Non-stick pans

The Real Bev

Mar 30, 2011, 6:57:10 PM3/30/11
Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

--
Cheers, Bev

Subscribe today to "Fire in the Hole - the Quarterly Journal
for Incinerator Toilet Enthusiasts" -- Andrew

J Burns

Mar 30, 2011, 9:34:06 PM3/30/11
On 3/30/11 6:57 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
> willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

Anolon nonstick cookware seems more durable than most. It uses DuPont
Autograph 2.
Here's DuPont's page describing their current teflon coatings and
inviting email inquiries.
http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon/en_US/products/cookware_coatings/index.html

Michael Black

Mar 30, 2011, 10:11:10 PM3/30/11
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, The Real Bev wrote:

> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
> willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

Why?

I had two consecutive non-stick frying pans, and I took care of them,
but the coating came off both times, if I recall the second one lasted
a fairly short time.

I got a cheap stainless steel frying pan with an aluminum plate on the
bottom and it works fine, and I don't expect it to somehow go bad. I paid
something like ten dollars for it at some small kitchen store during a
sidewalk sale. I was so happy with that, I bought a nice pot with
steamer insert for about $20 at a similar store and sale, again with
a nice aluminum plate on the bottom.

I don't miss the non-stick, indeed I think I got the non-stick frying
pans mostly because that's what there was at a price I was willing
to spend.

Michael

Rod Speed

Mar 30, 2011, 11:05:30 PM3/30/11
Michael Black wrote
> The Real Bev wrote

>> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

> Why?

Because its handy to not have to bother using any oil etc.

The Real Bev

Mar 31, 2011, 12:48:19 AM3/31/11
On 03/30/11 19:11, Michael Black wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
>> willing to use plastic/wood utensils...
>>
> Why?

Because I don't want to scratch off the coating with steel utensils and
you don't actually need them if the coating actually works.

> I had two consecutive non-stick frying pans, and I took care of them,
> but the coating came off both times, if I recall the second one lasted
> a fairly short time.

I'd like to avoid that. I hate to throw things away and I'll suffer
using crap rather than pitch it in the trash before it's annoyed me for
at least a couple of years.

> I got a cheap stainless steel frying pan with an aluminum plate on the
> bottom and it works fine, and I don't expect it to somehow go bad. I paid
> something like ten dollars for it at some small kitchen store during a
> sidewalk sale. I was so happy with that, I bought a nice pot with
> steamer insert for about $20 at a similar store and sale, again with
> a nice aluminum plate on the bottom.

I've got some nice pans that I'm careful with, but they're too big for
most things. I want it for pancakes, scrambled eggs, etc. The eggs are
a real bitch.

> I don't miss the non-stick, indeed I think I got the non-stick frying
> pans mostly because that's what there was at a price I was willing
> to spend.

Some of us are slobs and wash dishes BY HAND once a week, if that. Easy
counts for a lot.

--
Cheers, Bev
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

John Weiss

Mar 31, 2011, 1:41:01 AM3/31/11
The Real Bev wrote:

> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
> willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

I gave up on Teflon a long time ago. I use Calphalon hard anodized
aluminum pans for most things now. You still need to use a little oil,
but most stuff washes off readily.

J Burns

Mar 31, 2011, 5:05:14 AM3/31/11

DuPont says the advantage of "Classic Teflon" is that it's cheap. My
problem was not scraping the finish but that it would gradually lose its
non-stick quality. I'd end up using oil.

They say some of their newer finishes are several times more durable,
and some professional chefs love them.

I quit in favor if raw linseed oil. Linseed oil hardens fast. I clean
an iron skillet, use a paper napkin to wipe on a couple of drops of
linseed, set my electric burner to bring it up to about 350 degrees as
indicated by IR thermometer, and let the finish bake, occasionally
wiping on a couple of drops of oil. The result is like Teflon, but it's
cheap and easy to refurbish.

I don't even do that since I discovered Armour Lard. Polyunsaturated
fats in vegetable oils gum up a pan. Armour lard is mostly saturated
and monounsaturated. If my pan is dirty after frying something, I bake
biscuits in it. The residual fat sticks to the biscuits, adding flavor
to the biscuits and leaving the pan clean.

