network newborn needs help envisioning basic setup for cable internet

1 view

Ohioguy

Nov 4, 2010, 11:48:14 AM11/4/10
I've got some computer hardware experience - an old CompTIA A+
hardware certification, some experience building PC's. (I think about 8
total so far, and another for my sister in the near future) However,
I've always had dialup, and my network experience is limited to a cat5
cable I did between 2 PC's at home, so I could watch videos across my
own little network. (oh, and I guess I did set up a problematic
Bluetooth 'network' using 2 Bluetooth dongles, once)

Anyway, I signed up for Earthlink cable internet recently. It has
DSL speeds (~700k/sec.) for $30 a month. I can upgrade to 7 times that
fast for another $12 a month later if I want. This will be running over
Time Warner's cable internet system, and I believe that Time Warner
cable people will run the wires, etc.

I'm just not sure if what they would (by default) set me up with
would meet all of my needs.

My primary goal is to get rid of my old phone line after this is set
up. My secondary goal is to have wireless internet available to any
laptop, tablet PC, or desktop PC that I set up in the house. I have
identified a good, central location of the house and am currently trying
to add a wall outlet there, as well as a shelf for the network
components. Eventually, all of that would be hidden behind a painting,
or whatever.

Here's what I WANT to do. Question is, is this possible?

I'd like it set up without any PC needing to be up on the shelf. In
other words, I think I need a cable modem, a wireless voip router, and
something like a Cisco PAP2T to do what I want.

Can I simply hook the cable modem up to the cable internet, hook the
802.11n voip Router up to the cable modem, and then the Cisco PAP2T up
to the router? I believe that is the basic setup I need up on that
shelf. If that would work, then I can log on to the wireless router and
configure it with a laptop wirelessly.

Am I overlooking something? I'm hoping I can do everything
wirelessly using this setup.

I tried using this:

http://www.belkin.com/wizards.html

to see what I'd need, but it assumes that I'll have a PC, and it also
ended up recommending just a USB dongle. I want this to work even if I
only have an Android tablet in the house, and no laptops or PC's
present. (though I'll probably be using it wirelessly with at least 1
laptop occasionally, and 1 desktop) The telephone angle will probably
be done by having a Panasonic wireless DECT base unit hooked up to the
PAP2T, with 2 or 3 phones around the house.

Are there potential headaches I need to address with this? Are there
questions I need to ask about any of the equipment that Time Warner
would want me to use? Do I need to reject anything they would want me
to be using, and only use my own hardware?

One thing that bugs me when I shop for routers is that they say
thinks like that they require a system with Windows XP or better. What
is up with that? Are they implying that if I'm running only an Android
tablet or a Linux palmtop, I can't use said router for my wireless only
setup? I'm confused.

Thanks for any
suggestions!

Ohioguy

Nov 4, 2010, 11:49:27 AM11/4/10
Oops, sorry - posted to wrong newsgroup by mistake!

Rod Speed

Nov 4, 2010, 3:09:47 PM11/4/10
Ohioguy wrote:

> I've got some computer hardware experience - an old CompTIA A+
> hardware certification, some experience building PC's. (I think about
> 8 total so far, and another for my sister in the near future)

> However, I've always had dialup, and my network experience is limited
> to a cat5 cable I did between 2 PC's at home, so I could watch videos
> across my own little network. (oh, and I guess I did set up a
> problematic Bluetooth 'network' using 2 Bluetooth dongles, once)

> Anyway, I signed up for Earthlink cable internet recently. It has
> DSL speeds (~700k/sec.) for $30 a month. I can upgrade to 7 times
> that fast for another $12 a month later if I want. This will be
> running over Time Warner's cable internet system, and I believe that
> Time Warner cable people will run the wires, etc.

> I'm just not sure if what they would (by default) set me up with would meet all of my needs.

> My primary goal is to get rid of my old phone line after this is set up.

That should be feasible, but is more likely to produce some glitches.

> My secondary goal is to have wireless internet available to any
> laptop, tablet PC, or desktop PC that I set up in the house. I have
> identified a good, central location of the house and am currently
> trying to add a wall outlet there, as well as a shelf for the network
> components. Eventually, all of that would be hidden behind a
> painting, or whatever.

> Here's what I WANT to do. Question is, is this possible?

Yes.

> I'd like it set up without any PC needing to be up on the shelf. In other words, I think I need a cable modem, a
> wireless voip router, and something like a Cisco PAP2T to do what I want.

Yes, that approach does work fine, but limits the speed between the devices a bit.

