Soup bouillion cubes

aesthete8

Feb 21, 2010, 6:43:00 PM2/21/10
Any recommendations?

SMS

Feb 21, 2010, 7:21:31 PM2/21/10
aesthete8 wrote:
> Any recommendations?

Try "Better than Bouillon."

"http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon"

We get their organic product at Costco in 16 ounce jars. I don't
remember the price, I think it's around $10 though.

Joh...@badisp.org

Feb 21, 2010, 11:05:11 PM2/21/10
SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:

Only if you like sweet soup. Of course if you're making a soup or dish
that's supposed to be sweet go right ahead. Americans generally ruin a
whole lot of products with their penchant for sweetness (boosts the
food industry profits).

Examples: bread, ham, soups, and worst of all, Heinz Baked Beans.
Actually any baked beans. Try the UK, Canadian, or Australian
versions, most often by the same manufacturer.

Of course Americans are so used to the inappropriate use of sweeteners
they actually like these adulterated products. I remember one episode
of America's Test Kitchen where the dish called for bread. The head
honcho made a big effort to get non-sweet bread but his assistants
(women of a certain age) actually said they preferred Wonder bread. I
suppose it depends on what you had as a child.

Message has been deleted

aesthete8

Feb 23, 2010, 4:17:06 PM2/23/10
On Feb 21, 6:05 pm, John...@BadISP.org wrote:
> SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> >aesthete8wrote:

Interesting observation about sweetness.

For a couple of years, I didn't eat ice cream because it was really
expensive where I lived.

Then when I moved, ice cream was cheaper so I began eating it.

At first, I was surprised by how sweet it was.

But I must have gotten used to it after awhile because I began putting
more sugar into my coffee.

SMS

Feb 23, 2010, 6:32:40 PM2/23/10
Joh...@BadISP.org wrote:
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> aesthete8 wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>> Try "Better than Bouillon."
>>
>> "http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon"
>>
>> We get their organic product at Costco in 16 ounce jars. I don't
>> remember the price, I think it's around $10 though.
>
> Only if you like sweet soup. Of course if you're making a soup or dish
> that's supposed to be sweet go right ahead. Americans generally ruin a
> whole lot of products with their penchant for sweetness (boosts the
> food industry profits).

It's got a little cane sugar in it (no HFCS) but it is still salty. Far
less sodium than bouillon cubes.

Tennessee Tony

Feb 26, 2010, 11:54:21 AM2/26/10
Joh...@BadISP.org wrote:
> SMS <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote:
>
>> aesthete8 wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>> Try "Better than Bouillon."
>>
>> "http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon"
>>
>> We get their organic product at Costco in 16 ounce jars. I don't
>> remember the price, I think it's around $10 though.

I never cook with bouillon, I use base. Like beef base, chicken base...
probably 10 or more times stronger flavor without all the salt and
often can be found with no MSG either.

Feb 26, 2010, 12:31:27 PM2/26/10

"Tennessee Tony" <tenness...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I never cook with bouillon, I use base. Like beef base, chicken base...
> probably 10 or more times stronger flavor without all the salt and often
> can be found with no MSG either.

Agreed. Much better and you use less.

john mayfield

Mar 4, 2010, 10:30:25 AM3/4/10

"aesthete8" <art...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Interesting observation about sweetness.

when i was a child they used to say, 'sugar is something that makes things
taste bitter'.

tea with milk is naturally sweet because milk contains suger. start adding
extra sugar to your tea and after a little while the tea and milk tastes
bitter without that extra sugar. you know the moral of this story !

sf

Mar 4, 2010, 8:39:20 PM3/4/10
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:21:31 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

I don't understand why people recommend that product. It's just as
salty as bullion cubes.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

SMS

Mar 4, 2010, 9:38:36 PM3/4/10
sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:21:31 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> aesthete8 wrote:
>>> Any recommendations?
>>>
>> Try "Better than Bouillon."
>>
>> "http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon"
>>
>> We get their organic product at Costco in 16 ounce jars. I don't
>> remember the price, I think it's around $10 though.
>
> I don't understand why people recommend that product. It's just as
> salty as bullion cubes.

It has _far_ less salt than bullion cubes. No comparison.

Lou

Mar 5, 2010, 7:46:29 PM3/5/10

"SMS" <scharf...@geemail.com> wrote in message

A couple of diametrically opposed assertions, no facts.