RicodJour

Mar 31, 2011, 2:39:56 PM3/31/11

Eating plastic of any kind doesn't make things more palatable. Use
cast iron and don't burn things. It'll outlast you and your kids,
they can be picked up at garage sales, and most times you can clean
them by just wiping them with a paper towel. That's the most frugal
way to go by far.

Bob F

Mar 31, 2011, 4:32:36 PM3/31/11
RicodJour wrote:

> Eating plastic of any kind doesn't make things more palatable. Use
> cast iron and don't burn things. It'll outlast you and your kids,
> they can be picked up at garage sales, and most times you can clean
> them by just wiping them with a paper towel. That's the most frugal
> way to go by far.

After using the cast iron, I scrape them out and run a tiny bit of water into
them, brush them out with my dish brush, and rinse them. Shake out the water,
then lightly butter them while they are still warm. That keeps them "non-stick",
especially for things like eggs. Soap never touches them.

Kalmia

Mar 31, 2011, 4:56:36 PM3/31/11

No. Eventually, they all wear away, at least in my experience. I wish
I'd put my money into decent stainless.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sofa Slug

Mar 31, 2011, 7:00:00 PM3/31/11
On 3/31/2011 11:39 AM, RicodJour wrote:
> On Mar 31, 12:48 am, The Real Bev<bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> <snipped>

>> Some of us are slobs and wash dishes BY HAND once a week, if that. Easy
>> counts for a lot.
>
> Eating plastic of any kind doesn't make things more palatable. Use
> cast iron and don't burn things. It'll outlast you and your kids,
> they can be picked up at garage sales, and most times you can clean
> them by just wiping them with a paper towel. That's the most frugal
> way to go by far.

I agree. Using Teflon pans can be a bit risky unless you're careful:
http://snipr.com/nonstick-cookware-risks ...My family's health is more
important to me than saving a bit of time or a few $; I'll stick with
stainless & cast iron.

The Real Bev

Mar 31, 2011, 7:59:52 PM3/31/11

Absolutely blank.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Bob F

Apr 1, 2011, 11:48:46 PM4/1/11
Derald wrote:

> "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After using the cast iron, I scrape them out and run a tiny bit of
>> water into them, brush them out with my dish brush, and rinse them.
>> Shake out the water, then lightly butter them while they are still
>> warm. That keeps them "non-stick", especially for things like eggs.
>> Soap never touches them.
> IME, that's as much overkill as not washing one's "egg pan". I've
> never understood the cast iron mystique: Keeping cast iron fit to use
> is no great mystery. For 30+ years, DW&I regularly use cast iron
> cookware that I inherited from my paternal grandmother as well as,
> much more recently, from my mother; some of them, I have used since
> 1970. The cast iron gets washed, along with the other cookware, by
> hand after every use with regular dishwashing detergent, rinsed in
> the hottest available water, towel-dried and (when it's available)
> placed in a warm oven for a brief period. When necessary, food
> residue gets scoured away with a plastic "Chore Boy" or "Scotch
> Something" pad with no ill effect. I conscientiously prevent the
> build up of any oil beyond the residual, nearly undetectable, amount
> required to keep the iron properly "seasoned" and that ain't much.
> For what it's worth, I'm able to fry eggs in the same pan in which I
> am able to cook pancakes and without adding oil prior to either.

Sounds like a lot more work to me.

Vic Smith

Apr 2, 2011, 12:30:20 PM4/2/11
On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 20:48:46 -0700, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I like the even heating of cast iron. I think.
But you can find thick bottom steel that works as well.
Best of all worlds: teflon coated enameled cast iron.
What's real funny about cast iron is all the BS about cleaning.
Have to wash because the oils go rancid.
Don't use soap because that washes out the "seasoning."
What's the "seasoning?" Old rancid oil!
When I fished in Canada years ago the Indian guides kept cast iron
skillets in their kits to fry up shore lunch over a camp fire.
After lunch they just wiped the skillets out with old dried up loose
pine needles before tossing them back in the box.
Food was delicious, but fishing for 6 hours can make you hungry.
My wife is a professional chef and doesn't like cast iron.
She's a non-religious teflon pagan.
If I ever decide to convert her to cast iron I'm going to have to find
a dried pine needle supplier to make it work.

