typical fees & taxes on cable internet?

Ohioguy

Oct 27, 2010, 2:27:36 PM10/27/10
I was about to sign up for Time Warner Cable Internet, which I saw
advertised for $35 a month, when I noticed that it said "For the first
12 months". After I did some digging, I found that the regular price it
would revert to is $45. I'm guessing with taxes, that I would pay over
$50 a month.

I did some more research, and found that I can get Verizon dry loop
DSL for $30 a month, regular price. I also found Netzero & Juno DSL for
$23 a month, but they appear to really be the same thing, and both add
a network management surcharge of $3 - so really $26/month. I'm not
sure those are dry loop/naked like the Verizon deal is, so I may be
comparing apples to oranges.

The Earthlink cable deal may actually be the best deal for me:

http://www.earthlink.net/access/cable.faces

Basic (DSL like speeds) for $30, standard cable for $42, & 'Cable
Max' for $52.

My big question is this: how much do typical taxes and fees add on to
these listed amounts? I've never had anything more than dialup internet
and a phone line. Taxes & fees on the phone line alone were about 30%,
but thankfully there are no taxes of any kind on my dialup. I'm
guessing that would change with high speed internet. The only info I
can find says "Earthlink may charge extra for taxes, certain fees,
shipping and handling, additional equipment".

Can anyone give me a rough breakdown of how much $$ I'd be adding to
the $30 or $42 Earthlink costs for a monthly bill?

Thanks!

Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Oct 27, 2010, 10:59:10 PM10/27/10
On 10/27/10 11:27, Ohioguy wrote:

> I was about to sign up for Time Warner Cable Internet, which I saw
> advertised for $35 a month,

What kind of speed do they offer? Whatever it is, assume you'll get
more than half but less than 100%.

> when I noticed that it said "For the first
> 12 months". After I did some digging, I found that the regular price it
> would revert to is $45. I'm guessing with taxes, that I would pay over
> $50 a month.

Don't know about the taxes, but if you threaten to quit when your 12
months are up they'll probably relent and give you another year at the
'introductory' rate. We've been on the 'introductory' rate for 6 or 7
years now.

--
Cheers, Bev
It doesn't matter who you vote for, the government always gets in.

Gordon

Oct 27, 2010, 11:10:02 PM10/27/10
Ohioguy <no...@none.net> wrote in news:qb_xo.3622$qg3...@newsfe14.iad:

Other add ons are typicly a modem flease fee of $5.00 per month.
I don't think Vz does this, yet.

Have you checked out DSL Extreme for DSL service?