Anyone here have a digital projector?

OhioGuy

Dec 29, 2008, 11:31:01 AM12/29/08
I just bought an Optoma DLP projector. ($299 at Fry's) I've always
wanted one of these to watch the occasional movie on, but never went
ahead and bought one until now. It arrived this morning. Although the
literature says that the bulb should last 3,000 to 4,000 hours, the
warranty on the bulb is only 90 days, so I'm a little worried.

Considering the high cost of replacement bulbs (this one costs
roughly about the same as I paid new for the entire unit), I was
wondering if any of you folks out there who actually have owned one of
these things could give me suggestions on making it last?

In other words, do you have any tips for things I can do to make it
less likely that the bulb will fail early? The only idea I have so far
is to limit it to watching DVD's. (rather than regular TV)

When you've had your bulb fail, what caused it? I guess that could
help me know what to avoid.

Thanks!

skar...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 12:41:07 PM12/29/08
We don't have a DLP projector, but we have a DLP TV. Our TV is about 5
years old and we were also worried about the bulb at that time. The
original bulb in our TV is still working fine and it is still bright.
Our TV produces colorful and brighter pictures than many other HD
projection TVs owned by our friends.

We don't keep the TV on all day long even though it is the main TV (in
the living room). It is probably on for about 15 hours a week.

I think you should just enjoy your projector and not worry about the
bulb's life.

Gary Heston

Dec 30, 2008, 12:30:13 AM12/30/08

The big killer with projector bulbs is heat. Put it on a UPS so
that a power glitch or outage doesn't shut it down without its'
cool-down period.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody