Re: OT: What is this called

The Real Bev

Oct 4, 2020, 11:43:44 PM10/4/20
On 10/04/2020 08:01 PM, Derald wrote:
> Picture a flat piece of wood trimmed into an equilateral triangle, say,
> 5 or 6 inches on a side (something at least easy to handle) and drilled
> on one side with a number of small evenly spaced blind holes in parallel
> rows into which small pegs (frequently golfball
> tees) may be inserted,the point of which is unknown to me. My
> questions, thenn are: What is such a device called (if it even has a
> generic name) and where may at least one be purchased?
> For the morbidly (and pointlessly) curious among you: I am
> recovering from not just one but two strokes that have seriously
> degraded my balance and coordination.

That sucks badly. How long ago did this happen?

> I'm hoping that regular sessions
> of trying to put the pegs into the holes might be beneficial.
> Thanks,

Googling turned up nothing useful. Got any woodworking friends? I
suspect that such a thing would be fairly easy to make. Use
readily-available "dowel pins" to insert in the holes.

Another possibility -- punch holes in lightweight cardboard and thread
shoelaces through the holes. Not my idea, but cheap and easy to construct.

OTOH, I suspect that typing is even better and produces something useful
-- like MCFL posts, for instance. Or knitting. Large short needles and
fat soft yarn. Requires coordination of a number of movements, but none
of them really complex or difficult and provides good finger exercise.

Good luck...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."

Bob F

Oct 5, 2020, 1:15:55 PM10/5/20
There are probably thing like that, on a larger scale, at toy stores.

Tools, like router or drill bits often come packaged in a plastic holder
along that line. Anything like that is the garage?

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I wish you well. May Ullr help in
your recovery.

b...@ripco.com

Oct 5, 2020, 1:57:42 PM10/5/20
Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:
> Picture a flat piece of wood trimmed into an equilateral triangle, say,
> 5 or 6 inches on a side (something at least easy to handle) and drilled
> on one side with a number of small evenly spaced blind holes in parallel
> rows into which small pegs (frequently golfball
> tees) may be inserted,the point of which is unknown to me. My
> questions, thenn are: What is such a device called (if it even has a
> generic name) and where may at least one be purchased?

You mean one of these things?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.joenord.com%2Fpuzzles%2Fpeggame%2F&psig=AOvVaw19CpCehunjq9H9ylDKQm9B&ust=1602006921914000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKC7if6CnuwCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAG

Else just google for "peg board games".

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

ItsJoan NotJoann

Oct 5, 2020, 2:40:49 PM10/5/20
On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 12:15:55 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

> > On 10/04/2020 08:01 PM, Derald wrote:
> >
> >> Picture a flat piece of wood trimmed into an equilateral triangle, say,
> >> 5 or 6 inches on a side (something at least easy to handle) and drilled
> >> on one side with a number of small evenly spaced blind holes in parallel
> >> rows into which small pegs (frequently golfball
> >> tees) may be inserted,the point of which is unknown to me. My
> >> questions, thenn are: What is such a device called (if it even has a
> >> generic name) and where may at least one be purchased?
> >> For the morbidly (and pointlessly) curious among you: I am
> >> recovering from not just one but two strokes that have seriously
> >> degraded my balance and coordination.
> >
> There are probably thing like that, on a larger scale, at toy stores.

Ooooh, sorry to hear of the health problem. Here's hoping you have a speedy
recovery!!

What you are describing is a pegboard game. If you ever get to go to a Cracker
Barrel restaurant you will see these on every table. It's to keep you and/or the
kids occupied while awaiting your food to be served. The ones they have on
the table all have little sayings telling you how smart or how dumb you are by
the number of pegs you have left at the end of the game. Of course, the object
of the game is to jump each peg in a row, and once jumped the peg is removed.

https://i.postimg.cc/RZsBxJgz/Peg-Board.jpg

If there are Cracker Barrel restaurants where you live I'm pretty sure this game
can be bought there.

The Real Bev

Oct 5, 2020, 4:34:25 PM10/5/20
On 10/05/2020 12:48 PM, Derald wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>That sucks badly. How long ago did this happen?
> yes, it do. August '18 and January this year

Improvement happens WAYYYYY too slow :-( The good thing is that it
actually happens!

> Thanks for the tips. Presently, I sort coins and small pins from
> one of those pill dispenser dealies. I type, after a fashion. I fasten
> and remove various sizes of nuts to–from bolts. I unclip and relocate
> clothespins. "Progress" has been slow; especially so since the second
> "event".

A friend's mom had a stroke. Fortunately she was a person who followed
the PT guru's instructions religiously and her son was amazed at her
improvement. The pathways reform...

> I another life, I was an accomplished pianist but haven't, so far,
> develiped the nerve (or the will) to confront a keyboard recently.

No hurry, I think. That requires a lot more coordination than NORMAL
people have!

> Hell, I'm just trying to supress the tremors enough to work on the car.
> You should see me tying shoes :)

You work on your car now? Wow. That seems a lot harder than the
pegboard thing...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces

Bob F

Oct 5, 2020, 5:37:34 PM10/5/20
On 10/4/2020 8:01 PM, Derald wrote:
> Picture a flat piece of wood trimmed into an equilateral triangle, say,
> 5 or 6 inches on a side (something at least easy to handle) and drilled
> on one side with a number of small evenly spaced blind holes in parallel
> rows into which small pegs (frequently golfball
> tees) may be inserted,the point of which is unknown to me. My
> questions, thenn are: What is such a device called (if it even has a
> generic name) and where may at least one be purchased?
> For the morbidly (and pointlessly) curious among you: I am
> recovering from not just one but two strokes that have seriously
> degraded my balance and coordination. I'm hoping that regular sessions
> of trying to put the pegs into the holes might be beneficial.
> Thanks,

If you want some good reading about how the brain rebuilds pathways, I
highly recommend the books "The Brain That Changes Itself" and "The
Brain’s Way of Healing" by Norman Doidge. I found them both fascinating.
IIRC, the second book had more about stroke damage recovery.

Bob F

Oct 5, 2020, 8:57:42 PM10/5/20
On 10/5/2020 4:33 PM, Derald wrote:
> Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If you want some good reading about how the brain rebuilds pathways, I
>> highly recommend the books "The Brain That Changes Itself" and "The
>> Brain’s Way of Healing" by Norman Doidge. I found them both fascinating.
>> IIRC, the second book had more about stroke damage recovery.
> Thanks for the recommendaton. I shall look for them in the local
> libraries. I exercise daily to maintain some semblance of
> cardiovascular fitness (although I already host a ICD
> pacemaker/defibrillator) and muscle mass. I stopped the physical
> therapy when no one could explain the perceived benefits of 15 minutes
> of not particularly strenuous exercise once weekly. The occupational
> therapist bailed at the start of the covid-19 paranoia.

I was doing a PT "silly putty" exercise as I read this post, working my
left thumb out to strengthen it and to try to reverse the arthritis in
it that made it next to useless. I couldn't ever use a fingernail
clipper with it before the PT started. Now no pain at all from that but
still pretty limited, but slowly getting better. Sometimes, PT's are way
more helpful than doctors. I wondered about the PT for the thump at the
beginning, which was mostly manual manipulation of my thumb and a period
of small weight exercise of my wrists and arms, but saw significant
improvement within a few weeks of twice/week.

I also have had a pacemaker for a couple decades, but mine is only for
emergencies. It hardly ever fires. I've been exercising aerobically (HR
120-140) for 40-90 minutes most days since the shutdowns began, to make
up for the other activities I cannot do now. Love those free exercise
machines from freecycle and Craigslist.

The Real Bev

Oct 6, 2020, 12:56:44 AM10/6/20
On 10/05/2020 04:33 PM, Derald wrote:
> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>A friend's mom had a stroke. Fortunately she was a person who followed
>>the PT guru's instructions religiously and her son was amazed at her
>>improvement. The pathways reform...
> the physical therapy was basically time wasted. Occupational
> therapy was productive but cut short, the result of covid-19 paranoia.
> I still have and use informative and instructional materials from that
> encounter.

It depends on the practitioner, the diagnosis and the will of the
patient. The best I've ever had is two out of three :-(

>>> Hell, I'm just trying to supress the tremors enough to work on the car.
>>> You should see me tying shoes :)
>>
>>You work on your car now? Wow. That seems a lot harder than the
>>pegboard thing...
> I work on the car now, after a fashion. In younger days, I'd
> tackle major automotive repairs but nowadays I'm limited to routine
> maintenance chores (oil and filter changes,brake pads, drive belt,etc.).

I'm impressed.

> Wife&I drive a 31 y/o midsize Mercedes-Benz that I hope to make last
> until electric vehicles are more practical, if not ubiquitous.

Glad it's not a GM product. My mom's '88 Eldorado tried to kill me
several times (self-actuating throttle), but I got even.

> Fortunately we have two well-qualified repair shops within just a few
> miles.

:-)

--
Cheers,Bev
"It is a matter of regret that many low, mean suspicions

The Real Bev

Oct 6, 2020, 1:04:22 AM10/6/20
On 10/05/2020 04:33 PM, Derald wrote:
> Bob F <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>If you want some good reading about how the brain rebuilds pathways, I
>>highly recommend the books "The Brain That Changes Itself" and "The
>>Brain’s Way of Healing" by Norman Doidge. I found them both fascinating.
>>IIRC, the second book had more about stroke damage recovery.
> Thanks for the recommendaton. I shall look for them in the local
> libraries. I exercise daily to maintain some semblance of
> cardiovascular fitness (although I already host a ICD
> pacemaker/defibrillator) and muscle mass. I stopped the physical
> therapy when no one could explain the perceived benefits of 15 minutes
> of not particularly strenuous exercise once weekly.

I think they're afraid you won't come back if they make you actually
WORK. The place I liked repaired at least ONE Santa Anita jockey, and
the guy gave me serious stuff to do. Unfortunately the problem was a
hip that needed replacement and no matter how clever the PT guy was, PT
couldn't fix that. Still, I think a place that deals with repairing
athletes rather than 'normals' is the way to go.

