Possible to buy a GOOD laptop?

hohum

Jun 18, 2019, 10:09:31 PM6/18/19
Wondering if it's possible to buy a GOOD laptop, that is good for 10 years,
for 1000 USD? Last one I had like that was a Compaq with all the latest
bells and whistles. It lasted over 10 years, but cost like $3000.

John Weiss

Jun 19, 2019, 9:11:20 AM6/19/19
Yes. You can buy a good laptop for $800 these days. If you don't drop
it, it should last 10 years.

tra...@optonline.net

Jun 19, 2019, 5:29:57 PM6/19/19
There are plenty for half that price, unless you want an Apple. If you're
just using it mostly for the web and similar, I'd be looking in that
range. I find myself using my phone a lot more than the PC. Which
is one reason PC sales peaked years ago.

hohum

Jun 20, 2019, 2:46:21 PM6/20/19
John Weiss <jrweis...@comcast.net> wrote in
Yes, if you keep it in the closet. Average life of laptop these days is
1-3 years before needing repairs.

hohum

Jun 20, 2019, 2:46:22 PM6/20/19
John Weiss <jrweis...@comcast.net> wrote in

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jun 20, 2019, 2:51:14 PM6/20/19
On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 1:46:21 PM UTC-5, hohum wrote:

> John Weiss <jrweis...@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Yes. You can buy a good laptop for $800 these days. If you don't
> > drop it, it should last 10 years.
> >

> Yes, if you keep it in the closet. Average life of laptop these days is
> 1-3 years before needing repairs.

I've been lucky; I average about 5-7 years on mine. Now that I've bragged
on the length of time mine lasts it will die for sure tomorrow!

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2019, 2:58:03 AM6/23/19

hohum

Jun 23, 2019, 6:56:58 AM6/23/19
gggg...@gmail.com wrote in
sorry but if you check all the research data on laptops, the average
lifespan before needing repairs is about 1-3 years. They are commercial
JUNK, built to fail and make you buy a new one. That is why I have
concluded that only the data is valuable, the machine is a throw away.

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2019, 11:13:56 PM6/23/19
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 4:09:31 PM UTC-10, hohum wrote:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-laptop-deals,news-30410.html

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2020, 11:36:06 AM6/21/20

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2020, 4:22:44 PM6/21/20

ItsJoan NotJoann

Jun 21, 2020, 6:35:20 PM6/21/20
I guess we can expect another report on buying laptops NEXT year as well.
Going for a record?

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2020, 3:39:08 PM6/24/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/21296102/best-chromebooks

John Weiss

Jun 24, 2020, 3:57:59 PM6/24/20
A Chromebook is not a true laptop. It requires an Internet connection
to do almost anything, because it is tied to cloud-based apps.

I bought a Lenovo Flex 4-1580 at Costco for about $800 4 years ago, and
it's still going strong.

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2020, 12:20:44 AM6/25/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://hackaday.com/2020/06/24/netbooks-the-next-generation-chromebooks/

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2020, 6:39:31 PM6/25/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://www.engadget.com/lenovo-flex-5-chromebook-review-170023587.html

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2020, 12:19:17 AM6/27/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/26/the-best-cheap-chromebooks-for-working-from-home/

gggg...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2020, 11:02:45 AM6/28/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lenovo-chromebook-c340-sale-210945986.html

gggg...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2020, 3:33:51 PM7/1/20
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 7:09:31 PM UTC-7, hohum wrote:
https://www.engadget.com/best-chromebooks-160054646.html

gggg...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2020, 5:51:52 PM7/4/20