Not hard brown sugar, but white granulized

noel888

Jul 31, 2010, 3:45:39 PM7/31/10
I purchased this 5 lb granulized sugar about 2 or 3 weeks ago..sale
price. It was normal then. Yesterday i had to use it for the first
time and i took it out of the pantry and it was hard as a rock. Now i
heard something about microwaves and brown sugar...does it apply to
white sugar as well? I really don't see the difference. But this is a
5 pound bag...hate to put it in the micro like that...it would
probably burst and not knowing what readings one should set it at also.

imascot

Jul 31, 2010, 6:05:01 PM7/31/10
noel888 <harri...@aol.com> wrote in news:36eb098c-3f85-4f38-a3fa-
051c66...@g35g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Google is your friend:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BrownSugar.htm

.

noel888

Jul 31, 2010, 6:16:36 PM7/31/10
On Jul 31, 6:05 pm, imascot <im...@mycomputer.now> wrote:
> noel888 <harri85...@aol.com> wrote in news:36eb098c-3f85-4f38-a3fa-
> 051c6655a...@g35g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> > I purchased this 5 lb granulized sugar about 2 or 3 weeks ago..sale
> > price. It was normal then. Yesterday i had to use it for the first
> > time and i took it out of the pantry and it was hard as a rock. Now i
> > heard something about microwaves and brown sugar...does it apply to
> > white sugar as well? I really don't see the difference. But this is a
> > 5 pound bag...hate to put it in the micro like that...it would
> > probably burst and not knowing what readings one should set it at also.
>
> Google is your friend:http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BrownSugar.htm
>
> .

google denied me LOL

The Henchman

Jul 31, 2010, 10:15:33 PM7/31/10

"imascot" <im...@mycomputer.now> wrote in message

The question was regarding white sugar.

My mother taught me to soften brown sugar place a slice of bread in the bag
or in the container for a few days.

The Henchman

Jul 31, 2010, 10:26:07 PM7/31/10

"noel888" <harri...@aol.com> wrote in message

White Sugar hardens because moisture is introduced. Brown sugar gets hard
because it loses moisture That is how white sugar used to be sold in the
olden days. Big huge lumps that you chipped away at.

Your best bet is the smash the pieces using a meat tenderizer or even use a
blender. At this point only do a 1/2 lb when needed.

Never introduce moisture to white sugar or icing sugar to soften. Always
introduce moisture to brown sugar to soften.

John Savage

Aug 1, 2010, 3:35:56 AM8/1/10
noel888 <harri...@aol.com> writes:
>I purchased this 5 lb granulized sugar about 2 or 3 weeks ago..sale
>price. It was normal then. Yesterday i had to use it for the first
>time and i took it out of the pantry and it was hard as a rock. Now i
>heard something about microwaves and brown sugar...does it apply to
>white sugar as well?

Evidently not.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ftfeb03.htm

".... Brown sugar becomes hard when the moisture in it has evaporated ...."

now contrast this with

".... When white granulated sugar absorbs moisture, it becomes hard ...."

and goes on to suggest for white sugar:-

"Put hard sugar in a sturdy food-quality bag and pound it with a hammer,
meat pounder or flat side of a meat mallet."

So, got a sledge hammer? ... and a hubby to swing it?? :-)

You'll probably find that, once you break through the hard outer crust
of the sugar lump, that the inside is soft and easily crumbles. I'm
guessing that you've had humid or rainy weather, or the room where you
stored the sugar is damp or humid?

I think I'd tie the bag of sugar inside a couple more plastic bags, and
try dropping it onto a few sheets of newpaper spread across the concrete
carport floor, from increasing heights, until it starts to break up a
bit.

I'd expect that heating hard white sugar would tend to melt it into
something like caramel or toffee, not exactly what you seek.

I'm sceptical of the methods that add even more moisture to the sugar,
but they are so simple that maybe worth trying and seeing what happens.
They suggest adding a slice of bread, or an unpeeled apple, to the bag
of sugar for a week. (I guess if no softening, then resort to the heavy-
handed method. :-))

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080923111153AAIkRaL

Good luck.

The Henchman

Aug 1, 2010, 12:43:37 PM8/1/10

> I'm sceptical of the methods that add even more moisture to the sugar,
> but they are so simple that maybe worth trying and seeing what happens.
> They suggest adding a slice of bread, or an unpeeled apple, to the bag
> of sugar for a week. (I guess if no softening, then resort to the heavy-
> handed method. :-))

Adding moisture works with brown sugar only because of the molasses
content. I've used bread for years, as did my mother and grandmother :).
I've never added moisture to white sugar. I don't think you are supposed
to.

Aug 1, 2010, 3:12:19 PM8/1/10

"John Savage" <rook...@suburbian.com.au> wrote in message

Or...just drop a few grains of uncooked rice in the bag. It will absorb all
the moisture. You see it in diners all the time in the sugar and shakers. I
thought everyone knew this.

Yes, you will need to smash up the hardened lump first, but then you'll be
all set.

Aug 1, 2010, 3:32:27 PM8/1/10

"h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message

> Or...just drop a few grains of uncooked rice in the bag. It will absorb
> all the moisture. You see it in diners all the time in the sugar and sale

Aug 1, 2010, 3:36:03 PM8/1/10

> "h" <tmc...@searchmachine.com> wrote in message
>> Or...just drop a few grains of uncooked rice in the bag. It will absorb
>> all the moisture. You see it in diners all the time in the sugar and salt

The Real Bev

Aug 2, 2010, 12:31:53 AM8/2/10
On 07/31/10 19:15, The Henchman wrote:

> My mother taught me to soften brown sugar place a slice of bread in the bag
> or in the container for a few days.

Mine favored wrapping a wet paper towel loosely in aluminum foil and
placing it in the BS container. Works for raisins, too. The clear
plastic containers that Costco-size stuff comes in are perfect for
storing stuff that normally comes in coardboard containers.

--
Cheers, Bev
While in high school, we were encouraged to keep a daily journal.