AAA question

1 view

VFW

Mar 3, 2010, 12:57:33 AM3/3/10
I was thinking of getting a car towed but why not join AAA and get the
tow partially paid for/ But the question is, do they insist on a period
of time before you may take advantage of that service?
--
Money; What a Concept !

Al

Mar 3, 2010, 8:39:34 AM3/3/10

I have known people who have done what you are contemplating. One lady
left her keys in the car while shopping and the police would no longer
perform the key entry service so she joined AAA and had them come over
the next day. What you have is a "pre-existing condition." The Obama
administration is going to make it illegal to deny you service in this
situation.

PS. And why does the car need to be towed? Maybe it can be fixed in
place. Or are you just living in a disabled car now and want to move?

Message has been deleted

Al

Mar 3, 2010, 6:32:35 PM3/3/10
On Mar 3, 9:17 am, barbie gee <boo...@nosespam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, VFW wrote:
> > I was thinking of getting a car towed but why not join AAA and get the
> > tow partially paid for/ But the question is, do they insist on a period
> > of time before you may take advantage of that service?
>
> Call your insurance guy and see if your auto insurance will cover towing.
> Many companies do, and they don't hold it against your policy driving
> record.

Turns out it's a 40 year old VW van and he doesn't even own it. He's
just lining up his ducks in case he does buy it.

Message has been deleted

Clincher

Mar 3, 2010, 11:17:52 PM3/3/10

"VFW" <geor...@toast.net> wrote in message

>I was thinking of getting a car towed but why not join AAA and get the
> tow partially paid for/ But the question is, do they insist on a period
> of time before you may take advantage of that service?

For the same reason you can't buy insurance for a burning building.

Like any insurance scheme, AAA is "buying" a lottery ticket from you. If AAA
"wins" (you don't need any tows), it makes money. If AAA "loses" (you do
need a tow) it loses money.

You are trying to "sell" them a lottery ticket that has already lost. AAA's
rule is to prevent people from doing exactly what you are trying to do.

Clincher

Mar 3, 2010, 11:21:36 PM3/3/10

"Clincher" <x...@xx.xx> wrote in message news:...

> "VFW" <geor...@toast.net> wrote in message
>>I was thinking of getting a car towed but why not join AAA and get the
>> tow partially paid for/ But the question is, do they insist on a period
>> of time before you may take advantage of that service?
>
> For the same reason you can't buy insurance for a burning building.

Damn. Somehow my mind slipped in a "Why" before "do they insist" in the OP's
question. Never mind, then.

Al

Mar 4, 2010, 7:57:44 AM3/4/10
On Mar 3, 11:21 pm, "Clincher" <x...@xx.xx> wrote:
> "Clincher" <x...@xx.xx> wrote in message news:...
>
> > "VFW" <george...@toast.net> wrote in message

> >>I was thinking of getting a car towed but why not join AAA and get the
> >> tow partially paid for/ But the question is, do they insist on a period
> >> of time before you may take advantage of that service?
>
> > For the same reason you can't buy insurance for a burning building.
>
> Damn. Somehow my mind slipped in a "Why" before "do they insist" in the OP's
> question. Never mind, then.

You were reading logically and inserted the "why." VFW is essentially
looking for a way to steal money. AAA knows this sort of thing goes on
and the extra cost is socialized among all purchasers, but it's still
theft.

SMS

Mar 12, 2010, 12:27:40 PM3/12/10

Around 1982 our AAA affiliate (CSAA) was pushing "All Risk" insurance to
their auto insurance policy holders. It was somewhat like an extended
warranty, but it was a yearly fee added onto your car insurance. I fell
for the hard sell because I had already had a few problems with my 3
year old car.

The "All Risk" coverage was poorly written and did not exclude wear
items other than brakes. So shocks, struts, clutches, and CV joints,
were all covered.

About two years after I got the policy, my transmission went out. AAA
paid $2200 for a new transmission, then told me they were canceling my
insurance (all of it, not just the "All Risk" portion). I convinced them
to let me keep the regular insurance part of the insurance.

I'd never go back to CSAA insurance. Change the C to a U for the best
insurance.