Locksets

The Real Bev

Sep 10, 2013, 1:43:06 PM9/10/13
So I finally got around to buying new entry locks for our front and back
doors. Stupid new ones require a bigger hole because they've installed
some sort of protective shield around the works, requiring me to remove
the thingy that goes into the doorframe and drill out the hole in the
door with a bigger holesaw -- 2-1/8". I really don't want to do this
unless I have to. Not easy to use a holesaw when there's ALREADY A BIG
HOLE IN THE DOOR.

Is this some sort of modern requirement or can I choose which hole size
I want if I buy an expensive lockset?

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mrs Irish Mike

Sep 10, 2013, 5:35:04 PM9/10/13
You have to make the hole bigger. They really don't make locksets for 1 1/2" boreholes. There is a kit made for drilling the hole in the right place. Best to have a friendly relationship with an Ace Hardware store, or other small box retailer.

Best option is return the lockset and call around for a locksmith to do the work. They have the right tools.

Vandy Terre

Sep 10, 2013, 6:24:02 PM9/10/13
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:43:06 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So I finally got around to buying new entry locks for our front and back
>doors. Stupid new ones require a bigger hole because they've installed
>some sort of protective shield around the works, requiring me to remove
>the thingy that goes into the doorframe and drill out the hole in the
>door with a bigger holesaw -- 2-1/8". I really don't want to do this
>unless I have to. Not easy to use a holesaw when there's ALREADY A BIG
>HOLE IN THE DOOR.
>
>Is this some sort of modern requirement or can I choose which hole size
>I want if I buy an expensive lockset?

I usually take the size of the hole in the door and depth of door information
with me to the hardware store and use it to find what will fit. (Plunge
neckline mini dress will help in cases, LOL....)

Sep 10, 2013, 7:46:10 PM9/10/13
On 9/10/2013 1:43 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> So I finally got around to buying new entry locks for our front and back
> doors. Stupid new ones require a bigger hole because they've installed
> some sort of protective shield around the works, requiring me to remove
> the thingy that goes into the doorframe and drill out the hole in the
> door with a bigger holesaw -- 2-1/8". I really don't want to do this
> unless I have to. Not easy to use a holesaw when there's ALREADY A BIG
> HOLE IN THE DOOR.

No, not easy. Get an installation kit like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Door-Lock-Installation-Kit-D180004/202248712#.Ui-tNtJJ5uI

With that said, I don't own one.

> Is this some sort of modern requirement or can I choose which hole size
> I want if I buy an expensive lockset?

2.125" seems to be the standard.

A visit to a real locksmith might be in order as they would have stock
the big box store doesn't. I get the feeling they make most of their
money these days from drilling out back deposit boxes for people who
lost both keys. They might appreciate a change.

Gary Heston

Sep 10, 2013, 8:42:59 PM9/10/13
In article <l0nlna$4pt$1...@dont-email.me>,
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>So I finally got around to buying new entry locks for our front and back
>doors. Stupid new ones require a bigger hole because they've installed
>some sort of protective shield around the works, requiring me to remove
>the thingy that goes into the doorframe and drill out the hole in the
>door with a bigger holesaw -- 2-1/8". I really don't want to do this
>unless I have to. Not easy to use a holesaw when there's ALREADY A BIG
>HOLE IN THE DOOR.
[ ... ]

Get a block that will fit in the large hole and is as thick as the door,
attach the block to a board or piece of plywood and attach this assembly
to one side of the door with a couple of screws. Draw a crosshair on the
block in the center of the hole and use that as your drill guide.

Gary

The Real Bev

Sep 11, 2013, 2:18:16 AM9/11/13
Thank you, guys.

He tried a number of things which didn't work. What did work was having
the BIL borrow a jig from a friend and just bore out the new hole with
the accessory holesaw. A little tweaking (hours, not minutes) to deal
with the fact that the original contractor did everything he possibly
could to make stuff NOT fit properly, and the $25/pair Brinks (Walmart)
locks were installed.

Much prettier and require much less jiggling to lock/unlock them.

Anybody know when they changed the Official Hole Size? I know I put in
the ones that we just replaced within the last 39 years, but that's
about as accurate as I can get.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 13, 2013, 4:58:23 AM9/13/13
I don't believe that there was an official size before the 2 1/8
current. The old doors I've dealt with have been all over the map.More here:

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/article_info.php?articles_id=33

bob haller

Sep 15, 2013, 8:58:45 AM9/15/13
get a touch pad lock they cost about a 100 bucks but are so convenient you wouldnt ever want to use a regular lock again. although they have a key in case the electronic lock fails.

the best thing i ever did here was that lock

Shoe-Chucker 2

Sep 17, 2013, 2:04:39 PM9/17/13
In article <l0nlna$4pt$1...@dont-email.me>,
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So I finally got around to buying new entry locks for our front and back
> doors. Stupid new ones require a bigger hole because they've installed
> some sort of protective shield around the works, requiring me to remove
> the thingy that goes into the doorframe and drill out the hole in the
> door with a bigger holesaw -- 2-1/8". I really don't want to do this
> unless I have to. Not easy to use a holesaw when there's ALREADY A BIG
> HOLE IN THE DOOR.
>
> Is this some sort of modern requirement or can I choose which hole size
> I want if I buy an expensive lockset?

And for the security. Hang the door to swing out. that way the whole
door is braced / supported all the way around , Not just the small area
where the lock is.
Just in case someone tries to kick the door in.
And; good luck.
--
Karma ; what a concept!

The Real Bev

Sep 17, 2013, 3:04:36 PM9/17/13
BIL borrowed a jig from a friend -- made the new hole easily. Door
swings inward and has done so for 5 0 years. So far, so good.

--
Cheers,
Bev

imascot

Sep 18, 2013, 4:51:35 PM9/18/13
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On 09/17/2013 11:04 AM, Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:
>

>> And for the security. Hang the door to swing out. that way the whole
>> door is braced / supported all the way around , Not just the small
>> area where the lock is.
>> Just in case someone tries to kick the door in.

One caveat about switching the door hang: it's code here to have a minmum
of three feet of flooring or some sort of deck under the swinging door,
outward from the door frame.

J.

Bob F

Sep 21, 2013, 12:36:05 AM9/21/13
And use security hinges that cannot be released with the door closed.

Sep 21, 2013, 7:13:38 PM9/21/13
And hope it never snows more than an inch or two.

I think a strong door and frame are enough. I've got an old inward
opening door here that the fire department had to chop out of the frame,
the fire was next door. I've seen enough break ins to realize that
nothing is a complete deterrent other than post facto burglar elimination.

Jeff

Shoe-Chucker 2

Sep 29, 2013, 1:27:38 PM9/29/13
In article <l1j7o3$jga$1...@dont-email.me>, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
wrote:
and protect the locking area from prying . Of course you have no large
windows in the door near the locks.
and good luck y'all.