Now you need a Cellphone to enter a site

anthona

Feb 11, 2011, 8:34:30 PM2/11/11
On some sites that u may be interested in, a box appears asking you to
enter your cellphone number. What about those of us who do not have a
cellphone? This internet is getting crappier than ever.

Rod Speed

Feb 11, 2011, 9:08:46 PM2/11/11
anthona wrote:

> On some sites that u may be interested in, a box
> appears asking you to enter your cellphone number.
> What about those of us who do not have a cellphone?

You get to hang yourself.

> This internet is getting crappier than ever.

No one is holding a gun to your head and is forcing you to use it.

If someone is doing that, call the cops using your normal phone.

Michael Black

Feb 11, 2011, 10:14:05 PM2/11/11

Yes it certainly is, when idiots post off-topic to newsgroups.

How does this relate to frugality?

SInce you can't find the right place to post, likely you are confused
about this thing you post about.

Michael

Message has been deleted

Chief Thracian

Feb 12, 2011, 9:11:48 PM2/12/11
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:14:05 -0500, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca>
wrote:

>How does this relate to frugality?

Well duh...those who can't afford cell phones are quite appropriate
when requesting an alternative to cell phones, in order to enter a
contest, register, purchase, etc.

Try showing a little courtesy, it's frugal.

Al

Feb 13, 2011, 5:12:02 PM2/13/11

Just how many and give an example of such a site. When they ask for a
cell phone number, it generally involves messeging or talk/data
transmission in some way. When a site asks for a cell phone number out
of the blue or for them to send you the answer to something, that's a
scam to harvest your cell phone number. It sounds like you are lucky
you don't have a cell phone number to give as you would be a prime
target for a scam.

Coffee's For Closers

Feb 13, 2011, 11:59:07 PM2/13/11
In article <srhi-0D7020.22151911022011@unknown-98-136-209-
x.yahoo.com>, sr...@comcast.net says...
> In article
> <208064eb-b473-4dbc...@d28g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

> The only web sites I have seen that require that sort of information are
> for scams. Do you have some examples of other web sites that require a
> cell phone in order to use them, besides of course, sites that provide
> cell phone services.

I seem to recall that Craig's List was doing some kind of
authentication like this. Users in some areas of the site were
asked for a cell phone number to receive a TXT message with a
code to enter when making their post. Basically an anti-spam
measure, and also making it hard for one person to post with
multiple handles.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Bob F

Feb 14, 2011, 1:45:08 AM2/14/11

Even if I had a cell phone, I'd have no interest in making it easy for people to
make junk calls to it, sticking me with the bill.

Chief Thracian

Feb 18, 2011, 5:23:42 AM2/18/11
On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 22:45:08 -0800, "Bob F" <bobn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Even if I had a cell phone, I'd have no interest in making it easy for people to
>make junk calls to it, sticking me with the bill.

/Good/ point. Don't know how I missed including that; thanks!