM9/13/10
I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.

However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
saying, "Please Stop."

This is especially worrying since it has a monthly automatic
payment from my checking account.

I have heard that CompuServe has a reputation of failing to shut
off service when asked politely. This is apparently a legacy
from AOHell. They apparently just keep slapping your bank
account with the debit.

Apparantly, they don't respond well to online requests to stop.
And they need a phone call to a CSR who has a financial incentive
to retain the customer (and keep billing, on and on...)

Perhaps there is some way to move the billing to a prepaid Visa
card, and then fail to top up that card? Thus resulting in
termination of service?

But would this result in some kind of collection agency action?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Michael Black

Sep 13, 2010, 7:55:11 AM9/13/10
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Coffee's For Closers wrote:

> I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.
>
> However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
> saying, "Please Stop."

ANd how is that different from having an account that you aren't using?
I didn't even think Compuserve still existed, I can't imagine what might
be there still of value. Indeed, you don't seem to either, since
you aren't using it, yet keep on paying.

The worst that can happen, given your scenarios, is that if you try to
cancel you'll just keep paying, which is what you are doing now.

Michael

Message has been deleted

Coffee's For Closers

Sep 13, 2010, 4:56:55 PM9/13/10
In article
<Pine.LNX.4.64.10...@darkstar.example.net>,
et...@ncf.ca says...

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, Coffee's For Closers wrote:

> > I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.
> >
> > However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
> > saying, "Please Stop."

> ANd how is that different from having an account that you aren't using?

Well, for starters... I am not billing anybody's checking account
for $14.95/mo.

My issue is about a merchant with a reputation for clinging to
customers.

> I didn't even think Compuserve still existed, I can't imagine what might
> be there still of value. Indeed, you don't seem to either, since
> you aren't using it, yet keep on paying.

Like I said, I want to stop paying. But this particular merchant
has a reputation for clinging to customers. And continuing to
slap their checking account each month.

> The worst that can happen, given your scenarios, is that if you try to
> cancel you'll just keep paying, which is what you are doing now.

I don't want to keep paying. I am highly annoyed by the $14.95
slap each month. And this merchant has a reputation for failing
to understand the concept of, "Please Stop."

Gordon Burditt

Sep 13, 2010, 6:27:52 PM9/13/10
>I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.
>
>However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
>saying, "Please Stop."

The way to find that out is to say "Please Stop". They are
unlikely to burn a Koran on your lawn.

I cancelled (about 1987) and had no problems.

>This is especially worrying since it has a monthly automatic
>payment from my checking account.

Be prepared to *CHANGE BANKS* to get rid of any automatic payment
(this includes automatic *deposit*) by a merchant that's extremely
uncooperative. However, it's rare you have to go that far.

However, if you don't ask them to stop, you'll still keep paying
for a service that you don't need. If you do ask them to stop,
about the worst think that can happen is that you'll still keep
paying for a service that you don't need.

>I have heard that CompuServe has a reputation of failing to shut
>off service when asked politely. This is apparently a legacy
>from AOHell. They apparently just keep slapping your bank
>account with the debit.

Compuserve had a bad reputation for that, oh, say 20 years ago, but
if they did it to everyone, hopefully the FTC has stomped them by
now.

>Apparantly, they don't respond well to online requests to stop.
>And they need a phone call to a CSR who has a financial incentive
>to retain the customer (and keep billing, on and on...)

If they don't respond to online requests, try certified mail, return
receipt requested, and keep a copy.

If they start offering you incentives to stay, you might find that
chanting "Cancel Cancel Cancel" while they're trying to explain
their offer effective. If you can lie really convincingly, explain
that there's a baby being electrocuted and you need the account
turned off *IMMEDIATELY* so firefighters can rescue him. Act frantic
and a little bit nuts. Don't give any details.

It is inadvisable to send anyone a cancellation notice that they'll
really pay attention to, like one attached to a bomb threat, a bunch
of mysterious white powder, or a knife in the heart of their CEO.

>Perhaps there is some way to move the billing to a prepaid Visa
>card, and then fail to top up that card? Thus resulting in
>termination of service?
>
>But would this result in some kind of collection agency action?

A collection agency has no more right to collect than the original
creditor. If the harass you or ruin your credit rating over a bill
they know is not due (that's why you kept a copy of the certified
mail cancelling the account), you've got good grounds for a lawsuit
against them.

If unauthorized charges appear on your bank statement, dispute them.
You may be able to get your bank to back you up in refusing further
charges from them. But you have to start by cancelling the account.

Rich Greenberg

Sep 13, 2010, 8:55:26 PM9/13/10
In article <MPG.26f82ff2a...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Coffee's For Closers <Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:

>I don't want to keep paying. I am highly annoyed by the $14.95
>slap each month. And this merchant has a reputation for failing
>to understand the concept of, "Please Stop."

Well, have you yet said to them "please stop"? You seem afraid to take
the first step, and I can guarantee that compuspend won't.

And tell your bank (in writing) that thier authority to make withdrawals
is cancelled. And be prepared to close the account.