> Can I simply hook the cable modem up to the cable internet, hook the 802.11n voip Router up to the cable modem, and
> then the Cisco PAP2T up to the router?

Its certainly possible to do that. Whether you personally can do it is another matter.

> I believe that is the basic setup I need up on that shelf.

Yes. And if it isnt, its certainly possible to have that there.

> If that would work, then I can log on to the wireless router and configure it with a laptop wirelessly.

Most do the most basic initial config with a cat5 between the laptop and the router.

No big deal tho, you only do that once.

> Am I overlooking something?

Just with the initial setup.

> I'm hoping I can do everything wirelessly using this setup.

Yes you can.

> I tried using this:

> http://www.belkin.com/wizards.html

> to see what I'd need, but it assumes that I'll have a PC, and it also ended up recommending just a USB dongle.

Its actually better to have the wireless built in with laptops,
that way you get the antenna in the lid and a better range etc.

> I want this to work even if I only have an Android tablet in the house, and no laptops or PC's present.

That will work fine after the initial config.

> (though I'll probably be using it wirelessly with at least 1 laptop occasionally, and 1 desktop)

Yeah, it is better to have alternative devices if only
for when the Android tablet is misbehaving etc.

With a config like that, its not ideal that everything must be working at all times.

> The telephone angle will probably be done by having a Panasonic wireless DECT base unit hooked up to the PAP2T, with 2
> or 3 phones around the house.

Yeah, that works fine, its the config I use myself.

> Are there potential headaches I need to address with this?

Not really.

> Are there questions I need to ask about any of the equipment that Time Warner would want me to use?

Dunno about that aspect of it.

> Do I need to reject anything they would want me to be using, and only use my own hardware?

Likely not, just ignore it.

> One thing that bugs me when I shop for routers is that they say
> thinks like that they require a system with Windows XP or better. What is up with that?

Its just a simplification for the stupids.

> Are they implying that if I'm running only an Android tablet or a Linux palmtop, I can't use said router for my
> wireless only setup?

Nope, particularly if you know what you are doing. They just mean
that if you want to ring them up for support, they may not be able
to help you if you only have one of those to do the config with.

> I'm confused.

You'll be even more confused when you come to set it up.

Message has been deleted

John Weiss

Nov 4, 2010, 5:03:59 PM11/4/10
Ohioguy wrote:

First, I'd stay away from Belkin. Netgear or D-Link would be much
better for 802.1N routers. If you are going strictly wireless, it will
be worth your while to get a dual-band N router. Maximum PC likes the
Netgear WNDR3700
(http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/netgear_rangemax_wndr3700).

Are you getting digital phone service from the cable company, or
relying strictly on Vonage (or similar) plus Skype (or similar)? If
you get the digital cable phone service, you shouldn't need any
adapters because the cable company will give you a modem that has the
phone interface, which ties directly into your existing phone lines via
any RJ11 outlet. Your router will plug right into that modem via
Ethernet cable.

NO router should require a particular operating system. The web-based
configuration/setup should work from any mainstream browser running on
any OS.

Gary Heston

Nov 4, 2010, 8:09:32 PM11/4/10
In article <JBAAo.3557$pp4....@newsfe03.iad>, Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote:
[ ... ]

> Here's what I WANT to do. Question is, is this possible?

> I'd like it set up without any PC needing to be up on the shelf. In
>other words, I think I need a cable modem, a wireless voip router, and
>something like a Cisco PAP2T to do what I want.

> Can I simply hook the cable modem up to the cable internet, hook the
>802.11n voip Router up to the cable modem, and then the Cisco PAP2T up
>to the router? I believe that is the basic setup I need up on that
>shelf. If that would work, then I can log on to the wireless router and
>configure it with a laptop wirelessly.

I think that's basically it.

> Am I overlooking something? I'm hoping I can do everything
>wirelessly using this setup.

[ ... ]
First thing you do with that wireless router is log in to the config
page and secure it--change the password, block external access, turn
on the strongest encryption it has, enable and configure the firewall,
anything else it'll let you do. Do this _before_ plugging it into the
cable modem. Your password should be long and complex, and written on
a note stuck to the bottom of the router.

I also second the recommendation to not use Belkin. I use some Belkin
"pro" KVM switches at work that I curse daily; every time I switch
channels, the mouse goes berserk.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Assange: Australian for terrorist.

The Real Bev

Nov 4, 2010, 10:29:17 PM11/4/10

Hrm. I finally just used separate meese for the linux and windows
machines -- my KVM switch didn't seem happy either. Minor point,
though -- the KB and VM are the important parts.

--
Cheers, Bev
(On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other