I bought a cheap set of rubber exercise bands from ebay. Since the gyms
are closed now we have to improvise. They're certainly good enough for
arm-building, and you can stack them together.

> The occupational
> therapist bailed at the start of the covid-19 paranoia.

One session and printed instructions are probably good enough; we're
grownups, we don't need to be told GOOD JOB!

The Real Bev

Oct 8, 2020, 3:24:25 PM10/8/20
On 10/08/2020 09:20 AM, Derald wrote:

> Well, I'm not talking about Chopin or Beethoven; just basic scales
> and, eventually, chords. Just like a beginner. Regardless of "key" the
> intervals and fingering are the same and the repetitive motions are
> important to strengthening the fingers and "teaching" them to play
> without looking. The same is not exactly true of typing where certain
> key combinations are assigned to individual fingers.

They talk about 'muscle memory', and maybe it's true. Dirt motorcycling
requires you to coordinate all four extremities plus your body for
balance, with your right hand sometimes being used to simultaneously
brake and throttle. After not having done it for perhaps 20 years, I
found that my reactions were just the same as they had been before. The
bad news was that I hadn't cleaned the carb well enough and the bike
kept stalling at low speed. That was the last time I rode

Long ago I read 'Inner Tennis' and 'Inner Skiing'. The entire premise:
Distract your conscious mind from the task you're doing -- recite
poetry or add numbers or count backwards or something. It seemed to be
true for those, as well as dirt riding -- when I couldn't actually see
the trail (dark, one headlight among us, narrow mountain trail) I rode
much better than if I'd been able to see.

Any chance that might be useful?

I would love to be able to make music and envy people who can do it.
The bad news is that I have really piss-poor small muscle control and a
five-note singing range (all of them wrong). PERSEVERE!

--
Cheers, Bev
All bleeding eventually stops.

Dennis

Oct 14, 2020, 4:19:58 PM10/14/20
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 22:04:15 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>One session and printed instructions are probably good enough; we're
>grownups, we don't need to be told GOOD JOB!

When I had physical therapy for my busted up foot, the thing that kept
me coming back was when, at the end of the workout, the cute young
physical therapist would ice down my foot and then massage it in her
lap. :-)

Dennis (evil)

The Real Bev

Oct 14, 2020, 4:52:11 PM10/14/20
On 10/14/2020 01:19 PM, Dennis wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 22:04:15 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>One session and printed instructions are probably good enough; we're
>>grownups, we don't need to be told GOOD JOB!
>
> When I had physical therapy for my busted up foot, the thing that kept
> me coming back was when, at the end of the workout, the cute young
> physical therapist would ice down my foot and then massage it in her
> lap. :-)

That's a different sort of therapy. My last therapist was a skinny
woman maybe 8 months pregnant.

I'd much rather hear "Damn, that WORKED!"

--
Cheers, Bev
"When your enemies are making mistakes, don't interrupt them."

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 29, 2020, 9:21:21 PM10/29/20
On Sun, 04 Oct 2020 23:01:53 -0400, Derald <der...@invalid.net> wrote:

>Picture a flat piece of wood trimmed into an equilateral triangle, say,
>5 or 6 inches on a side (something at least easy to handle) and drilled
>on one side with a number of small evenly spaced blind holes in parallel
>rows into which small pegs (frequently golfball
>tees) may be inserted,the point of which is unknown to me. My
>questions, thenn are: What is such a device called (if it even has a
>generic name) and where may at least one be purchased?
> For the morbidly (and pointlessly) curious among you: I am
>recovering from not just one but two strokes that have seriously
>degraded my balance and coordination. I'm hoping that regular sessions
>of trying to put the pegs into the holes might be beneficial.
>Thanks,

The good news is you are recovering.

I might have mentioned in the past that I long ago failed the post office exam
on mail sorting. It'll be a snap for you to get better than me at putting pegs
precisely in holes.

(That sounds like a very masculine activity. I wonder if women try to aim the
hole so it hits the peg?)

Be well, my friend.

Beaver Fever

Nov 30, 2020, 9:59:47 PM11/30/20
Dude, you're still here! I would give anything (except breaking my foot) for someone to do that to me without either of us worrying about "where this is going."

Now I can't even go to the foot massage place for fear of plague. :(

Beaver Fever

Nov 30, 2020, 10:26:40 PM11/30/20
Several years of sitting on my ass for work and then working nearly every waking moment have taken their toll .

I lost 40 lbs in a few months initially. Various routines involving exercise bikes and resistance bands but several months straight of running to the top of the 2500 elevation ridge near my home at dawn on an empty stomach which just melted weight off. My knees suddenly aching and the cold weather was severely demotivating. On top of that I think my heart is breaking so I am eating comfort food and watching YouTube. Haven't been outside in several days.

The good news is after 8 months of "vacation" there are indications I might start seeing cash flow again so I am ready to start working. Not sure if I want to work as hard as I did the last several years though.

Beaver Fever

Dec 1, 2020, 2:15:55 AM12/1/20
I really wanna try hydergine. Trying to get my mom or dad to tell their doctors to give it to them.