Frugal Kitchen Tip

Evelyn Leeper

Dec 3, 2008, 4:29:05 PM12/3/08
Go to the dollar store and buy however many iced tea spoons one can get
for a dollar these days. The long handles and small tips are perfect
for getting the last bits out of jars and cans, particularly tall ones.

For that matter, when you are using a can of, say, tomato sauce, and you
are also adding water to what you're cooking, put the water in the can
and swish it around to get all the sauce out.

You may not save lots of money, but you will get better value for your
money.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Be braver. You cannot cross a chasm in two small jumps.

Marsha

Dec 3, 2008, 7:12:07 PM12/3/08
Evelyn Leeper wrote:
> Go to the dollar store and buy however many iced tea spoons one can get
> for a dollar these days. The long handles and small tips are perfect
> for getting the last bits out of jars and cans, particularly tall ones.
>
> For that matter, when you are using a can of, say, tomato sauce, and you
> are also adding water to what you're cooking, put the water in the can
> and swish it around to get all the sauce out.
>
> You may not save lots of money, but you will get better value for your
> money.

My parents always added a bit of water to get that last drop of catsup
out of the bottle. I still do that, for whatever bit of money it saves.

Marsha

MSfo...@mcpmail.com

Dec 3, 2008, 8:02:23 PM12/3/08

A spoon works, but it's a waste of time. If it's something that sticks
to the can I can either cut both
ends off the can and push the lid through or use a rectangular
spatula made for the purpose. One scoop and the can is empty.

Seerialmom

Dec 4, 2008, 10:17:29 AM12/4/08

I just use a butter knife; does the same thing. One other trick I use
with some sauces is to take some of the cooked noodles while they're
hot and drop them into the can, swish them around to catch some of the
left over bits.

Seerialmom

Dec 4, 2008, 10:18:50 AM12/4/08

That's what I do for tomato paste; but I'm finding more and more cans
that no longer have a bottom you can cut. Especially annoying for
cream of chicken soup or refried beans.

Evelyn Leeper

Dec 4, 2008, 12:34:25 PM12/4/08
Seerialmom wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:29 pm, Evelyn Leeper <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> Go to the dollar store and buy however many iced tea spoons one can get
>> for a dollar these days. The long handles and small tips are perfect
>> for getting the last bits out of jars and cans, particularly tall ones.
>>
>> For that matter, when you are using a can of, say, tomato sauce, and you
>> are also adding water to what you're cooking, put the water in the can
>> and swish it around to get all the sauce out.
>>
>> You may not save lots of money, but you will get better value for your
>> money.
>
> I just use a butter knife; does the same thing. One other trick I use
> with some sauces is to take some of the cooked noodles while they're
> hot and drop them into the can, swish them around to catch some of the
> left over bits.

Maybe I use taller jars--certainly getting olives and capers out of tall
jars is easier with the added length of the iced tea spoon. but for
stuff like mayonnaise, a butter knife or spatula should work as well.

(I see that Miracle Whip now has a wider mouth jar to let you get the
end bit out--their squeeze jar wasted *way* too much!)

Seerialmom

Dec 4, 2008, 10:11:43 PM12/4/08

They probably do that by design figuring "most" people won't try to
get the last bits out and will buy a new jar. Now along the lines of
what you use the spoon for, you might want to keep your eyes open for
those handy "lifter" containers Tupperware has. I have a couple from
years ago, even though I rarely buy/use pickles, I did when the kids
were younger.

Good picture of the "Pick-a-Deli" here:

http://davidlevine.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/pickledeggs.jpg

Evelyn Leeper

Dec 5, 2008, 10:13:55 AM12/5/08

Looks like the pasta/corn cookers I've seen. I have one of those, but
the size of it means I don't use it very much, as it takes *forever* to
boil that amount of water! It is handy for people who have problems
lifting heavy pots though, since one can lift just the pasta/whatever
without the water and then deal with the pot of water later.

Seerialmom

Dec 5, 2008, 12:18:19 PM12/5/08

It's just a small plastic canister with an insert that you "lift" to
get the pickles or olives? Those pasta cookers they show on TV are
silly :p

Macuser

Dec 13, 2008, 6:18:41 PM12/13/08
My fave kitchen tip:

Don't waste your good money on softdrinks. Microwave a quart size container
of water with 4 teabags. Add sugar or artificial sweetener. Chill. Easy iced
tea costs you about 10 cents a quart. Add lemon if you like. It's delicious.

--
http://cashcuddler.com

"Thrift is sexy."