recover heat from clothes dryer?

RickMerrill

Oct 11, 2009, 4:08:36 PM10/11/09
Has anyone found a way to recover the heat without
too much humidity and lint?

Lou

Oct 11, 2009, 7:10:40 PM10/11/09

"RickMerrill" <Rick0....@gmail.lessspam.com> wrote in message

> Has anyone found a way to recover the heat without
> too much humidity and lint?

Most of the heat generated by a clothes dryer is used to evaporate the water
contained in the clothes - to get it back, you'd have to condense the vapor
back to liquid water. Such machines exist - they're called condensing
dryers. They're not cheap.

If you just direct the vent from a normal dryer inside, the amount of
humidity is the same as you'd get if you hung the clothes up to dry inside,
though it probably gets dumped into the room in a shorter amount of time.

I'd worry more about lint - breathing it in.

sr

Oct 11, 2009, 10:47:10 PM10/11/09
For Lint. I've used a nylon stocking, you know , those panty hose things
over the duct
"Lou" <lpo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

RickMerrill

Oct 12, 2009, 7:53:07 AM10/12/09

I've used the nylon stocking trick also - but they are harder to find
these days!

I guess what I need is a way to measure the humidity remotely.

Mrs Irish Mike

Oct 12, 2009, 1:16:37 PM10/12/09
On Oct 12, 4:53 am, RickMerrill <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com>
wrote:

> sr wrote:
> > For Lint.  I've used a nylon stocking, you know , those panty hose things
> > over the duct
> > "Lou" <lpog...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> "RickMerrill" <Rick0.merr...@gmail.lessspam.com> wrote in message

> >> Most of the heat generated by a clothes dryer is used to evaporate the
> >> water
> >> contained in the clothes - to get it back, you'd have to condense the
> >> vapor
> >> back to liquid water.  Such machines exist - they're called condensing
> >> dryers.  They're not cheap.
>
> >> If you just direct the vent from a normal dryer inside, the amount of
> >> humidity is the same as you'd get if you hung the clothes up to dry
> >> inside,
> >> though it probably gets dumped into the room in a shorter amount of time.
>
> >> I'd worry more about lint - breathing it in.
>
> I've used the nylon stocking trick also - but they are harder to find
> these days!
>
> I guess what I need is a way to measure the humidity remotely.- Hide quoted text -

Seems to me that additional humididty is not a bad thing in the winter.

Lou

Oct 12, 2009, 9:17:23 PM10/12/09

"Mrs Irish Mike" <wilm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I'd tend to agree with that about humidity - can't see why anyone would want
to recover dryer heat in the summer.

The nylon stocking trick catches a lot of lint, but far from all of it. I
think you need something with a tighter weave to do a good job.