mini computers

Ohioguy

May 27, 2010, 3:04:59 PM5/27/10
I've been looking for something like this in the $150-$250 range for
a while - tiny PC that can be wall mounted:

http://shop.revonate.com/Refurbished_Acer_Aspire_Revo_AR1600_U910_p/L-PT.SCL05.004.htm

I would pay an extra $35-$40 for one that has just enough space to
add an internal DVD burner, so that I could archive music and videos.
Then I'd pay another $40 on top of that for one that had the power of
one of those AMD energy saving dual core Athlon II's.

Probably 60% of the time on this would be spent listening to music or
watching videos, 20% web browsing, and the other 20% a mix of casual
gaming, writing and perhaps VOIP.

Can anyone clue me in on something that would at the very least allow
for the DVD burner, or is this about the best that I'm going to find?

Thanks!

Al

May 27, 2010, 4:00:49 PM5/27/10
On May 27, 3:04 pm, Ohioguy <n...@none.net> wrote:
>    I've been looking for something like this in the $150-$250 range for
> a while - tiny PC that can be wall mounted:
>
> http://shop.revonate.com/Refurbished_Acer_Aspire_Revo_AR1600_U910_p/L...

>    I would pay an extra $35-$40 for one that has just enough space to
> add an internal DVD burner, so that I could archive music and videos.
> Then I'd pay another $40 on top of that for one that had the power of
> one of those AMD energy saving dual core Athlon II's.
>
>    Probably 60% of the time on this would be spent listening to music or
> watching videos, 20% web browsing, and the other 20% a mix of casual
> gaming, writing and perhaps VOIP.
>
>    Can anyone clue me in on something that would at the very least allow
> for the DVD burner, or is this about the best that I'm going to find?
>
>                                                Thanks!

You can't have it both ways. This is a mini PC. There does not look
like room for a DVD. The processor is slow. The memory is low, but
enough for XP. The power supply is only 65W. That low power supply is
because of no i/o devices. You'd have to use USB devices with their
own power supply. The value to price ratio is not there for me. Hey,
you got a new bigger house. Spread out and live a little. You could
find the equivalent PC with DVD at a garage sale for under $50 with
some luck.

Rod Speed

May 28, 2010, 1:24:44 PM5/28/10
Ohioguy wrote:

> I've been looking for something like this in the $150-$250 range for a while - tiny PC that can be wall mounted:

> http://shop.revonate.com/Refurbished_Acer_Aspire_Revo_AR1600_U910_p/L-PT.SCL05.004.htm

Why ? You arent in the double wide anymore. The world's moved on.

> I would pay an extra $35-$40 for one that has just enough space to
> add an internal DVD burner, so that I could archive music and videos.

It doesnt make any sense to archive to DVD anymore, it makes a hell
of a lot more sense to use terabyte hard drives for that instead now.

> Then I'd pay another $40 on top of that for one that had the power of one of those AMD energy saving dual core Athlon
> II's.

Then it makes a lot more sense to start with a real PC instead,
in a very small case if you absolutely must have that.

> Probably 60% of the time on this would be spent listening to music or watching videos, 20% web browsing, and the other
> 20% a mix of casual gaming, writing

Then you would be much better off with a real PC.

> and perhaps VOIP.

Voip is best done with a discrete ATA or a broadband router that includes voip functionality.

> Can anyone clue me in on something that would at the very least allow for the DVD burner,

You can use an external DVD burner.

> or is this about the best that I'm going to find?

Nope, the best is to get someone to build a real PC in the sort of case you need.

But you really need to think thru that requirement for something
that small because it limits your choice so drastically.

Is that because you want to have it in the main living area and want it to not be very visible ?

You really should consider that the TV etc is much bigger than that
so there isnt any real point in what the PC occupys space wise.

Corse she who must be obeyed may be laying down the law on that.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gordon

May 30, 2010, 5:08:23 PM5/30/10