100% Free Credit Reports is a joke

noel888

Mar 18, 2010, 9:16:39 AM3/18/10
They all say "Free" and yet they ask you to register, or take a trial
period of 7 days or a month and etc..just to get your credit score. I
thought this was suppose to be free. About 4 years ago, i did get it
for free , not questions asked, but lost the address of where i got it
from.

Bob F

Mar 18, 2010, 12:44:41 PM3/18/10

If they give it to you "no questions asked", anyone could get your credit
report. Is that what you want?

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 18, 2010, 1:01:57 PM3/18/10

terrable

Mar 18, 2010, 7:33:30 PM3/18/10

"noel888" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

A free credit report is not the same as a free credit score.

As another poster said just go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com

noel888

Mar 19, 2010, 9:23:49 AM3/19/10
On Mar 18, 7:33 pm, "terrable" <terra...@terrable.net> wrote:
> "noel888" <harri85...@aol.com> wrote in message

Well first of all what is the difference from a credit report and a
credit score? Also i went through all the info requested at that site
that was offered and denied their offer of something for 7.95 and
continued on to the link they recommended "go back to credit report".
Once there they asked me again if i wanted to choose another company
and if not, close your browser. I closed my browser and that was
it...I got zilched and they got my SSN and etc. what the heck is that
all about?

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 19, 2010, 1:15:06 PM3/19/10
On Mar 19, 9:23 am, noel888 <harri85...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 7:33 pm, "terrable" <terra...@terrable.net> wrote:
>
> > "noel888" <harri85...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > > They all say "Free" and yet they ask you to register, or take a trial
> > > period of 7 days or a month and etc..just to get your credit score. I
> > > thought this was suppose to be free. About 4 years ago, i did get it
> > > for free , not questions asked, but lost the address of where i got it
> > > from.
>
> > A free credit report is not the same as a free credit score.
>
> > As another poster said just go tohttp://www.annualcreditreport.com
>
> Well first of all what is the difference from a credit report and a
> credit score?

Your credit report is a document that shows all of your creditors,
most of your past creditors, and what your status is with them
(current, late, deadbeat, whatever). A relatively recent federal
law makes it possible for you to get a report once each year
for free.

A credit score is a "magic" number derived from your credit history
(and for all I know, your underwear size) that is used to determine
how risky it is to extend you credit. Because the algorithms used
to calculate this number are proprietary, they can charge you for
the credit score.

>Also i went through all the info requested at that site
> that was offered and denied their offer of something for 7.95 and
> continued on to the link they recommended "go back to credit report".
> Once there they asked me again if i wanted to choose another company
> and if not, close your browser. I closed my browser and that was
> it...I got zilched and they got my SSN and etc.  what the heck is that
> all about?

It means you are too impatient to work with their web site. And when
say "impatient," I mean it took me a few moments' thought to figure
out
how to say it nicely.

There are three credit reporting companies. You have to get the
report from each one of them separately. That's why it asked
if you would like to choose another company.

Perhaps you could go back to http://www.annualcreditreport.com and
try again, read everything carefully, and expect that at some point
you
will get a complex document displayed on your screen that you can
print.
You might not be able to get all three if they think you've already
got one,
although if I recall correctly you can access your report for a few
days
and it counts as one annual credit report.

Try this site for more information:
http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/debt-management/credit-report.htm

Clincher

Mar 19, 2010, 10:24:49 PM3/19/10

On Mar 18, 7:33 pm, "terrable" <terra...@terrable.net> wrote:
>> "noel888" <harri85...@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > They all say "Free" and yet they ask you to register, or take a trial
>> > period of 7 days or a month and etc..just to get your credit score. I
>> > thought this was suppose to be free. About 4 years ago, i did get it
>> > for free , not questions asked, but lost the address of where i got it
>> > from.
>>
>> A free credit report is not the same as a free credit score.
>>
>> As another poster said just go tohttp://www.annualcreditreport.com
>
>Well first of all what is the difference from a credit report and a
>credit score?

It's the difference between "supposed to be free" and not.

I assume you were thinking of the law that entitles consumers to one free
credit report per year from each credit reporting agency.

That law does not entitle you to a free credit score. Just the report. The
law's purpose is to help combat identity theft by encouraging consumers to
check for fraudulent accounts on their reports and challenge factually
inaccurate information. The score does not contribute to that objective so
it was rightfully excluded from the law. (It would also be impossibly
cumbersome as there are dozens, if not hundreds of scores, compared to a
small handful of credit reporting agencies.)

However, the credit bureaus and lots of other enterpreneuring scam artists
know that lots of consumers want their scores too so they dangle these
"free" reports as bait to "get you in the door" where they can sell you a
score or monitoring service.

noel888

Mar 20, 2010, 8:26:05 PM3/20/10

Yes, i only want my Free credit report...not interested in the credit
score. 4 years ago i got it and didn't have to apply to 3 different
areas, as they want you to do that now.