Property Tax Surprise.

Jeff Thies

Sep 7, 2010, 8:21:35 AM9/7/10
I appealed my property taxes last year and just got the new bill.

Last year it was ~$1,400.

This year, $33.43. Take that OhioGuy!

The house value fell by about 2/3 and it was enough for the
exemptions to cover most of the assessed.

The world is run by loons.

Jeff

Message has been deleted

Napoleon

Sep 8, 2010, 8:59:43 AM9/8/10
On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:21:35 -0400, Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net>
wrote:

> I appealed my property taxes last year and just got the new bill.
> Last year it was ~$1,400.
> This year, $33.43. Take that OhioGuy!

I'm still waiting for my new assessment after my appeal. I'm assuming
the assessment will only go down $100, if that. Just because. We had
about 10 comps, and the assessor had only 1 (which was also the same
one we had). Then we averaged all the comps and if the world was sane
(which it is not) the assessment should go down $15,000. But it won't,
just because. We pay $4,000 a year! On a $100,000 assessment which
should be $85,000. Wouldn't you love to live here!

Oh, did you know foreclosure sales are not fair market sales? I don't
see why not. It's what some one is willing to pay in the fair market,
which is a market full of foreclosures. It's not my fault the country
is shit.

> The world is run by loons.

Oh. Did you also know town board of assessors can make any decision
they want regarding assessments, whether it is arbitrary or
capricious? And they don't have to explain their arbitrary and
capricious decision.

I recommend that everyone appeal their tax assessments, just to see
what a fucked up world this is. Ask questions of the assessor/attorney
and see what ridiculous answers they spew. It's fun!

Bob F

Sep 8, 2010, 10:56:48 AM9/8/10
Napoleon wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 08:21:35 -0400, Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I appealed my property taxes last year and just got the new bill.
>> Last year it was ~$1,400.
>> This year, $33.43. Take that OhioGuy!
>
> I'm still waiting for my new assessment after my appeal. I'm assuming
> the assessment will only go down $100, if that. Just because. We had
> about 10 comps, and the assessor had only 1 (which was also the same
> one we had). Then we averaged all the comps and if the world was sane
> (which it is not) the assessment should go down $15,000. But it won't,
> just because. We pay $4,000 a year! On a $100,000 assessment which
> should be $85,000. Wouldn't you love to live here!
>
> Oh, did you know foreclosure sales are not fair market sales? I don't
> see why not. It's what some one is willing to pay in the fair market,
> which is a market full of foreclosures. It's not my fault the country
> is shit.
>
>> The world is run by loons.
>
> Oh. Did you also know town board of assessors can make any decision
> they want regarding assessments, whether it is arbitrary or
> capricious? And they don't have to explain their arbitrary and
> capricious decision.

I did. Got my assessment knocked down 30%. They were very helpful. They even
have people to help you do it right.

Dan Birchall

Sep 18, 2010, 6:23:43 PM9/18/10
Napoleon wrote:
> Jeff Thies <jeff_...@att.net> wrote:
> > I appealed my property taxes last year and just got the new bill.
> > Last year it was ~$1,400. This year, $33.43. Take that OhioGuy!

> I recommend that everyone appeal their tax assessments, just to see

> what a fucked up world this is.

I'm not appealing, since the $25/year I pay is the minimum allowable by
law in this part of Hawaii. :)

--
"If you like to stand on your head and spit pickles in the snow, on the
Internet there are at least three other people just like you."