Products differ widely, so it's hard to be sure. According to their
websites, a serving of Better Than Bouillon chicken base contains 680 mg of
sodium, while a serving of Herb-Ox chicken bouillan contains 1100 mg of
sodium. What I can't find is whether the servings are commensurate - a
serving of Herb-Ox may make two cups of broth while a serving of Better than
Bouillon may make only one, for instance.

SMS

Mar 6, 2010, 8:07:59 AM3/6/10
Lou wrote:
> What I can't find is whether the servings are commensurate - a
> serving of Herb-Ox may make two cups of broth while a serving of Better than
> Bouillon may make only one, for instance.

The organic "Better than Bouillon" jar I have shows 350mg of sodium per
teaspoon (1 serving) which is equivalent to one bouillon cube (according
to the jar). The Herb Ox cubes are 1100 mg of sodium--more than 3x.

The reason I made the statement, "It has _far_ less salt than bouillon
cubes. No comparison" is because it has far less salt.

"Better than Bouillon" is much more expensive than buying a jar of
Knorr's Bouillon powder. A 35 ounce jar of Knorr's is $5.50 and is
equivalent to 166 cubes. The 16 ounce jar of "Better than Bouillon" is
about $10 and is equivalent to 76 cubes, plus it's perishable once opened.

Lou

Mar 6, 2010, 12:03:43 PM3/6/10

> Lou wrote:
> > What I can't find is whether the servings are commensurate - a
> > serving of Herb-Ox may make two cups of broth while a serving of Better
than
> > Bouillon may make only one, for instance.
>
> The organic "Better than Bouillon" jar I have shows 350mg of sodium per
> teaspoon (1 serving) which is equivalent to one bouillon cube (according
> to the jar). The Herb Ox cubes are 1100 mg of sodium--more than 3x.
>
> The reason I made the statement, "It has _far_ less salt than bouillon
> cubes. No comparison" is because it has far less salt.

I'm not disputing your numbers, though the Better Than Bouillon web site
says a serving of their chicken base (1 teaspoon) has 680 mg of sodium -
almost twice as much as what you quote.

But it doesn't address the question of commensurate servings - how much
water does the package say to use with 1 teaspoon of Better Than Bouillan?
How much water does the package say to use with one cube of Herb Ox? I
didn't see that information on the web site for either product, and since I
don't use this kind of stuff, I can't check in my own kitchen.

Also, whatever the answer in this specific case, that provides the relative
amounts of sodium between Herb Ox and Better Than Bouillan, not between
Better Than Bouillon and bouillan cubes generally. For all I know, Herb Ox
may have more sodium than most, or less, or anything in between.

Lastly, Herb Ox also provides sodium-free versions that have zero grams of
sodium per serving.

SMS

Mar 6, 2010, 12:40:08 PM3/6/10
Lou wrote:

> I'm not disputing your numbers, though the Better Than Bouillon web site
> says a serving of their chicken base (1 teaspoon) has 680 mg of sodium -
> almost twice as much as what you quote.

I see the problem. The jar I have is "Organic, Better than Boullion,
Reduced Sodium." It is not on their web site. Maybe it's a Costco-only
product. Often Costco gets manufacturers to produce higher quality,
Costco-Only SKUs that other stores can't get.

UPC 098308217114 (I added it to the UPC database).

Serving Size: 1 tsp (6g)
Calories: 15
Calories from fat: 5
Total fat: 0.5g
Sodium: 350mg
Total Carbohydrates: 2g
Protein: 0g

sf

Mar 8, 2010, 2:59:06 AM3/8/10
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:38:36 -0800, SMS <scharf...@geemail.com>
wrote:

> It has _far_ less salt than bullion cubes. No comparison.

The taste of salt in it is overwhelming.

sf

Mar 8, 2010, 3:01:49 AM3/8/10
On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 12:03:43 -0500, "Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Lastly, Herb Ox also provides sodium-free versions that have zero grams of
> sodium per serving.

Now that's interesting! I'll look for it. I've been underwhelmed by
"better than bullion"... it doesn't live up to its name.

gggg...@gmail.com

May 29, 2020, 7:24:59 PM5/29/20
On Sunday, February 21, 2010 at 3:43:00 PM UTC-8, aesthete8 wrote:
> Any recommendations?

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/241609/best-bouillon-cubes-and-soup-starters/

ItsJoan NotJoann

May 29, 2020, 10:46:55 PM5/29/20
Bored, are we? Digging up ten (10) year old posts to reply?