--
Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097
Canines: Val, Red, Shasta, Zero & Casey (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L

Bob F

Sep 13, 2010, 10:11:36 PM9/13/10
Coffee's For Closers wrote:
> I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.
>
> However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
> saying, "Please Stop."
>
> This is especially worrying since it has a monthly automatic
> payment from my checking account.
>
> I have heard that CompuServe has a reputation of failing to shut
> off service when asked politely. This is apparently a legacy
> from AOHell. They apparently just keep slapping your bank
> account with the debit.
>
> Apparantly, they don't respond well to online requests to stop.
> And they need a phone call to a CSR who has a financial incentive
> to retain the customer (and keep billing, on and on...)
>
> Perhaps there is some way to move the billing to a prepaid Visa
> card, and then fail to top up that card? Thus resulting in
> termination of service?
>
> But would this result in some kind of collection agency action?

Write to them that you are canceling. Send it return receipt requested. That
should do it. If they don't stop, tell your bank to stop paying them. If they
continue to bill you, and the bank won't help, close the bank account, and take
Compuserve to small claims court for any payments after your cancellation.

Sep 14, 2010, 9:03:18 AM9/14/10

> Write to them that you are canceling. Send it return receipt requested.
> That should do it. If they don't stop, tell your bank to stop paying them.
> If they continue to bill you, and the bank won't help, close the bank
> account, and take Compuserve to small claims court for any payments after
> your cancellation.
The OP is a troll who posts weird stuff to all sorts of news groups and has
serious "Mommy issues". Just ignore. She'll be whining about something or
someone else who is abusing her next week.

LDC

Sep 14, 2010, 12:41:32 PM9/14/10
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 19:11:36 -0700, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Write to them that you are canceling. Send it return receipt requested. That
>should do it. If they don't stop, tell your bank to stop paying them. If they
>continue to bill you, and the bank won't help, close the bank account, and take
>Compuserve to small claims court for any payments after your cancellation.

Actually you cannot stop automatic withdrawals from your bank
account. You can allow them to start, but the only party that can
stop them is the party making the withdrawals. In a dispute, your
only recourse is to close the bank account as you suggest.

Depending on your state laws you may or may not be able to sue in
small claims court. It might depend if they have an agent for
process you your state or if the small claims court in your state
allows service on an out of state party.

imascot

Sep 14, 2010, 5:52:14 PM9/14/10
LDC <ldco...@san.spamblocker.com> wrote in news:tj6v86dgdt3tst08b5617ue8b3v8700nre@
4ax.com:

> Actually you cannot stop automatic withdrawals from your bank
> account. You can allow them to start, but the only party that can
> stop them is the party making the withdrawals. In a dispute, your
> only recourse is to close the bank account as you suggest.

This does not appear to be true, and it does not make sense for it to be true, anyway.
See:
http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/faqs/banking_autowithdrawals.html
J.

a real cheapskate

Sep 14, 2010, 8:19:34 PM9/14/10
Dish network is nearly as bad. I was never on auto pay, but when they
jacked up the extra receiver fees to 17 bucks I took the loyalty
credit. It ended and I canceled.

But with Dish you pay in advance and at cancelation time I asked when
my 100 buck refund would be coming, they said soon.

after numerous calls and 2 months later they changed their tune
stating I would have to request a refund:(

I was pretty pissed it was 2 months, they sent me a email saying my
card was getting a refund last week. if its not on my account i will
file a complaint with the BBB, they tend to settle those complaints
fast:)

Having been a dish customer for over 13 years they have really
changed, between fee jacking price increases and charging the
departing customer to return their leased boxes dish has become a rip
off.

I am now a happy comcast customer, great channel line up, internet and
phone for about what i used to pay dish just for TV, no contracts and
a nice installer...

VFW

Sep 17, 2010, 5:59:35 AM9/17/10
In article <MPG.26f757a1a...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Coffee's For Closers <Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:

> I have a Compuserve account that I'm not using now.
>
> However, I have heard that there may be some resistance to just
> saying, "Please Stop."
>
> This is especially worrying since it has a monthly automatic
> payment from my checking account.
>
> I have heard that CompuServe has a reputation of failing to shut
> off service when asked politely. This is apparently a legacy
> from AOHell. They apparently just keep slapping your bank
> account with the debit.
>
> Apparantly, they don't respond well to online requests to stop.
> And they need a phone call to a CSR who has a financial incentive
> to retain the customer (and keep billing, on and on...)
>
> Perhaps there is some way to move the billing to a prepaid Visa
> card, and then fail to top up that card? Thus resulting in
> termination of service?
>
> But would this result in some kind of collection agency action?

I had this problem with Sonic.net
I even let the C.C. expire and they sent me bills to my home.
Sonic.net sucks
--
Karma, What a concept!

zeez

Sep 18, 2010, 7:11:07 AM9/18/10
Demand Compu$erve (damn, these bozos still exist?!) to cancel the
account. I would also consider changing banks scince yours seems to be
in bed with companies and does not give a rats ass about you. You
should always be able to stop a company from leeching off of your
account. If the bank or credit card company is being an ass about
this, ditch them.