--Vic

Message has been deleted

Lou

Apr 3, 2011, 12:44:51 PM4/3/11

"Vic Smith" <thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote in message
(snipped)

> I like the even heating of cast iron. I think.
> But you can find thick bottom steel that works as well.
> Best of all worlds: teflon coated enameled cast iron.
> What's real funny about cast iron is all the BS about cleaning.
> Have to wash because the oils go rancid.
> Don't use soap because that washes out the "seasoning."
> What's the "seasoning?" Old rancid oil!
> When I fished in Canada years ago the Indian guides kept cast iron
> skillets in their kits to fry up shore lunch over a camp fire.
> After lunch they just wiped the skillets out with old dried up loose
> pine needles before tossing them back in the box.
> Food was delicious, but fishing for 6 hours can make you hungry.
> My wife is a professional chef and doesn't like cast iron.
> She's a non-religious teflon pagan.
> If I ever decide to convert her to cast iron I'm going to have to find
> a dried pine needle supplier to make it work.

Some mumble-odd decades ago, I lived in Atlanta GA for a year. North of the
city, people had beautiful yards - thick green grass, azaleas, rhododendrons
, flowering bulbs, flowering trees, in abundance. Spring in the
neighborhood looked like pictures in a seed catalog. There were beds under
the trees for the low growing shrubs, and the beds were mulched. The mulch
was pine needles. People would buy dried pine needles by the bale - you'd
see the bales sitting under the trees when they were bought/delivered, prior
to being spread.

I don't know if they also used cast-iron, but dried pine needle suppliers
exist.

Vic Smith

Apr 3, 2011, 3:24:11 PM4/3/11
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 12:44:51 -0400, "Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Some mumble-odd decades ago, I lived in Atlanta GA for a year. North of the
>city, people had beautiful yards - thick green grass, azaleas, rhododendrons
>, flowering bulbs, flowering trees, in abundance. Spring in the
>neighborhood looked like pictures in a seed catalog. There were beds under
>the trees for the low growing shrubs, and the beds were mulched. The mulch
>was pine needles. People would buy dried pine needles by the bale - you'd
>see the bales sitting under the trees when they were bought/delivered, prior
>to being spread.
>
>I don't know if they also used cast-iron, but dried pine needle suppliers
>exist.

Never knew that, or noticed it at the store.
Wife always buys wood chip mulch.
I'll see if I can convert her to pine straw mulch instead of cast
iron. Easier for me.

--Vic

marco polo

Apr 3, 2011, 5:35:33 PM4/3/11
.
I prefer non stick

It's easier to clean, and that does it for me

marc

Dennis

Apr 6, 2011, 3:31:12 PM4/6/11
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:57:10 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
>willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

I bought a set of 3 ceramic-coated non-stick frying pans last year
(~US$60 on sale). So far, so good wear-wise -- we'll see. They do
need a drip of oil for cooking and non-metal utensils are recommended,
but eggs over-easy slide out like a dream.

http://www.safepan.com/index.jsp

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin

The Real Bev

Apr 15, 2011, 7:09:02 PM4/15/11
On 03/30/11 15:57, The Real Bev wrote:

> Do any exist whose non-stickiness doesn't burn/scrape/wear off? I'm
> willing to use plastic/wood utensils...

Costco has a coupon for $5 off a pair of Tramontina frying pans with
Teflon Platinum coating which would end up at $20. Looked very nice.
Right next to them was a different Tramontina set with a 12" pan in
addition to the 10" and 8" that both sets had for $24. They appeared to
be the same thickness, although the more expensive set had lips that
curved slightly outward and had three rivets instead of two.

I figured I could use the big one for pancakes, so I bought the triple
set. The small pan has done imitation scrambled eggs (scrambled egg
powder and water) and fried eggs with flawless non-stickiness.

Can't find either set at the Costco website. I hate that, but I'm happy
with the pans so far.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's no piece of cake, but it sure beats listening to Ted

gggg gggg

Oct 22, 2021, 2:57:43 PM10/22/21