converter box suck

anthona

Jan 29, 2011, 3:38:08 PM1/29/11
I live in NY and for the most part get excellent pictures with the box
off my indoor and outdoor antennas ( i have 2 separate box's for each
TV ). In the old days, there was always the problems with
'ghosts'...seeing halo's around a figure. Now, with these box's we
lose usually at most inopportune times the dialogue and if the
picture is fine, the audio pops in and out. ..so what was the point of
these conversions..instead of ghosts, now it pixels. At least with
ghosts, the audio was in tact.

Rod Speed

Jan 29, 2011, 4:21:58 PM1/29/11
anthona wrote:

> I live in NY and for the most part get excellent pictures with the
> box off my indoor and outdoor antennas ( i have 2 separate box's
> for each TV ). In the old days, there was always the problems with
> 'ghosts'...seeing halo's around a figure. Now, with these box's we
> lose usually at most inopportune times the dialogue and if the
> picture is fine, the audio pops in and out. ..

Mine doesnt.

> so what was the point of these conversions..

Lots more channels, much longer distances from the transmitter, with
a properly implemented system, no audio dropouts or pixellation at all.

> instead of ghosts, now it pixels.

Dont get any of those myself in the bad sense. All
systems have pixels, even the old analog system does.

> At least with ghosts, the audio was in tact.

My audio is fine. And no ghosts either. And its a hell a lot easier to record as well.

Message has been deleted

anthona

Jan 29, 2011, 4:41:26 PM1/29/11
On Jan 29, 4:27 pm, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <b6ef75b7-66d1-45da-95c8-02f962e86...@d12g2000vbz.googlegroups.com>,
> Those boxes aren't worth the cardboard they come in. Break open your
> wallet and buy modern LCD HD televisions. You'll probably make back the
> money is just power savings alone.

These are older crt tv sets and this is a frugal forum isn't it? why
should I throw away good tv sets cause the government made changes? As
frugal as i may be, i have a 55'' lcd hd tv for your information...i
am talking about bedroom and kitchen tv sets where a box is needed.

Al

Jan 29, 2011, 7:28:26 PM1/29/11

I hate to add more devices to your TV stream, but what would likely
clear up your picture is an antenna booster. You can buy something
like this for $10-30 or $1 at a garage sale. Only a small boost will
keep the signal up enough. You could also experiment with placing an
aluminum reflector near your antenna. This can be made by taking a
piece of cardboard and covering it with tin foil. Before you get done
your bedroom will look like Sanford and Son's back yard. I'm willing
to do these things to save a buck. When the old TVs go bad, I'll buy
something nice and new.

Sofa Slug

Jan 31, 2011, 4:22:46 PM1/31/11

Try this. It's cheap & works better than most indoor antenna setups:
<http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr92x4/Content/DTV_antenna.html>

If you want an amplifier, you might try one of these:
<http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/AMP-300/TV/FM-ANTENNA-AMPLIFIER/1.html>

m...@privacy.net

Jan 31, 2011, 5:53:19 PM1/31/11
Sofa Slug <sofa...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Try this. It's cheap & works better than most indoor antenna setups:
><http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr92x4/Content/DTV_antenna.html>
>
>If you want an amplifier, you might try one of these:
><http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/AMP-300/TV/FM-ANTENNA-AMPLIFIER/1.html>

Don't waste your time and money on the above

Get this instead

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=2

Gordon

Feb 1, 2011, 5:01:34 PM2/1/11
Sofa Slug <sofa...@invalid.invalid> wrote in

> Try this. It's cheap & works better than most indoor antenna setups:
> <http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resr92x4/Content/DTV_antenna.html>

Thanks for the plug. It's good to see that someone is finding
my efforts useful.

Message has been deleted